Mazda or Fiat? - davecooper
Ok, narrowed it down to two, the Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 16v Sporting Dynamic or the Mazda 2 1.3 TS2 (86bhp). I have driven both and think the Mazda is the better drivers car. However, the Fiat is better equipped and has slightly better performance (although this is not really noticeable). The Mazda has the better economy and warranty but the Fiat seems slighlty roomier. The Mazda seems to have a better range of colours, the Punto is cheaper blah blah blah.......... The bottom line is that they both have their good points. If anyone has anything to add to help me choose it would be appreciated.
Don't suggest any others, as styling comes top when I choose a car and I think these are the best looking five door superminis currently available, (with the Yaris a close third).
Mazda or Fiat? - In Theory
The Fiat has understated good looks that I really like, but the Mazda is quite stunning. So, I can't mention reliability? Well, Mazda wins that, for what it's worth. They are identical, however, in having very annoying TV adverts.
Mazda or Fiat? - Happy Blue!
Very close call, but a few things would guide me to the Mazda: -

Reliability
Its a far newer model, so will age better for the next few years
It has a great dinky gear stick on top of the dash making more room at front
Reliability
Better economy and emmissions will maintain value
Did I say reliability?
Mazda or Fiat? - Citroënian {P}
Did anyone mention reliability?

Would have thought the Mazda residuals were better too, but I've not checked that out.

Our MX5 just feels like it'll start every time and although not carved from granite, it has a feeling of good engineering about it. If you can get the style you want in the 2, go for that I know I would now and I've driven Euroboxes for years.
Mazda or Fiat? - hugopogo
There is a bit of a waiting list for the Mazda at the mo... I was quoted a delivery of mid-august for a 5 door TS2 in that metallic blue.... Hopefully worth the wait.
Mazda or Fiat? - Burnout2
Mazda, without question.

I had a 2 (with the lower powered 1.3) as a courtesy car for most of last week, and was extremely impressed, despite the 182 bhp deficit from my usual wheels. The only noticeable fault - probably a consequence of its unusually low kerbweight - was a tendency to get blown about a bit at high motorway speeds.

kaytronika, how long will you have waited if you get delivery mid August. I am possibly going to order one this weekend, hoping I would have it by the second week in September at the latest.
Mazda or Fiat? - krs one
I like the styling of the Fiat, the Mazda just looks modern and designs like this have a habit of dating quickly.
How long until the new Fiesta is out?
Good point about the new Fiesta, it looks pretty good in the few pics I have seen. Always a problem choosing a car when there are new ones just around the corner. I was going to hold off buying until the new Alfa MiTo appeared early next year but you have to settle on something at sometime otherwise you would never buy anything. I am making a conscious decision to forget any cars due in the near future. I also think the comment about the Mazda dating is well made, yes it will probably date quicker than cars with more classic styling. Still, only keeping it for three or four years so hopefully it will weather that period reasonably.
Mazda or Fiat? - hugopogo
Since sunday just gone. Heh. So if that is accurate you'd probably be fairly safe.
Mazda or Fiat? - y2k+4
The Mazda. I prefer the FIAT as a car, but as something to own, I'd have to pick the Mazda. Punto's always look good when they're launched. Punto's always have awful residual values. Punto's often break.

Mazda's aren't everywhere. Mazda's have decent residuals. Mazda's never break.

Also, you'll be spending a lot of time at dealerships have them routinely serviced and such, and again, Mazda's tend to beat FIAT in this respect.

One slight possible consideration that might be worth considering is whether you'll regularly have a full complement of passengers. The FIAT will likely cope better with it, and if you were to consider it, the diesels are superior. There may be no point in mentioning it, but were you not to need the space, perhaps consider the extremely stylish new 500.
Mazda or Fiat? - piggy
I believe Fiat are shortly to announce a Bravo-like warranty on the Grande Punto. This means a five year,unlimited milage cover. This should restore the Fiat to the lead.
It`s also got a younger,funkier image IMHO.
Mazda or Fiat? - Avant
Go for the Mazda if you can find a good dealer near you, and if the delivery delay isn't too long for you. If it is, go for a 1.3 Yaris which was your 3rd choice. Elder daughter was quoted 4 weeks for her Yaris and got it in 3, in her choice of colour, a nice bright pillarbox red.
Mazda or Fiat? - mlj
My better half bought a new Punto in 2000. She loved it. It slowly fell apart. The windscreen wiper motor disintegrating was the final straw. This was within three years and 20k miles. Replaced witha Mazda 2. It has been perfect. Nothing whatsoever has gone wrong. She still prefers the Punto's style and driveability but in the cold light of day it is no contest. A 10 year warranty would not sway me; you still have the inconvenience of being let down and getting it back to the dealer, and then hoping they can fix it.

Edited by mlj on 01/07/2008 at 22:15

Mazda or Fiat? - stunorthants26
Mazda everytime. I had a close look at one and if I was in the market for such a car I wouldnt even be tempted by the Fiat, despite its great looks.
Thanks everyone, the replies have been vey helpful. What i didn't mention was that my nearest Mazda dealer is about ten miles away while the nearest Fiat dealer is over twenty five miles away which does have a bearing. Anyway, I am going to the Mazda dealers to find out some more details this weekend. Seems I am possibly close to a decision.
Mazda or Fiat? - pointlesspoints
having just brought a Mazda for SWMBO i am very suprised and happy with it. It already feels like one of the family even after 6 weeks.