FSA and Insurance comparison websites - daveyjp
FSA have concluded a review and noted some issues which need resolving to ensure comparison websites achieve their aim.

Excesses need to be explained
Too much emphasis on just comparing prices - users must be advised that other factors should also be compared
Some info was out of date on the sites leading to price differences when choosing an insurer.
Data from the comparison may not be transferred correctly to the insurance company

So use them, but always double check everything before entering into a contract.

Full review here:

tinyurl.com/47e6oh

My personal experience is that I wouldn't rely on them to provide me with an accurate or competitive quote

Edited by daveyjp on 13/11/2008 at 20:33

FSA and Insurance comparison websites - smokie
Agree. I recently took out house insurance through Tesco website. There was not a question about "any claims during past 12 months". When the policy arrived, one of the assumptions was "no claim in last 12 months". I called them, and the call centre operative was clearly aware of the omission, but re-issued my policy stating that I'd had a claim (£300) during the last year, with no increase in premium.

So, even after you've entered into a contract, check the paperwork when it arrives!
FSA and Insurance comparison websites - rtj70
When I took out insurance for the home with Tesco I needed to check about the no claim because there was no mention. I think they told me no more than 2 in a couple of years though not one in 12 months.

The deal I got with Tesco was nearly half of what I was paying before and more cover (e.g. accidental damage) because they had an offer.