First ever prang... any advice welcomed - Lucky 7
Hi all

Not feeling my user name is very apt at the moment. Having just fixed my new car, at the age of 26 I've now suffered my first ever knock - managed to reverse it into a taxi. Very low speed and have only scuffed his bumper - however it's an 07 reg car. We swapped details and carried on our ways, and his company have just been in touch.

I have suggested to them that I would prefer to settle directly if possible - however, given the fact that he's a taxi driver, it's probably a leased car and it'll probably be through their repairer, even if he agrees I'm expecting a ridiculous figure back - so it'll mean a claim.

Annoyingly I have just changed insurer - have two years NCB with Direct Line but was a named driver on my mum's policy with them for three years previously ( had another 2 years NCB before that but it expired), however got a better renewal quote from Halifax

Guess I'll have to take the hit on my premium, and then probably change my car (Mondeo Si) for a much smaller one to try and claw some of it back.
Obviously it's a pretty run of the mill accident - just thought I would ask for any advice on not getting hammered too badly by my insurers! I do have a direct number for the cabbie, but given the above I doubt it'll be "Yeah, £50 should do it mate"

P.S. I have admitted liability, as it was my fault! Someone's probably going to tell me that if I'd done a runner they might not have bothered pursue it, but guess there's such as thing as karma and all... :-)

Cheers all
First ever prang... any advice welcomed - Westpig
Why not try ringing the cabby, there are some decent people out there. You've nothing to lose.

Ask him which outfit he wishes to have it repaired at, then call them or even better, go in yourself to sort out a deal, they usually bump up insurance jobs dreadfully.
First ever prang... any advice welcomed - jimbano
Hi,

I totally agree that you should contact the cabbie direct and try to come to agreement with him, although it may be the case that the taxi does not actually belong to him, therefore you could then ask the cabbie for the owners details and then contact the owner and ask that you could settle for cash (if the price is right).

I had a bump a few weeks back and as i work in a bodyshop, i offered to have the other car fixed. The other driver was more than happy for me to do this so his car was repaired and returned to him within 2 days after the bump. Insurance would have taken much longer and more complicated.

As stated by the previous post, you have nothing to lose by trying to settle this yourself, and it may be cheaper for you in the long run due to increased premiums next year.

Cheers

James
Hi guys

Thanks for your help so far. I have had a quick look online and the quotes for bumper repair mentioned seem very reasonable - £80-150 is almost guaranteed to be less than what'll get hiked onto my premium. These are mainly slightly cheesy sounding firms like 'Smart Repair', however, which he might well not like the sound of

There are loads of near-identical black Sharans & Galaxys round the area, all on 07/08 plates and all private hire, so I'm pretty sure it's leased/from the company in some way which may mean he's bound to go through the procedure in a certain way. That said, he gave me his personal name and address and the lady on the phone did mention him by name...

Guess it's worth a call at least - I'm sure getting the car sorted as quickly as possible will be in his interests too
First ever prang... any advice welcomed - smokie
Being a cabbie might mean he will be after some compensation for loss of livelihood while it's being done. But he might be reasonable - worth asking...
First ever prang... any advice welcomed - grumpyscot
But don't forget to advise your insurers whatever the outcome. They have ways of finding out - especially as the taxi owner may have already reported the accident. Yo don't say if it was a black cab or nnot - if it was, they come under very very strict regs in that any accident damage effecively can put them off the road. (I certainly know that in Edinburgh, a minor shunt that knocks out just a trafficator lens means the taxi has to come off the road due to the licensing regs). In that case, the drivers usually claim loss of earnings........

You and the cab driver certainly need to talk!!
First ever prang... any advice welcomed - L'escargot
Guess I'll have to take the hit on my premium

Don't guess. Ask your insurer what difference a claim would make to your NCD and the next renewal premium.
First ever prang... any advice welcomed - mrsarcasm
Just ring him, simple maths really, if what he's prepared to settle for is less than it'll cost you on your insurance inc your excess for the next 2 few years and you can afford it its worth doing. Job Done!
First ever prang... any advice welcomed - Altea Ego
Never Ever negotiate a private deal with a cabbie after a prang. There are many pitfalls - loss of earnings, car off the road, VAT? What happens if his cab fails the MOT? what's to stop him coming back after you claiming its due to accident?

Insurance company. That's why you pay premiums

First ever prang... any advice welcomed - L'escargot
Insurance company. That's why you pay premiums

I agree. Why have a dog and bark yourself?
Thanks for the advice chaps

His insurers have left a message saying he's already claimed so it has to go through - of course they're going to say that though! Will attempt giving him a call later but, as above, I think it could turn out to be a minefield - especially remembering what the dealer quoted my dad to repair a small scratch in his Picasso. My policy has zero excess, so it's just the NCD I'll lose

BTW it's a private hire car, not an official london cab
First ever prang... any advice welcomed - Victorbox
Agree with others - use your insurance company but they'll love the fact you admitted liability at the scene.