Breakdown cover for travelling abroad - BobbyG
I am travelling to France (and possibly into Spain for a day) for the family holiday this year.

Anyone any recommendations on good breakdown cover policies? My Altea is covered by Seat Assistance but this seems to be a case of if you breakdown we will tow you to Seat garage. No replacement cars, onward travel etc.

Have previously used AA 5 star but not sure what the best deals are. Insured with Privilege if that makes any difference.

Having recently suffered a house fire, I now look more at the benefits of a policy rather than just the cost!

I would be looking for a policy that, if needed, would give me a replacement car of similar size to continue the holiday.

Any advice appreciated.
Breakdown cover for travelling abroad - Statistical outlier
A previous post covers my experience of AA 5 star in Europe, albeit provided under my Honda's warranty:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=44213&...e

Sorry about the length of the post, it all went a bit wrong. It took three letters to even get an apology, I never got any compensation. I would think about using someone else.

G
Breakdown cover for travelling abroad - b308
I've got a Skoda and they use RAC and give me full European Cover - are Seat not the same?
Breakdown cover for travelling abroad - BobbyG
Spoke to Seat Assistance today. It would appear that if you breakdown they will try a roadside repair or take you to nearest Seat dealer.

But this is where it got a bit vague, they seemed unsure re the position of courtesy car. They felt I would be entitled to a courtesy car for 72 hours only but not sure of size of car and whether we would get like for like (considering all luggage we would have) but were unable to say what if repair took longer, what if it happened as I was driving to Tunnel on way home etc

And I struggled to find this in writing anywhere either!

Ins co covers me for accident damage, recovery to GB if need be, but again unsure re courtesy car and what size.
Breakdown cover for travelling abroad - johncyprus
Try Eurorescue (01277 235500) which are part of Boncaster, they quoted me £32 for two weeks cover in France.
Breakdown cover for travelling abroad - Neiltoo
I'm with Green Flag, and had to use them twice:
Once, in France, about ten years ago, when exhaust fell off.
Family put up free in Ibis for two nights, just had to pay for drinks. Paid for new exhaust. Recovery excellent.
Once in UK about seven years ago, with cam belt break.
Again recovery to my local repairer, excellent.

All this is ,of course historic. HTH
Breakdown cover for travelling abroad - Armitage Shanks {p}
I am with Britannia Rescue with a UK only basic cover but was upgraded to full UK service (Recovery of vehicle and passengers to anywhere in UK, Homestart etc) and for an extra £18 on top have got that extended to cover all of 'normal' Europe. This makes the annual cost of the whole package about £80 and this includes 11 copies of their very good Motoring Magazine
Breakdown cover for travelling abroad - adverse camber
there is european only cover available.

I cant remember the details off hand but someone posted it here some time ago - needs to be taken out 7 days before you go.

quick forum search -
I've found ADAC and quotelinedirect both of whom seem to offer sensible prices - dont know if ADAC have an english language web page though?
Breakdown cover for travelling abroad - lotusexige
Just back last night from 8 days in ireland. Had AA cover, just under £50. Included roadside assistance, recovery of car to engalnd, onwoard transport and legal cover. I would imagine less for most other cars as an 8 year old Exige would be considered more of a risk than most. Thirteen houndred enjoyable and trouble free miles though.

Edited by lotusexige on 05/06/2008 at 15:17