KIA Carens 2004 - RW
I have owned a KIA Carens 04 for just over a year - Petrol consumption is about 34 mpg. So far I have had a problem with the window wipers - they stopped workinf on the M4 in the rain! They had fused the cause of which was wires that were shorting out inside the wiper motor - against bare metal - fixed by my local garage.

I have today collected my Carens from the garage again because the clutch had gone - with only 48000 on the clock I am not impressed. I do agree the gear box is very rubbery.

This large bill came just 2 weeks after my husband's KIA Megentis had to pay nearly £1300 for a new ABS system plus sensor. He has had the Megentis since new in August 2003 and it has 40000 on the clock. He has written to KIA to say how disappoionted he is etc - 3 weeks ago - they have not replied yet.

I don't think KIA will be on our shopping list in the future especially as they have now moved there KIA Agency 60 miles away from where we live.

Hope the above helps someone else.
KIA Carens 2004 - Chrome
RW

Not quite sure what you are trying to say here? These problems are not unique to Kia as a brand, btw I run a Kia Rio which I fully expect may require wear & tear parts replacement someway down the line..........

1) Kia carens - a four year old car with 48k. owned for one year by you with an unknown history, wiper motor - these things don't last forever and yes usually stop working when needed most! The clutch is a consumable and its life depends on how the car has been drived from day one.

2) Kia Magentis - Is your husband mad? Spending £1300 on a five year old car that is worth maybe £2k, and it is well out of warranty too. Why would Kia be interested in this?

KIA Carens 2004 - Avant
I'm more sympathetic than Chrome - it's disappointing to have two big bills within a few weeks of each other.

I'm not convinced that Kias have the quality of longevity that a lot of Japanese cars have: the technology is largely based on Japanese models but we don't know how much cost-cutting has gone on in the choice of components.

When you look for your next car try a Toyota Verso or a Mazda 5, and perhaps an Avensis or Honda Accord or Mazda 6 would suit your husband.