Flash motors outside crap properties - motorprop
Went past a house fronting the A1. Outside on a driveway are a 3 year old BMW M3 convertible and a 4 year old 3 series coupe , I think also an M3

The house is peeling, windows are rotten and there are pieces of cardboard and newspaper on the windows instead of curtains ..

Ridiculous . Anybody with a credit history can fake almost any car - but you can't fake a house. Can also see a brand new Range Rover outside a really decrepit property not too far away .
Flash motors outside crap properties - Cheeky
Well there you go, money, even fake money, can't buy you class...
Flash motors outside crap properties - Hamsafar
It's easy to steal/ring/clone a car, but not a house.
Flash motors outside crap properties - Bromptonaut
Property comp purchased for highway purposes and then occupied by "squatters"?
Flash motors outside crap properties - Pugugly
or just genuinely wealthy people who don't worry about a bit of paint .
Flash motors outside crap properties - Lygonos
Cannabis Farm ? Blacked out windows required so you can't see the plants and/or 24hr lighting.
Flash motors outside crap properties - BobbyG
I regularly pass through a less desirable area of Glasgow and there is usually either a Range Rover or Bentley sitting out, obviously overnight, parked in the street.

I jumped to conclusions and assumed drug dealers but a chance conversation with someone I knew steered me in the direction that it was actually the mother of a family who lived there, old and ill and didn't want to go into a home. So her family took it in turns to stay over with her!
Flash motors outside crap properties - spikeyhead {p}
There's a Dizzee Rascal song that includes the lyrics

(he's a Rap artist that seems to have a significant quantity of brain.

Here's something that I should've stressed early on
Don't go spending all your money till it's gone
Cause the tax man's gonna want his paper when it's due
And there's nobody above the tax man, especially you
And another thing, buy a house before you buy a car
Don't tell no one where you are, even better if you're far
Everybody knows you're a gangsta and that Porsche looks great
But do you really want it sitting on that council estate

Some good advice there.

full lyrics here but don't read them at work.

smartlyrics.com/Song631479-DIZZEE-RASCAL-Hardback-Industry-lyrics.aspx

no, most of the adjoining houses looked neat. The A1 outside is 6 lanes , 3 in each direction. Not a smart location , very close and leading onto junction 2 of the M1
Flash motors outside crap properties - L'escargot
Went past a house fronting the A1. Outside on a driveway are a 3 year
old BMW M3 convertible and a 4 year old 3 series coupe I think also
an M3
The house is peeling windows are rotten and there are pieces of cardboard and newspaper
on the windows instead of curtains ..

Perhaps rented by university students.
Flash motors outside crap properties - ifithelps
...Perhaps rented by university students....

From a greedy landlord who can't even be bothered to carry out basic maintenance.
Flash motors outside crap properties - Sofa Spud
Another thought - perhaps the posh cars belonged to property developers who'd just bought the place, in which case they'll probably be driving 10 year old Vauxhall Corsas before long!!!!!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 03/11/2008 at 10:47

Flash motors outside crap properties - Sofa Spud
QUOTE:...""Ridiculous . Anybody with a credit history can fake almost any car - but you can't fake a house. Can also see a brand new Range Rover outside a really decrepit property not too far away . ""

You can't fake a house? Isn't that exactly what HAS been going on with sub-prime mortgages in USA and 'liar loans' over here?
Flash motors outside crap properties - madf
Drug dealers...
Flash motors outside crap properties - prm72
Brothel.......................clients cars?
SofaSpud - read my original posting : I don't and can't classify anybody living in such a rubbish property as having ' faked it ' - they've hardly faked it living on a 6 lane highway with cardboard for curtains .
Flash motors outside crap properties - OldSock
What a load of stereotyping drivel.

What people choose to spend their money on is their concern - not yours.
Flash motors outside crap properties - L'escargot

He doth protest too much, methinks ;-)
Flash motors outside crap properties - Alby Back
Wonder what demographic that makes us ? Pretty nice house but the cars....well.....utilitarian, might be the kindest description...........

;-)
Flash motors outside crap properties - Mapmaker
You and me both, then Humph. Except I can't park outside my house...
Flash motors outside crap properties - Pugugly
utilitarian, might be the kindest description...........

