1998 1.8 Vibrations above 3000rpm - ollythewally
Hi all

After some advice really. I bought myself a Mondeo 1.8LX at the weekend to replace a car that died. On the test drive I noticed a vibration through the wheels when going above 3000rpm in any gear.

The dealer said that it could just be a bit of a mis-fire as the car had been taken out cold after standing for a while.

Its been 2 days and even after running the car for a while to bring it up to temperature the vibration is still there. The engine is still keen after 3000 revs but the vibration stops me pushing it too far. When driving around town today I also noticed the vibration appearing when pulling away on a hill and when accelerating in too high a gear (ie, putting my foot down in third at 20mph). It also has a bit of a clunk when disengaging the clutch and a rattling when turning on full lock (unfortunately not noticed when testing).

I'm going to get the wheel balance and alignment checked tonight but think there may be something more serious going on. Has anyone else had similar problems or have any ideas what could be up with it??

Thanks

Olly
1998 1.8 Vibrations above 3000rpm - TurboD
He didn't say " they all do that sir "- how odd, that's what they normally say. And people believe it!
Could be why the last person got shut- have you tried them?, worth a go ,save a lot of guessing.
I had a car like that and it was a burnt valve, do cars get that now?, or poor plugs/leads/coil packs. Try those first.
If it is mechanical- i.e. steering/wheels/tyres/drive shafts it will be speed related - not revs.
Clunk sounds like CV joint to me though - check that first.
Hope it's a cheap one to fix.