multi - car insurance - motorprop
Any ideas out there - my renewal comes up in 4 days - got to insure 2 Jap 4 x 4 's , have 9 years NCD , who are the companies doing ' multi - car ' policies ?

My existing insurers ( E Certain ) were very insouciant on the phone - didn't want to know , told me I need a 2nd policy , and the 2nd car cannot benefit from my NCD. My argument , that the 2nd car will do very low miles and that I can only drive one car at a time - can even do it 3rd party only with high excess... falls on deaf ears.

Had to buy a 5 door car to accommodate a wife and baby - didn't have those a year ago..

It's not worth selling the older car ( Shogun Pinin 3 door Auto on a W ) as the published value is about two grand and i've spent half that in the last year - new cam belt kit, air con recharge , tyres and a full service, so basically I might get offered £1500 or so for it - it's worth more as a back - up car, being totally reliable. Am sure others are in the same boat ?

Any tips on how to best insure ? the main newer car, a 2004 X Trail is coming in below £400 fully comp which is not bad. I can spend another say £200 on the Mitsu , but without NCD I'm being quoted £800 - 1000 , which I won't pay...

Oh, and I want my 63 y.o mother as a named driver on the Mitsu - she lives abroad now but spends 3 months a year living here - has had a full clean UK licence for almost 30 years

Edited by motorprop on 05/12/2008 at 18:15

multi - car insurance - Alby Back
Hi motorprop, there is a firm who advertise on this very site "Primo" I think. Just follow the links from the HJ home page down into insurance > multi insurance etc.

I got a very good quote from them for three cars.
multi - car insurance - martint123
You can't have two vehicles on one policy and have a named driver for only one of them (AFAIK).

It is quite normal for NCD not to be given for a second car, although it is improving with some insurers offering to match it.

You could try an old fashioned walk-in broker who should know who would do it. I'm sure some of the larger online outfits do this.

One downside of multi vehicles on a single policy is that all your NCD goes if a claim is made for any vehicle on the policy.
multi - car insurance - pmh2
Be aware that some companies do not like named drivers who are resident abroad. Even if they are born and bred in the Uk and hold a British licence.

Edited by pmh2 on 05/12/2008 at 18:57

multi - car insurance - Mapmaker
The NFU are supposed to be pretty good for that sort of thing. They're not a one-size-fits-all sort of outfit.
multi - car insurance - Ankita
Will they give multi insurance packages?

Edited by Ankita on 06/06/2011 at 12:35

multi - car insurance - LucyBC

Admiral and Direct Line are the main two for multicar.

Don't buy their legal insurance though. You need www.autolaw.co.uk toi cover all your family on a single policy.

multi - car insurance - Dan Brown 007

This site lists the main Multi Car Insurance companies. www.multicarinsurance.co.uk/guides/85-which-compan...l

I agree with the other people on this forum and say that Admiral and Direct Line are the largest multi car insurance providers.

multi - car insurance - MauritaSlauson

I was looking for a detailed list of companies that offer multi-car insurance. However, I am using this site to compare their quotes for multi car insurance https://www.comparefleetinsurance.co.uk/multi-car-quote/

If you have any other one then please share with me.

multi - car insurance - veloceman
Interesting comment about legal cover.
I have always done this costing around £30 per year.
Always thought this was expensive but have heard of insurance companies washing their hands of any technical problem.