2001 2.0 Diesel pump - tikk
Hi,
After my car stopped for no reason I took it to my local garage, who said it required a new main diesel pump, approx cost £700, as i could not afford to pay I sold the car on e-bay as a none runner, the mechanic who bought the car rang me 2 days later to say that there was nothing wrong with the pump the fault was the E.G.R. valve.
Has anyone heard of this happening as the fault was highlighted on a diagnostic machine
and the garage were certain it was the pump.

{Y reg, so that'll be 2001 then?}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/11/2008 at 10:23

2001 2.0 Diesel pump - Peter.N.
I dispair of modern cars and the and the garages that service them, not only are they much less reliable but considerably more expensive to repair, partly because many mechanics don't know enough about them.

I'm sticking to my '90s IDI engines, they are more reliable,the parts are much cheaper and you can repair them without ten grands worth of electronic equipment.
2001 2.0 Diesel pump - Altea Ego
I dont think a failed EGR valve causes it to stop or be a non runner.
It was sold as none runner as the garage had said the car required a new diesel pump,
The mechanic who bought it replaced the EGR valve and says the car works fine,
His quote was " any mechanic worth his salt would have checked the EGR valve first "
before saying the pump required replacing.
It was sold as none runner as the garage had said the car required a new diesel pump

snipquote

I think he is lying. As I said I don't think a failed egr valve stops the engine dead

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/11/2008 at 13:43

2001 2.0 Diesel pump - rtj70
I had a 2003 Mondeo TDCi (Euro IV) and a failed EGR valve caused the engine to initially rev erratically and it cut out. It would not then restart - it made a quacking type sound and the AA guy had never heard that before. New EGR and it was fine.

So a failed EGR valve can cause it to stop and fail to start.
then i stand corrected

2001 2.0 Diesel pump - rtj70
But being a company car under warranty I have only their word for it. And I would not be party to fault codes etc.
2001 2.0 Diesel pump - harib
What was the exact message from the diagnostics?

Sometimes it pays to get a 2nd opinion...
2001 2.0 Diesel pump - glowplug
Was he just trying to warn you off the garage that checked the car over?

But...

I can't help but think the guy was rubbing it in. In his position I would have kept quiet and thought myself lucky. Not very nice depending how he said it.

Steve.
I have used the garage that checked the car for several years, with friends and family we have 5 cars that are serviced and M.O.T's done there.
What makes me think the chap who bought the car was telling the truth is, when the garage wanted paying for what work had been done towing it in + finding the alleged fault, He did say ' if you want me to keep the car and call it quits with the bill'
after telling me the pump was about £700.

I personally think he was trying to warn me off the garage, but like you say I would have said nothing.
2001 2.0 Diesel pump - Screwloose

I'm still trying to conceive of a method whereby an EGR valve can stop an engine starting? A shorted electric one might affect other items on that circuit; but this year is likely to be a vacuum one.

What were the fault-codes that the garage found?
Not being a mechanic and having used this garage for several years I had no reason to doubt what they said about the pump being faulty, so I did not ask for a printout of the diagnostic test, although I must admit it has know crossed my mind to ask for the printout and get a second opinion.

The mechanic who bought the car actually lives 80 miles away so would have no reason to put my local garage down, apart from to warn me to be aware,
But he did say he checked the car changed the EGR valve and the car was fine