00 1.9tdi Head gasket - s44seivad
hi. a while a go the coolant warning light came on so i stopped to check the level and fill it up,but when i opened the cap it was thick with oil. i have since had the head gasket replaced and the head has been skimmed, all was fine for about 100 miles but then oil appeared in the header tank, since this has happened i have isolated the oil cooler to see if this stops the oil getting into the water, but it has since returned and have no clue as what the problem is........ any ideas would be greatly recieved
thanks
00 1.9tdi Head gasket - Screwloose

It's nearly always the oil cooler. Once the oil gets into the system; it keeps appearing until you flush it out thoroughly.
but if the oil cooler is bypassed how is the engine still losing oil? is there another way the oil could escape?

Is it still losing oil? There will be a thick layer stuck to the whole of the cooling system; what have you used to clean it?

Exactly how have you by-passed the cooler?
yeah it lost about a litre in 60 miles but there was just a inch or so of oil in the header tank , my mechanic friend has bypassed it so i dont know exactly how hes done it,all he told me there is one pipe in and one pipe out?

Nothing's making sense here; an inch is the header tank is nowhere near a litre - so, even if you do have a cracked head, where did the rest go?
thats what i cant understand, when the head was skimmed it was also crack tested and it was fine, could the block be cracked or porus?

Anything's possible; but highly unlikely.
00 1.9tdi Head gasket - Peter D
A litre in 60 miles would over pressurise the cooling system and through water/oil out of the header tank pressure cap. Is the engine a bit smokey, it may worth removing the air pipe from the input to the intercooler and checking for excess oil that may be coming from leaky seals in the turbo. This may be cues by a blockage in the breather system and the scavenge return from the the turbo is not doing it's job and pressurising the seals. Regards Peter