Do you really need your own car insurance - ricohman
I been on classic insurance for a few years now, and i didnt realize you dont get any no claims bonus, now i want to change my car for something newer, insurance companys are saying i need to start with zero no claims.

My quote was £350, my wifes quote for the same car with full no claims was £135, so my question is do i really need my own insurance or just get put on the wifes insurance?
Do you really need your own car insurance - a900ss
You state that your wife has full NCB but can you tell us if she is using this on her own policy? If so, she can't use it on another policy and if she insured a second car, that second car would have zero ncb.

If she isn't using her NCB you are free to get her to insure the car but do state that you are the main driver if that is the case.

Edited by a900ss (S-Max) on 18/06/2008 at 11:59

What about 2 cars on 1 policy like you can with bikes.
Do you really need your own car insurance - Bill Payer
Many companies will give introductory discounts of 50% anyway.

Where you a named driver on your wife's policy - perhaps her insurance company will be helpful?

One thing ex-company car drivers do, is to get a letter from their firms insurer saying they've been claim free. Perhaps your classic insurer would do the same thing? That letter was sufficient to get me full no claims with Liverpool Victoria.
Yes i am a named driver on her policy.

I will try your advice about a letter from my insurance company.
I will try your advice about a letter from my insurance company.

Well, check it would be useful first.

Do try Liverpool Victoria - it's a UK call centre and the people there (generally) seem more switched on than others I've dealt with. They also operate What Car's insurance.

You might want to have a look at www.frizzell.co.uk which is LV's affinity arm - I qualify to use it through my wife being a civil servant.
Do you really need your own car insurance - bathtub tom
BP. What, if any, connection do you have with LV? I see you live within commuting distance of their offices.

I had no problems with Fizzell's, but I had nothing but hassle since LV took them over, and have now removed all my insurance from them. I'm still waiting for payment of an undisputed, straightforward claim going back to February.
BP. What if any connection do you have with LV? I see you live within
commuting distance of their offices.

Despite the Liverpool in their (old) name, their offices are in Bournemouth!

I have no connection with them, other than being a reasonably satisfied customer. I put a claim through them a while ago where someone ran into the back of Mrs BP's car and they handled it effortlessly. OK, it wasn't complicated for them and they were recovering the cost, but they waived the excess up front (I expected to have to pay and then reclaim) and they called me when all was done to check everything OK and assure me it wouldn't affect the premium. I like the fact that it's a fully UK call centre.

I initially went with them as they were the cheapest I could find with the kids as named drivers on Mrs BP's Jazz. When I opted out of a company car and bought a Merc they weren't the very cheapest, but they were close enough and I'm really not interested in dealing with a company I've never heard of and who have call centres Goodness knows where.

I did have a little bit of hassle with the renewals this year - the online quotes through CSMA membership with Frizzell where coming out significantly cheaper than the renewal quotes. The matched it the Jazz but couldn't or wouldn't get close enough on the Merc so I switched to the online version.

It's not obvious, but there is a difference in the older "standard" and the online policies - amongst other things, the old one has no mileage limit, includes foreign use and doesn't care if you get speeding points. The online is a bit more "focused", shall we say, but still seemed adequate for my needs. A particular thing I like, which both versions of their policies have, is that automatically cover garage courtesy cars - so you don't get scammed for £10 (or increasingly £12.50) when taking a courtesy car! They also wrote when asked and assured me the COMAND nav system in my Merc was fully covered - important as a new one would cost £3K if someone nicked it.

If I ever did have a problem with Frizzell, then of course I could always get the CSMA (which is really where Frizzell came from) to lean on them. No idea if they would though!

Edited by Webmaster on 19/06/2008 at 01:56

Do you really need your own car insurance - teabelly
Does the company you have classic insurance with offer normal insurance? They may do you a better deal if you haven't already tried them. I am surprised you have been allowed to have one car on a classic car policy without having a normal 'daily driver' kind of car as most policies have that restriction.
Yes they do normal insurance, i was on normal then moved to classic because it was cheaper.
Do you really need your own car insurance - martint123
The upside of classic insurance is that it is a lot cheaper and you don't need any NCD as it is normal that the classic is a second car and NCB (used to be) only valid for a single vehicle.

You've found the downside that, not needing any NCD means that you don't get any to transfer out.