Car for wife - Opinions please - harryhammer
Looking to get SWMBO and cheaper car and these are the options so far.

X reg Clio 1.6 Initiale 5 dr
47k miles
FSH
12 monts warranty
£3495 main dealer

Y reg Fiesta 1.25 Freestyle 5 dr
58k miles
FSH
3 months warranty
£2495 local dealer

X reg 306 1.9L D 5 dr
65k miles
FSH
3 months warranty
£2995 local dealer

All in very good condition. Needed to ferry SWMBO and 2 daughters. Mostly local but some longer journeys and may be used for my daily commute of 130 miles round trip twice a month. Your opinions would be appreciated
Car for wife - Opinions please - oldnotbold
The 306 in non-turbo form is as slow as a really quite slow dog, though once it's up to speed it'll cruise along.

The Fiesta is a nice car for the local trips, but you'd have to see if it's up to the 130 mile trip. The Clio seems expensive to me.

Focus also worth a look, though they are not good on fuel on shorter trips. 1.6 will do 30 mpg round town, 38-40 if kept to 75 on a long trip.
Car for wife - Opinions please - Mapmaker
You compare a 1.25 Fiesta with a 1.9D 306?

My suggestion. Go and spend £899 on a private sale 1.8 X reg Mondeo. Just as likely to be reliable as any of the others. The dealer "warranty" won't do you any good as it will never cover the issues that will actually go wrong. Pay your AA inspection and then go out and buy an independant warranty.

Same age as the cars you're looking at - but CHEAPER!
Bigger car, so capable of doing 200k before it dies. Ignore the mileage, but make sure there is a service book.
Much cheaper.
Much nicer for your 130 mile commute
Much safer for transporting your darling daughters than a Fiesta.
Car for wife - Opinions please - Dog
I'd go for the Ford out of them 3 m8 - I've had a clio which was un-reliable and I had a 306 Turbo D which went well but the old headgasket can (and did) give grief
Car for wife - Opinions please - deepwith
Endorse fully what Mapmaker says. Mondeo is the way to go.
Car for wife - Opinions please - Whisky
Probably not cost effective to get a diesel unless your going to be doing 15,000 miles a year plus (which it sounds like you wouldn't be)

Fiesta would have cheaper parts. I wouldn't pay £3.5k for a 8 year old Clio, whatever the mileage. Think you could get either a better, or newer car for that kind of money.

Fiesta looks like the best option cost wise.
Car for wife - Opinions please - Lud
Agree, Fiesta. Bell boy said that was a good model too.

The lady may think a Mondeo is a bit unwieldy for her needs, and it is of course a lot more metal to heave about with consequent cost burden.
Car for wife - Opinions please - barney100
Let swmbo choose her own car and comment not upon it! This is the only way to avoid a potential pitfall to the husband only trying to do his best. Friend of mine's hubby choose her car for her and she still after 4 years goes on about what a rotten judge of vehicles he is.
"after 4 years goes on about what a rotten judge of vehicles he is"

Perhaps he didn't understand her needs?

I chose a Focus for SWMBO (she wanted a Golf) and she's very happy with it. Her friend (who thinks Fords are a bit beneath her) has a Golf, and has spent £large and time x plenty at the garage....
Car for wife - Opinions please - harryhammer
Thanks for the feedback.

Mondeo is going to be too large. Focus sounds a good idea but struggling to find a decent one locally or Astra for that matter.

The Peugeot is fine once you get going and isn't much slower than the other two. However, probably not going to be cost effective due to mileage.

The Fiesta seems a decent little car and the info I have on the 1.25 zetec says it's bomb proof.

The Clio is the top on the range with leather etc hence why tempting. I know Renault quite well and the 1.6 16v isn't bad considering.
"The Clio is the top on the range with leather etc hence why tempting."

Not worth paying extra for trim, leather etc. on a car of that age. £1,000 wasted, that you'll not get back.
Car for wife - Opinions please - Statistical outlier
Not worth paying extra for trim leather etc. on a car of that age.

How so? Surely if you want leather etc. then it's worth it? If not then it's not.
Surely if you want leather etc. then it's worth it? If not then
it's not.

I have to agree onb... there's something to be said for a comfortable French runabout with leather seats. The OP says he knows Renaults too and obviously doesn't fear them. An immaculate lady's Clio with leather could be the feelgood choice.
Car for wife - Opinions please - Niallster
Hammy,

If you can get past the size issue, its not important is it boys, the Mondeo is a fantastic option.

Get a 3 year old 1.8LX at auction for around £3K.

