Just passed test! Now need to swap insurance. Help - evilboris
I'm 23 years old and Recently passed my test and pass plus, I insured myself on a Toyota Yaris that belonged to my girlfriend but now find I need instead to be insured on my mums car , which is a mini cooper s 2004, my policy with ecarinsurance doesn't cover me to drive my mum's car til I'm over 25.I haven't driven yet since I passed.

What is the best way to do this? I need to start getting some driving practice in asap.
Should my mum put me as a named driver on her policy?
Or should i cancel my original insurance and start again?
I hadn't intended to drive a vehicle like a mini cooper s and imagine the premiums are going to be higher.

Is there any way of minimising this?

Edited by Pugugly on 13/08/2008 at 08:15

Just passed test! Now need to swap insurance. Help - rtj70
For the cost of insurance on a Cooper S you could probably buy a cheap car in a low insurance group and insure it. Forget driving the Cooper S.

If you got on your mum's insurance you're not going to accumulate no claims bonus, it will cost her a lot to have you as a named driver and what if you have an accident.

Your insurance if it did cover you to drive the Mini would be 3rd party only at best. Damage the car and your insurance would not pay out only for damage you cause to others.
Just passed test! Now need to swap insurance. Help - FotheringtonThomas
Is there any way of minimising (insurance for "MINI Cooper S")?

You've done it. You could ask your broker for ideas, or just bite the bullet and pay out a bit of money (if anyone'll have you).
Just passed test! Now need to swap insurance. Help - Armitage Shanks {p}
Doing the Pass Plus course, no test at the end of it - just continuous assessment, might help although it is more cost. Link here

www.passplus.org.uk/about_pp.asp
Thanks,but as I said in my post,I have already done pass plus.
Just passed test! Now need to swap insurance. Help - Armitage Shanks {p}
My apologies! That's what comes from posting at 4 am! Good luck in your search for affordable insurance.
Just passed test! Now need to swap insurance. Help - jc2
Get yourself a car of your own in Group 1 or 2;the cost of the car including insurance will probably be less than you would pay as a named driver on the "S".
Just passed test! Now need to swap insurance. Help - seasiders rock
get yourself a cheap panda, 1.1 should do you, keep your head down and build up the ncb.
i had the same problems in 05, 52 years old and 32 years with a full licence but zero ncb. company cars and private hire, for a 1.2 panda some quotes were coming in at over a £1000. now 3 years ncb panda 100hp and down to £236....
Just passed test! Now need to swap insurance. Help - oldnotbold
Buy the cheapest Gp 1 car there is - the Fiat Uno 999 - with the FIRE engine that loves to be driven. You should be able to find a nice one for £350.
Just passed test! Now need to swap insurance. Help - mike hannon
Yes - buy a cheapie and wait.
It may not seem like it at the moment but time is on your side!
Just passed test! Now need to swap insurance. Help - Optimist
Get your Mum to shift to Direct Line with you as a named driver. Named drivers build up their own discount with DL to use against a future DL policy in their own name.

I've just checked and found that your Mum's car is a Group 15 car - the additional premium is going to be absolutely huge. Forget it, completely. I expect your Mum will be thrilled to hear the news!
Just passed test! Now need to swap insurance. Help - Optimist
The premium won't be small. Get a quote. Don't know why you have to be insured on your Mum's car, boris, but I wouldn't buy a cheapie unless you actually know something about cars and can fix it when it breaks.

All due respect, etc., but if you've only just passed your test at 23, I suspect you're not a man with much knowledge about the innards of motors.

Happy to be contradicted.

Edited by Optimist on 13/08/2008 at 12:29

I found myself in the position of living at home again recently,unexpectedly,and thats the only other car i could use.
I think I will take your advice and buy a car then.I have a bit put aside so i can afford some thing a bit more expensive.Any ideas where i can look to start deciding what type of car and where i should buy it from.

Does anyone publish a report of best/most reliable second hand cars ?

Which are the best car magazines to have a look at?
Just passed test! Now need to swap insurance. Help - Avant
For your purposes, What Car is the best bet, plus their book of road test summaries covering every mainstream car on the market.
Just passed test! Now need to swap insurance. Help - L'escargot
Just make sure you drive sensibly enough to enable you to each age 25! The art of surviving is having the ability to see hazardous situations developing long before you actually get up to them ~ and you only get that ability from experience.
"Does anyone publish a report of best/most reliable second hand cars ?"

If you are a total car novice, I'd suggest Ford or Vauxhall. The Fiesta and the Corsa are both good cars. Read HJ's Car-by-Car (button above).
Thanks-will take a look at that.