Unusual Insurance problem? - Akin
I am in my late 30s, a National of Nigeria that came to UK last year (2007) to join his wife and children with more than 18 years of unblemished driving experience in Nigeria. On getting a job, my name was added to the motor insurance policy of my wife (Vauxhall Astra 1997 Reg). By March this year (2008) I had done more than 25000 miles of motoring without any accident using my Nigerian driving license (which is valid for the first year only in UK). Two months ago, I got my full British driving license, having passed my driving test at first attempt. A month ago I bought a Honda Accord executive diesel 2005 Reg. Then my problem started. Almost all insurance companies refused to offer me motor insurance of any kind saying I was uninsurable including Churchill that had my name on their insurance register for almost a year. I got so frustrated that me and my wife decided that she would be the main insurance policy holder while I would be seconded to it for my own car, the insurance companies still refused to insure me against the car (in any capacity). I felt so frustrated , dejected and probably felt persecuted because I am not a British national. Eventually, Norwich Union said they would insure me if I was ready to do only comprehensive at a rate of almost 300 pounds per month. Somehow through Whatcar magazine I stumbled upon London Victoria who insured me comprehensively for 125 pounds per month after removing some of the perks. This is after two weeks of phoning and using insurance comparison websites like supermarket.com and compare.com. In fact my phone bills for last month was almost 60 pounds from calling insurance companies. One of the staff of one of the insurance companies told me that I was uninsurable because, they considered my an inexperience driver with a high performance car. Has anybody else encountered this kind of problem? Is this justified after driving for almost a year on UK roads without any incidents?
Unusual Insurance problem? - Pugugly
Can you prove any insurance record in Nigeria ?

It may be better to bite the bullet on the cover you've had for 12 months now and then look for an old fashioned broker to try to help you face to face.

Also are you familiar with any Nigerian ex-pats who may have found a sympathetic broker ?

Maybe someone at the Embassy may have experience !
Unusual Insurance problem? - retgwte
common problem

ive a good mate from nigeria, although hes gone back recently, same issues, but knew about it in advance and bought a car with a low insurance group

close friend from an asian country over 10 years clean driving at home, only just passed test here, 0 no claims, must buy a group 1 or 2 car or insurance would be too expensive

one of the unfair things about the british insurance industry

less unfair than the way they treat innocent drivers crashed into by idiots who dont admit it afterwards!

on the other hand in some foreign countries the driving test is a lot easier to pass, many countries you can pass by bribe to examiner etc

get a licence from another european country and you can driver here as long as you want, and you have virtual total immunity from prosecution

just the way the british system is, it stinks, but then the politicians never listen to those that know

Unusual Insurance problem? - Bill Payer
I wouldn't have thought an Accord diesel was "high performance" - I think it's group 12.

I guess the comanies run your details through their computers and the combination of all the factors involved is telling them bad things, hence the premiums.
I am not so worried about the premium but the fact that 99% of the insurance companies were not ready to offer me any form of insurance for any premium whatsoever!
Unusual Insurance problem? - 3D Engineers
Dejected, persecuted, unusual insurance problem...no, welcome too the reality of being a newly qualified driver in the UK with zip ncb.

If you are living in London or for that matter any other major conurbation, then the above holds doubly true.

The "good" news is that after having a full licence for a year and 1 years ncb, your premium should come down dramatically.

Sorry, but that is the way it is. All credit to you for doing the whole thing legally.
I did not know of anybody I could have consulted and most ex-pats ride 'nonperformance cars' anyway and they continue to use International driving licenses. I don't think I would have time for embassy intervention. I would stick with the insurance I got albeit begrudgingly. The experience was painful and unpleasant though.
Unusual Insurance problem? - gordonbennet
If you look at your figures, LV are going to insure you for about £1500 for the year on a fairly expensive vehicle. Or would that be 10 monthly payments, i can't remember how they do it.

You've got no NCB, and can not show them a previous good insurance record within Britain.

I think TBH thats not a bad deal.
If you had 65% no claims you would be paying about the same as many people in urban areas.

Unusual Insurance problem? - L'escargot
Try The Co-operative Insurance ~ formerly CIS. They're always seem to be completely open and above-board, with no hidden loadings. Click on tinyurl.com/5awbfb
Unusual Insurance problem? - ijws15
Don't worry - it is nothing to do with nationality, just tried Tesco quote online with my name and address and your car and mileage and they won't give me a quote either.

25,000 miles a year for a driver who has not held a UK license for long would be a big factor.
Unusual Insurance problem? - oldnotbold
Insurance companies choose how they want to run the business by loading specific factors. There is some business they really don't want, in which case they decline to quote (you can see this if you use confused.com etc) or they just make the price ridiculous. My daughters are insured with Quinn for £440 on a Gp 2 Corsa. Other quotes went as high as £1,500.

Choice of car is also important. I notice that many older low performance cars are more highly rated than their newer equivalents. SWMBO's Focus 1.6 is Gp 5, yet an older Golf 1.6 is Gp 9. My level of 405 TD is Gp 9, yet others with the same engine are Gp 7.
Unusual Insurance problem? - movilogo
I don't think your nationality is a problem - but I do think your mileage (25k/year) is a big issue here.

I am an Indian national with 10+ years of driving experience in India. However, only Norwich Union honoured my non-UK experience (driving experience only not NCB). Also, my insurance becomes prohibitively expensive for group 10+ cars.

Unfortunately anyone with non-EU driving experience/NCB will have same problem.

PS: Insurance premium depends on many factors. Your post code is a major factor. After I moved my house, my premium reduced by 20% just because my new post code is considered "safer".

Edited by movilogo on 10/06/2008 at 10:02

Unusual Insurance problem? - deepwith
Akin, I know you will not want to change insurance now, as you will lose that part of your NCB that you are presently building.
Next year, look at a multicar policy for both your car and your wife's. I used Admiral to insure my son (fully comp) aged 18/19, with one expensive accident therefore no NCB, on his car agreeing to putting my car on the policy some 9 months later. I paid approx £1000 (with £250 excess) for him and then another £300 for my car for the three month period at the end of the policy. The nearest quote to that I got was for £1,500 with a £500 excess for him alone.
Unusual Insurance problem? - Hamsafar
When you apply for insurance, can you answer the driving license questions with the details of the nigerian one? ie, can you put Nigerian/International full license held for 18 years? While you need a UK License now to drive, I'm not sure there is anything wrong in using the details of your other license if it affects an advantage with your insurance.
Unusual Insurance problem? - tyro
FWIW, my wife is British born and bred, learned to drive and passed her test in Britain, and then worked in Africa for four years. When she came back, at least one major insurance company was not prepared to insure her to drive because she had recently lived in Africa. I was somewhat surprised.

By interesting co-incidence, we ended up insuring with Norwich Union.