2001 1.6 steering pump replacement. - telecaster
Failed the MoT today on a leaking steering pump.

Is there much involved in replacement and do I need any special tools?

Ta in advance.

Edited by Pugugly on 08/06/2008 at 00:27

2001 1.6 steering pump replacement. - AlastairW
I can't tell you how easy the job is, but can tell you the part is quite pricey on its own and the labour did not add too much to the bill even at main agent prices. The total was something like £350 to £400, but thankfully it was covered under warranty at the time.
2001 1.6 steering pump replacement. - Galaxy
It's just a suggestion but, before you rush out and spend lots of money on a new power steering pump, you might consider thoroughly cleaning up the whole area to make completely certain that it's actually the pump that's leaking.

The reason I mention this is that on my Mondeo MkII, which probably uses a similar pump, it has leaked out of the pipes on the bottom of the fluid reservoir for years, due to the poor quality of the hose clips used in production. The cure for this is to either cut the original clips off and replace them with better quality ones, or to, simply, keep an eye on the fluid level and top-up when required. I've done the latter. It certainly does look like the power steering pump is leaking on my car, but it isn't!

Worth a check in your own case, I would think. Could be much cheaper to sort-out than the cost of a new pump.