X-Ray specs, or what? how do you perceive cars? - oilrag
Do you tend, in the minds eye, to see more than the surface when you look at cars?

In other words, do you `see` ( have awareness ) of all the hidden parts?

As an example, do you look at a Tree and `see` the sap flowing, the cambium layer, photosynthesis, chlorophyll and so on and not just wood and leaves?

If the car were to be considered more than `the sum of the parts` knowing and `seeing` the parts with the minds eye adds to the experience.... Or does it?

Do you ever long for the simplicity of only perceiving the metallic paint and seat fabric, Tabula Rasa having certain virtues over technical knowledge?

Or do you enjoy thinking about the alternators electromagnetic drag and so on, as you drive along;)

Regards

Edited by oilrag on 19/06/2008 at 11:00

X-Ray specs, or what? how do you perceive cars? - Nsar
It's just a lump of metal. Seriously, that's all it is - a tool.
X-Ray specs, or what? how do you perceive cars? - Lud
It's just a lump of metal - a tool.

To most people, yes. Sledgehammers and machetes are usually more delicately wielded than the average St John's Wood Lexus.

However, I am with oilrag and often see a sort of cutaway or transparent 3-d image of the passing jalopy, complete with slipping auxiliary belts and graunching LSD.
X-Ray specs, or what? how do you perceive cars? - Optimist
I know little about cambium layers or electromechanical drag.

But I am constantly amazed that trees and cars and complex stuff like that manage to work so well as a sum of their parts. Must remember though that trees don't tend to stop from time to time and stand there in a sort of sullen non-communicative fashion.

That's enough philosophy for one day.

Edited by Optimist on 19/06/2008 at 11:23

X-Ray specs, or what? how do you perceive cars? - Waino
You haven't been sniffing that de-greasing fluid again have you, Oilrag? ;-)
X-Ray specs, or what? how do you perceive cars? - Ed V
Just what I was thinking!

I'll have some of whatever he's drinking, but not until after midnight.
X-Ray specs, or what? how do you perceive cars? - BobbyG
Oilrag, no but I sometimes wish I did.

My one regret is that I know nothing about mechanicals of cars, I can lift the bonnet, fill the washer bottle and that is that. I often wish I knew how it all worked, what did what etc.

I have no spare time to take evening classes to find out so I will just need to carry on blissfully ignorant!

But on a slightly different note, through information gained on here and othe motoring publications, I look at a car more knowledgeable. So rather than saying thats a Merc, I might say thats a Merc with a known rust problem, thats a Citroen with the strange suspension, etc etc.
X-Ray specs, or what? how do you perceive cars? - cjehuk
Put me in the category of thinking about how it's all working under the surface...