Long term running report on an 04 diesel auto. - tr7v8
I bought a 54 plated S-Type Diesel Auto SE in Jan 07 this was an early 50th Birthday present to me! The car was bought with 44,655 miles on it for around £20K. I?ve just sold it after 18 odd months & thought the overall experience maybe of interest to others.
The car came from a main dealer, who were very pleasant to deal with. The car had only just arrived when we first saw it & I was advised it would be thoroughly prepped before we collected. On collection we found a variety of chips in various areas predominately the doors & a small dent in the bootlid! The valeting job wasn?t the best I?d ever seen either. The various paint issues were dealt with a little while later & while it was in I had a Jaguar Audio Connect module installed. This gives iPod, USB key & 2 x phono connections into the head unit. This unit has had a 2gB USB key plugged in for all the time I?ve had the car & makes long journey?s much more relaxing with around 600 tracks on it. I average around 22-23K a year so it soon started to rack up mileage.

Everyone who rode in it from customers, to friends & colleagues all loved it. With everyone amazed it was a diesel.

Servicing, this is due every 15K so the first service came up at the 60K mark & this included a brake fluid change. Total was £500. At this service I reported a squawk noise when in full throttle kickdown & this was dealt with by an additive in the gearbox. The final service in my hands was at 76K and was a wallet thumping £1080! As it wasn?t just a service but rear brakes (discs & pads), a suspension bush, wipers, a hose on the intercooler & a couple of other minor things. Whilst being serviced they loaned me a 2.2D X-Type Auto as I?d wondered if that was a reasonable down size option, although all my friends loved it we didn?t & it just didn?t feel like the S. The only other item to fail was the heater valve which meant the heating was at full hot all the time, this was fixed in 90minutes whilst I waited under warranty. Tyres were needed all round at just under 60K and these were Pirelli Powergys at £130 each fitted.

The only other trauma was in France I managed to fill it with unleaded (badly marked pump is my excuse!) & I then drove it 35-40miles. It sounded unhappy so I investigated & doing the sniff test found what I?d done. Phoned Jaguar Assist & they had someone out in 90 minutes, he took me to Calais where Jaguar Assist had got me a booking (I was on the tunnel originally) & they had me collected in Dover & taken home all at no cost. In the morning I collected our jerrycans & by ppulling a pipe off the diesel filter drained the tank completely & then refilled with diesel. A local factors had a filter in stock & it started after some cranking & has never seemed to be any the worse for it!
Fuel consumption whilst we?ve had it has always hovered around the 35MPG mark, although if you fill it when hot & do a reasonable run up say the A1M then you?ll see 43MPG or so on the trip. It?s been run 95% on Shell V Power although it makes zero difference to the consumption it does make it run a little smoother & since I also get fuel vouchers every 2-3 months it?s worthwhile.

So it?s sold back to the dealer it came from, they valued it as a buy in with 84K miles at £7K but actually gave me £10K for it against another S So to overall costs, including 4 x tyres, insurance, finance costs It has cost 29 pence per mile if you use the £10K valuation or 37 PPM if you use £7K. I loved it to bits & it has to be the first car I?ve EVER owned where I was happy to buy the same again & have just done so (details later!)

Edited by Pugugly on 01/08/2008 at 18:58

Long Term running report on Jaguar S-Type Diesel - Westpig
i'm not going to hijack your thread and go into too much detail, but I too am a most happy S Type owner, so much so, having owned a 2nd hand one for nearly 6.5 years now, i'm planning to keep it for all time, as i'd begrudge someone esle snapping it up for next to nothing

glad to hear you're so happy with it/them

I'd have diesel next time. I very much prefer to drive my 3 litre petrol, but cannot justify the cost of the fuel consumption
Long Term running report on Jaguar S-Type Diesel - boxsterboy
I know what you mean about the Shell fuel vouchers - they make using V-Power Diesel worthwhile.
Long Term running report on Jaguar S-Type Diesel - Cheeky
Very interesting, thanks. I too am a happy Jag owner -- an X type Estate on a 54 plate. I will be hanging on for a year or two longer and then doing my best to get a good second hand XF.
Long Term running report on Jaguar S-Type Diesel - ForumNeedsModerating
Not sure how you get 39ppm - without trade-in.

My rough figures give a cost of £19995
So,
Depreciation: £13K
Fuel: £4950 (assumes fuel@ £4.95 gallon & 40 mpg)
Service & tyres: £2000

This excludes insurance & finance costs:

40K miles / £19995 = 49.9 PPM

Long Term running report on Jaguar S-Type Diesel - tr7v8
Not sure how you get 39ppm - without trade-in.

Well spotted that man!

Yup its 61.3PPM at £7K trade in & 53.4PPM at £10K trade in....

Now I know why I'm a Techy rather than a salesman!
Long Term running report on Jaguar S-Type Diesel - zm
I can't beleave you were that lucky after the wrong fuelling episode; I was under the impression that if you put petrol in a modern diesel, you were well and truly stuffed! Perhaps I'm hopefully wrong?
Long Term running report on Jaguar S-Type Diesel - prm72
Whats shell fuel vouchers?
Long Term running report on Jaguar S-Type Diesel - boxsterboy
You get them when you use a Shell loyalty card (Shell Drivers Club) at Shell stations and some online purchases. The usual points-type system. Shell (through Citi Financial) also do a credit card which gives you cash-back on all purchases. Worth having so long as you pay back in full at the end of the month.

I have no connection with Shell but it works well for me. I'm sure there are other similar deals out there.
Long Term running report on Jaguar S-Type Diesel - tr7v8
Yup I just use the Loyalty card, I don't pay for fuel & use loads, doing 23K PA so V Power gives double points most the time. The fuel vouchers normally top up what I need to put in the Porsche, which only does 3K max!