Declaring warranty work on my car when selling - howie79blue
Hi all,

Quick question for all of you.

I am selling my car shortly and wanted to know where I stand with respect to the following. As background, I bought a new Ford Fiesta back in 2006. The car went in for some warranty work to repair a leaking fuel injector pipe. The car is and has been working fine since it was done.

1. When selling the car, am I required to declare this work?
2. What comebacks do buyers have on me if I do not declare the work?
3. Do dealerships keep a record of the work undertaken? I.e. could the seller call up their local Ford dealership to find out the cars history?
4. Should this work necessarily be reflected in the price I am asking for the car? I.e. should I be expecting less for the car seeing as it has had this history?

The car has a years warranty remaining and to my mind, the seller should have the extra confidence in buying should anything else go wrong.

Cheers.

Declaring warranty work on my car when selling - L'escargot
1. No, it's not necessary.
2. Not applicable ~ see 1.
3. More than likely, but this won't cause a problem.
4. No.
Declaring warranty work on my car when selling - NARU
I wouldn't volunteer the information, but would be completely open about it if asked.

All cars need repairs from time to time. The fact that its been fine since means that you're not hiding anything.

I doubt you'll be asked. You might be asked if its been in an accident, or had any bodywork repairs. You might be asked if it has a full service history, but unlikely to be asked if its had any engine-releated repairs (I guess you could be asked if its ever broken down).
Declaring warranty work on my car when selling - drivewell
Many garages now require a statement re. accident damage before they take a car in as a trade-in.

The important question people need to be asking now (especially with CR diesels) is:

"Has the vehicle ever been mis-fuelled?"
Declaring warranty work on my car when selling - ifithelps
Howie, it's refreshing to hear from someone so honest and straightforward - I'd buy a used car from you. :)

Sounds like the fuel line was a minor job - not even worth a mention.

Might be different if the car had caught fire and been reloomed, resprayed, glass changed etc etc...

I had some fuel line warranty work done on the Focus at service.

It doesn't appear on the bill as it's f-o-c, so I couldn't tell anyone anything about it, even if I wanted to.

Edited by ifithelps on 12/07/2008 at 10:56

Declaring warranty work on my car when selling - howie79blue
Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

Appreciate the balanced views.

Someone is coming to look at car today so will heed all your advice.

Cheers.
Declaring warranty work on my car when selling - DP
Most cars need at least one warranty repair, and the fault on your car was hardly earth shattering. It certainly wouldn't put me off.

Just make sure any paperwork relating to this repair is in the service history with all the other invoices and bits, and just be honest if asked. I bought our Scenic knowing it had had two warranty repairs (sunroof and parking brake) and frankly it was comforting to know the seller wasn't trying to hide anything.

If a buyer is that concerned, they can always check history with a Ford dealer anyway. Just be honest, basically. If this repair puts someone off buying, they were never serious anyway.

Good luck with your potential buyer!

Cheers
DP