1997 1.3 Where to get car serviced? - Rattle
My car could do with a service the plugs are getting onto 18 months old and the oil has not been changed for 11k. I want the gaps checked on the plugs and replaced if needed and also the oil changed. I will do the rest myself.

I usualy go to my local back street the last few tiems its taken ages to get simple jobs done, I was thinking for an oil change and plugs check would itbe ok to risk a fast fit centre?

I don't want to do this job myself because its the 1.3 Endura engine which are known for snapping their plugs.

Any ideas?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/09/2008 at 20:49

Where to get car serviced? - jase1
Any mechanic worthy of the name will have no trouble with these engines. They're so simple and so common that the chances of them fouling up the spark plug procedure is tiny.

Fast Fit will be fine -- assuming you go to one that doesn't go looking for jobs. National Tyres is my personal favourite in this regard.

Small places usually do take all day to get things sorted because they don't keep stock of common items typically and buy them in as needed. The positive side of this is that they tend to take more care over what they're doing (well some do anyway).
Where to get car serviced? - Blue {P}
Try RapidFit, they're Ford owned and so use all Ford parts, I know I tend to bang on about them but I've had nothing but positive experience with them. Cheap(ish) too.

Where to get car serviced? - Rattle

I have been putting 10/40 semi into the Fiesta for the past year with no trouble at all 74k, 15k since the last tappet adjustment and it still sounds silent at the top.

Will Ford use 5/30 and will that cause problems if 10/40 has been used?

I am worried 5/30 would be too thin as it does use a little bit of oil although no blue smoke etc.
Where to get car serviced? - carl233
These engines were designed to operate on 5w30 oil. 5w40 and 10w40 is satisfactory but 5w30 is much better for economy and performance. I have run my Mondeo Zetec-E on 5w30 for over 200k and it still drives like new. The Zetec-S and Zetec-E engines really do need Ford spec 5w30
Where to get car serviced? - jase1
It's not the Zetec though is it, it's essentially an old Kent engine.

I'd have thought that it should be fed 10/40 for good if that's what it has been used with to date.
Where to get car serviced? - J1mbo
They'll only carry one type for petrol and it will be 5/30w so yes, it may well rattle somewhat.

If its an older engine/car then something like 10/40 would be fine, maybe a fast fit place that;s doing an offer on oil and filter changes. Make sure they use OEM filters.