2005 2.0ltr Query when starting from cold - geran
Just a enquiry, after a cold night on Monday about 3 degrees went to start the car did all the usual waited for glow plug light to extinguish etc dash lit up as normal, but on trying to start it turning the key to position III nothing happened radio, heater still on dash as normal, it did not even try to turn over. I assumed to battery was shot (Jan 2005) but have had no indication that it was on its way out, tried jump leads still no response, by more luck than design I kept the key in the position III for approx three seconds and hey presto it fired straight up no turning over just fired straight up.

So I tried a new quality battery no issues all week, it was cold last night 1 degree so gave it a try this afternoon and the same thing happened position III for starting nothing turned back to position I then back to III held there for 2/3 seconds fired straight up, after letting it run for no more than a minute or so turned it off and tried again, this time started in the usual manner.

Have read the user manual but there is just the normal info on starting / cold starting though it does state " when in extremely cold conditions several attempts may be needed to crank the engine"

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/11/2008 at 13:31

2005 2.0ltr Query when starting from cold - Screwloose

Sounds more like a duff ignition switch or a failing starter relay.

Any sign of immobilizer distress - flashing LED/key lights etc.
2005 2.0ltr Query when starting from cold - geran
Hi, not had any other problems that I have noticed, just these two occasions and both were on cold days.

Thanks

Geran
2005 2.0ltr Query when starting from cold - jc2
Or duff contacts in the starter solenoid;my VW did this for years but always started eventually-one day I got round to stripping the starter motor and found the contacts and bridging strip in the starter solenoid were well pitted-a polish of the contacts cured all my problems.