Eh ? It was an exclusive Mondeo a few posts ago !
Flash motors outside crap properties - Alby Back
Who was I kidding ?

;-)

Although it does seem to be in that exclusive group of Mondeo diesels which doesn't appear to know that they are supposed to be unreliable ( touches wood ) or is that maybe most of them.......?
Flash motors outside crap properties - OldSock
Sorry, L'escargot - that did sound a bit terse :-)

I did, however, find the term 'crap properties' a bit offensive.

Flash motors outside crap properties - Cliff Pope
What's happened to the famous swear filter? Don't we need to use "carp" anymore?
Have any other words been declassified?
I find stereotyping works very well for 90% of cases.

Especially for people who go on about it.

:-)

Definitely drug dealers....or pimps.
Flash motors outside crap properties - mattbod
Or paid for on finance by young lads still living with their parents who can only afford to put a tenner in the tank!
Flash motors outside crap properties - Sulphur Man
Or tidy house with good pointing and a 4yr old Astra outside? If you don't pay for one, you can afford the other.
Flash motors outside crap properties - Dynamic Dave
AFAIA 'crap' has never been in the swearfilter. If it was, then it was way before I became a moderator. I'm guessing that one backroomer many moons ago used the word 'carp' and others followed suit.

DD.
I plead guilty to originating carp...

We have cars outside our housw that would look in place in Mosside .. well sorry no they would not. More BMWs in Mosside: we have none...

(Mosside= drugs etc area of Manchester for the southern heathen wot know nuffink :-)

Edited by madf on 03/11/2008 at 14:15

Flash motors outside crap properties - Cliff Pope
It's just so British to want every aspect of a person's life to reflect his "status", and to feel disconcerted, threatened even, when encountering a rich person with a car like a wreck, or someone in a council house with a Rolls Royce.
Why is it so extraordinary that someone might care about his car but not his house, or his noble ancestry but not his clothes?
When I once worked as a decorator I met people who complained suspiciously that I didn't sound like a decorator.
Funny how people take comfort from the class system whatever level they are on. We know our place, and expect others to know theirs.
Flash motors outside crap properties - Westpig
that part of the A1 is in the London Borough of Barnet...which is very expensive house wise. Until the recent shenanigans with the property market you wouldn't get a house for much less than £275K in that Borough and that would be for a small terraced. Those one ones overlooking the A1 would be a lot more than that even if in poor repair, so i'd guess at least £350K - £400K.

Probably rented and fallen into disrepair.... or owned by the parents and the kids are spending their money on cars.
Flash motors outside crap properties - 1400ted
Moss Side not too bad now. Drug dealer lives opposite me a couple of miles to the South West of Moss Side. He is a right pain revving his borrowed Ferrari late at night and doing deals from car to car with the engines running.
Neighbours had a good laugh a couple of months ago when it arrived home in daylight on a flat bed and had to be pushed back towards his drive. Spent some time revving it like mad to get it up the kerb onto his drive and had to be pushed. Got a round of applause from those of us who had come out to watch ! Obviously clutch gone...that should cost nicely. It's not been on the road since. Perhaps he's back in Strangeways.
Ted
Flash motors outside crap properties - mrmender

Could not agree more! At the end of the day its none of the op's bussnes glad i don't next door to the op
Flash motors outside crap properties - Lud
I dunno mm, it would be amusing to see someone looking puzzled and disgusted every time they passed your house, especially if you knew what they were puzzled and disgusted about.

Personally if there's one thing I can't stand it's what the papers call a '£5m mansion' in some street full of spivs off Hampstead Lane - no doubt they have them in the more boring areas of Manchester and the Wirral too - with new well-polished expensive cars parked on its funny-coloured gravel behind its gilded repro-of-repro pastiche baroque railings at the bottom of its brand-new faux-marble steps in front of its illegally-imported weird-coloured scraping-the-bottom-of-the-barrel Tibetan mahogany front door and ghastly carriage lamps... but chacun a son gout as they say...

Things that look a bit anomalous and out of place are far more interesting than boring estate-agent-ad rubbish...

:o}

Hope you are well by the way.