Hell of a lot of relatively new car for the money.
Car for wife - Opinions please - wotspur
I think you subject "car for wife" bearing in mind the cars you've listed as a fair exchange, depends on the miles on the clock and overall bodywork.

seriously though what about a cheapy, Smart car -might have high mileage but if she only going short journey's could pick up a reasonable within budget
"How so? Surely if you want leather etc. then it's worth it? If not then it's not. "

Assume he keeps the car three years it'll then be eleven years old. That's then in banger territory where high spec trim, leather etc. is worth no more than the base model. It'll thus depreciate far more than the base model of the equivalent age, and personally I wouldn't spend £300 odd a year for the trim level for a car that's going to get used for short journeys most of the time.

Edited by oldnotbold on 23/06/2008 at 18:26

But onb your outlook is ruthlessly utilitarian. Nothing wrong with that at all, but it may not be everyone's.

It is often said that the British spend more on their cars than Europeans, and it is said that Germans for example don't really understand why. There's certainly a world of difference between people like you (and even more like me) at one end of the scale and people with newish £20 and £30,000 cars at the other. Both extremes are represented here, along with many in between whose cars cost only ten or so times what you (let alone I) usually pay.
OP said he was trying to save money. I can only reiterate that spending 3k on a car doesn't really get you anything much better than does spending 1k on that car. A 3k car just gives you more of a financial headache when a fatal engine failure writes it off.

And whilst the Mondeo is a bit bigger, the extra petrol cost is easily offset by the lower capital cost.

What about some of those nasty, ugly, unpopular, - oh but 100% reliable Japanese cars? There must be a Focus-sized one there that would come in 7 years old sub-£1k. Depends on OP's wife's street cred requirements.
"What about some of those nasty, ugly, unpopular, - oh but 100% reliable Japanese cars?"

I think you mean the Nissan Almera - reliable, stodgy, well-cared for and plenty around from £850 upwards. Sounds good for the OP.
Car for wife - Opinions please - ForumNeedsModerating
It seems (from your list) you're looking at 7-8 year old cars, all of the local-journey-small hatchback type. You would imagine many of these will have had quite a strenuous life for the mileage & may well be 3-5 owner cars. I'm tending to side with the 'bigger car' tendency here, esp. as your wife & kids will be riding about in them & you'll be doing a few longer journeys.

Not sure if you have another car, but might not the Clio sized (or similar) be a bit tight for a family outing should the need arise? I would knock any ideas about plushness (leather etc.) on the head - you'll likely be paying for that & not any inherent quality in the car at your budget - hey, an idea's taking shape here() - what about an (up to) 5yr old Mondeo 1.8 LX?

Well, I don't know the Clio so can't really say. Obviously a rattly little shed with shiny paint and leather wouldn't be so good. But my impression is that there are immaculate, tight Clios even at two or three years old. All you would have to do was keep it like that.
Car for wife - Opinions please - theterranaut
Car for wife...I'm not sure...straight swap or PX?

:)

tt
Car for wife - Opinions please - Alby Back
All very well Lud......and far be it from me etc.........but the general concensus ( as per ) is that the lady should have a Mondeo whether she wants one or not. Your subversive defence of French hatchbacks will only lead to unnecessary confusion. Hush now. Clio Schmio.

(Good cars Mondeos BTW)

;-)

Edited by Shoespy on 23/06/2008 at 19:57

2001 NISSAN ALMERA 1.8 Sport 3dr Hatchback Price: £998 Features: 114,000 miles Manual Silver Petrol Hatchback 1769 cc Manual, 114,000 miles, Silver. ABS, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Audio remote control, Body coloured bumpers, Central locking.full MOT 12months,very good condition,quick sale,last price 1510 pounds

2001 NISSAN ALMERA 1.5 S 3dr Hatchback Price: £999
Features: 120,000 miles Manual Grey Petrol Hatchback 1497 cc Manual, 120,000 miles, Grey. 3x3 point rear seat belts, Air conditioning, Audio remote control, Body coloured bumpers, Central locking, Drivers airbag. MOT, Taxed, 1 ownerfull service history Price:1600. £999.

Younger than OP's suggestions, and he can buy a fleet of them. Bit leggier than his suggestions, maybe, but if he's only doing 6k pa, then they'll soon be "average". Or for a lower mileage version:

1999 V Reg NISSAN Almera 1.4i Price: £1,020
Features: 26,000 miles Manual Red Petrol Hatchback 1392 cc
5 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 26,000 miles, Red, MOT-11-2008. Air conditioning, CD, Electric windows, Power assisted steering. Insurance Group:4, cheap tax, low insurance etc, very well cared for vehicle, genuine 26,000 miles, good Mot November 2008, immaculate car, fully checked for your total peace of mind, AA/Rac inspection welcome, (up to 450 pounds allowance for your clean Mot'd px against this car), (can tax for you, cost of tax + 25), more great value low price cars in stock, call in and have a look, sorry no offers as like for like it's already the cheapest you'll find at only £1,020

Car for wife - Opinions please - Ed V
Tough to advise what you can get, without knowing what you're trading in.