1997 1.9 Black oil in the Coolant reservoir. - xan7
I have a car Xantia Turbo 1997.When I open the cap of coolant reservoir which is at the extreme left of the engine near the head light ,I find some black oil in it.It is very small in quantity.

I got it checked from the technician he said that there is no problem of gas-ket, as there was no air bubble while giving it race.

My car temp reaches normally 75~85 in the city.When I am on auto routes and speed of 120~130 km/hr the temp drops to 70.The max temp in the car as per the need is 110 degree centigrade.

Can any body tell me what can be the problem.?When I see the manual of Turbo Xantia it shows hydraulics oil reservoir tank at the extreme left near the head light..is it true.May be I am confusing it with the coolant reservoir.

As I have to go for long journey..should I go or not..?

please reply in detail..thanks
1997 1.9 Black oil in the Coolant reservoir. - RichardW
The head gasket can leak oil into the water without showing signs of leakage from the cylinders. The other place that can leak oilinto the water is the oil cooler (behind the oil filter). This normally fails spectacularly, and dumps loads of oil into the water. Trouble with yours is that it doesn't yet sound bad enough to make a confrmed diagnosis - you might just have to wait and see.
1997 1.9 Black oil in the Coolant reservoir. - xan7
any body else please reply to the problem
1997 1.9 Black oil in the Coolant reservoir. - Screwloose
xan

Richard has covered it perfectly.

There's nothing to add to his post; though I could tell you the head's cracked if it would help?
1997 1.9 Black oil in Coolant reservoir.pl reply - xan7
I have a car Xantia Turbo 1997.When I open the cap of coolant reservoir which is at the extreme left of the engine near the head light ,I find some black oil in it.It is very small in quantity.

I got it checked from the technician he said that there is no problem of gas-ket, as there was no air bubble while giving it race.

My car temp reaches normally 75~85 in the city.When I am on auto routes and speed of 120~130 km/hr the temp drops to 70.The max temp in the car as per the need is 110 degree centigrade.

Can any body tell me what can be the problem.?When I see the manual of Turbo Xantia it shows hydraulics oil reservoir tank at the extreme left near the head light..is it true.May be I am confusing it with the coolant reservoir.

As I have to go for long journey..should I go or not..?

please reply in detail..thanks>>
1997 1.9 Black oil in Coolant reservoir.pl reply - Simon
Maybe you should ask the technician who looked at it what is wrong with it???
1997 1.9 Black oil in Coolant reservoir.pl reply - stuartl
Is this guy for real?
1997 1.9 Small Quantity of Oil in Coolant Reservoi - mfarrow
The only oil anywhere on a car which can be black is engine oil - hence it's definately not hydraulic fluid if it's black. Unless you've an oil cooler (do you?) then it's the head gasket.

Oil doesn't have to come through the cylinders, it can leak from oil gallery into coolant jacket, where there shouldn't be any air. Find yourself a new technician.
1997 1.9 Small Quantity of Oil in Coolant Reservoi - oilrag
Has no one noticed yet? Three of the OP`s four posts are identical in his two duplicated threads!

{All the separate replies now merged into his original question and duplicates deleted. If the same question keeps getting posted anymore, that won't be the only thing that will get deleted!}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/07/2008 at 22:38

1997 1.9 Small Quantity of Oil in Coolant Reservoi - mfarrow
Has no one noticed yet?

I had, but the more people tell him it's a head gasket fault the more he will start to believe.
1997 1.9 Small Quantity of Oil in Coolant Reservoi - steve
Go for the long journey just make sure you have breakdown cover for when the head gasket gives up completely. Either that or abandon the car there - it is not worth repairing.