1998 1.6 Losing power - oilslick
When driving yesterday I accelerated, the rev count went up but the car did not respond, this happened a few times. I've driven the car this morning to test it and it seems to be ok, does this sound like a cam belt problem or something else, any guidance would be greatly appreciated

I have looked at some of the advice given to other problems on the site and thought it might be best to explain the problem I am having further to see if anyone can suggest what it might be, I have assumed it's the cam belt but not certain?
1998 1.6 Losing power - jc2
Not cambelt,clutch from the sound of it.
1998 1.6 Losing power - oilslick
Thanks for your reply, I'll get it looked at.
1998 1.6 Losing power - Rattle
My car started to to this recently, only about 30 miles later I was pulling out of a petrol station and nothing, plenty of revs but the clutch just kept slipping. If it was a cambelt issue I doubt your engine would even run.

It is exactly what is wrong with my car, and my suspicions were finally confirmed by a nasty friction smell, i.e the clutch plate.
1998 1.6 Losing power - rtj70
If the revs went up but no speed increase and then moments later the revs drop and you're speeding up... then it really does sound like a slipping clutch. If it is, who knows how much longer it will last.

Do get it checked out. I won't suggest some of the things I did to prove my clutch was slipping before because it might finish it off.