Golf Mark 6 - spot the difference - akr
I think it must have taken the designers of the new Golf about 3 minutes to come up with the new Mark 6. Other than a slight grille change is there actually any difference to the current one?
Click on the link below and then on the word "weiter" in red under the picture of the car under the title "Das ist der neue Golf" and you can see a series of photos.
It will doubtless sell by the bucket load!!!
www.autobild.de/
Golf Mark 6 - spot the difference - oldgit
I'll be placing my order as soon as the VW dealers can take one from me and guarantee a delivery by March 1st next year.
Golf Mark 6 - spot the difference - carl_a
Rear lights from the 4*4 and change in grill.
1.4 and 1.6 have dire performance yet again.

I can see more Asian imports heading Europes way very soon...
Golf Mark 6 - spot the difference - Pugugly
Rear lights - and not a moment to soon may I add.
Golf Mark 6 - spot the difference - DP
Not a bad looking car. Mind you, neither was the mkV, or the mkIV come to that.

The only real problem I've ever thought the Golf had, was / is each model being about 2 grand overpriced.

The number on the road suggests many disagree with me.

Cheers
DP
Golf Mark 6 - spot the difference - rtj70
The big difference is how much to build - they needed it cheaper to make. So for example rear suspension is much simplified.
Golf Mark 6 - spot the difference - hjcoukrocks
It's only 2 grand overpriced if you go to a dealer. Get a broker and you'll be looking at shaving that 2 grand off the asking price easily. Even better, ask your local dealer to let you know when a pack car comes in - you'll get no say on colour/accessories (except ones you can have done after delivery) but you'll be saving 20-25% off list.
Golf Mark 6 - spot the difference - colinh
"Other than a slight grille change is there actually any difference to the current one?"

"additional soft-touch surfaces, classy chrome-rimmed instruments and reworked switchgear. A strange change is the dropping of the instrument pack's distinctive blue backlighting for a clearer white colour...extra safety kit includes a new knee airbag mounted below the dash, anti-whiplash headrests and more advanced ESP software.
Refinement is improved with new door and window seals, new windscreen support and revised engine mountings...new common-rail diesels...Adaptive damping provides the driver with the choice of three different levels of stiffness while altering the steering and throttle response. Swivelling xenon headlamps, intelligent cruise control and an automatic parking system will also be available"

Golf Mark 6 - spot the difference - Avant
I wouldn't disagree, DP, but it depends on which model you choose. To get the 2.0 TDI engine in the hatch, you have to have the GT Sport (£19,000 which is indeed £2k overpriced); the estate can be had as an SE (as mine is) costing £18,000. The reason for this is known only to some marketing prat within VW. A 2.0 TDI hatch SE costing £17,000 would sell very well and fit lots of people's needs - but VW just don't get it.

Edit - just seen Colin's post above. There are people who swing towards a Golf just because of the blue backlighting. The same marketing prat strikes again.

Edited by Avant on 06/08/2008 at 22:55

Golf Mark 6 - spot the difference - mss1tw
Edit - just seen Colin's post above. There are people who swing towards a Golf
just because of the blue backlighting. The same marketing prat strikes again.

I don't understand why they don't just use multicolour LED's. You can't tell me that would be anymore expensive than tiny little incandescents with a much shorter life, fiddly replacement, and the need for a colour filter, than a tiny little 'everlasting' LED produced by the thousands daily.

Then the driver can choose as they wish.

Edited by mss1tw on 06/08/2008 at 23:25

Golf Mark 6 - spot the difference - Stuartli
You can't tell me that would be anymore expensive than tiny little incandescents with a much shorter life, fiddly replacement, and the need for a colour filter>>

My Bora's classy red and blue backlighting is close to nine years old now - all the bulbs are still working......
Golf Mark 6 - spot the difference - colinh
The current red-on-black graphics are hopeless if you are wearing certain types of sunglasses; likewise the lighting of the heating/aircon controls - the new white-on-black should be an improvement, but won't admittedly have the bling factor (best left for the Audi drivers!).

I think this is more of a Mark 5.5 than a 6
Golf Mark 6 - spot the difference - akr
Colinh. If you're dissing the "pretty" colours on the dash as being hopeless why did you post a cut and pasted chunk of VW marketing blurb as if you were a Golf salesman?
If you were able to read the German Autobild summary of the new Golf you'd be able to see how much more pragmatic the Germans seem to be about this car. To them it's just a hatch, a tool. There's no hint of snobbery about it. In this country we seem to think it's some sort of prestige car. Goodness knows why. I once even had a VW salesman tell me VW was a prestige brand. At which point I think I pointed out a £6k cheapo Fox behind him!!!! - not a prestige car in my book.
Note also how the German article states that the price of the Mark 6 will start at 16500 Euros. Doesn't that make it £13500 or so at current exchange rates? That seems mighty expensive to me.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/08/2008 at 11:13

Golf Mark 6 - spot the difference - Collos25
Cars are expensive in Germany but there are plenty of discounts about but unlike the UK these are kept on a person to person basis,you would expect around 12% on the new golf but most new cars are leased and that market is very competetive.
Golf Mark 6 - spot the difference - mike hannon
'Classy chrome-rimmed instruments'.
Dear, oh dear.
Not to mention the fact that , as I have noticed, external VW 'chrome' falls off the plastic base in about 18 months if you try to keep it shiny.
The Mark 2 Golf was quite a good motor, if a bit podgy, but it's all been downhill from there hasn't it?
Dunno why I ever opened this thread really...
Turns over and goes back to sl....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Golf Mark 6 - spot the difference - Tornadorot
Colinh. If you're dissing the "pretty" colours on the dash as being hopeless why did
you post a cut and pasted chunk of VW marketing blurb as if you were
a Golf salesman?

Actually, that was from the Autocar article about the new Golf. Admittedly, probably only regurgitated VW press release.

Red is the best instrument illumination colour to preserve night vision. But why wear sunglasses when its dark enough to need the dashboard lighting?