How pleasant was plod to you? - Falkirk Bairn
At the foot of the road yesterday, awkwardly parked, was a 5 door Fiesta - N Reg.

I then noticed the back door was ajar, the the rear quarterlight was smashed and then there were wires cascading from the steering column.

Finished the dog walking and phoned PLOD. What a reception I got - I said I had spotted an "Probably abandoned stolen car" at the foot of my road.

Is it abandoned or Stolen.

I would say it was in my opinion Stolen and had been abandoned at the bottom of the road.

PLOD "the Council deal with abandoned cars"

I understand that but in my opinion it is a stolen car.

PLOD " How do you know that"

Related damage - abandoned rather than parked, broken quarterlight, door ajar, wires dangling from steering column...............

PLOD - Has the Stereo been stolen?

At this I was annoyed so I said I could not give an opinion as to whether the stereo had been stolen as it might just have been a radio but tuned Radio 4.

Within 1 hour it was uplifted.

A few years back a vandalised car was abandoned at the same point in the road - the police would not come - Council Matter!!. The Council put a label on the rear and windscreen and quoted something like 2 weeks b4 uplift as the owner had rights to the car.

Not good enough I thought - released the handbrake and pushed it down a slope to a Scottish Power substation. Phone SP and and told them the story - 2 days ago a car was left near their premises, vandalised yesterday - IT could be set on fire next! - uplifted within the hour.

Edited by Pugugly on 28/05/2008 at 18:41

How pleasant was PLOD to you? - Hamsafar
Just as rubbish for me, every time.
The most recent motoring one was similar to yours.
Next door house was sold and vacated, heard noise in the back garden, so peeped out from upstairs and could see some youths fiddling with a red scooter which still had a reg no and was in Royal Mail livery, phoned Police so they could catch them red handed, spent 10 minutes asking me personal questions about myself to add to their ID database and told me they would tell Royal Mail where it can be picked up. 30 minutes later, it was being ridden around a field half a mile away, so I rang back and was treated like some annoying nuisance.
How pleasant was PLOD to you? - oilrag
I don`t think its the Police`s fault or the Councils front line officers. It seems to me its the paperwork that won`t allow assessment skills to be deployed prior to collecting the information required by the forms.

You just would not believe some of it if you have never worked in Local Government in recent times.
I expect Police to be no different with personal judgement and autonomy of response to be totally constrained by forms.

Well, lets just say (in recent years) that if I undertook an assessment for older peoples residential care (EXCLUDING finances) There were ten forms to fill which totalled 6 hours work and were half an inch thick at the end. They then had to be photocopied 8 times and sent to a `resource allocation panel`
Wait for it... with a `Case Summary` as no one had time or could make anything meaningful out of the forms which were just a plethora of information. At times we a slipped a totally non related form in `not noticed` to prove a point.

So, I humbly suggest, give some leeway to the poor souls in the front line services who have to cope with this.

In local government professional assessment skills have been quashed by tick box forms and many of my generation have left. I would be surprised If it were much different with Police when ringing about abandoned vehicles.

Regards

How pleasant was PLOD to you? - Westpig
times have changed

in the old days the phone call via 999 or local phone line would be answered by a rare breed...a warranted police officer. That person wouldn't be new either as it would take some years before they'd become eligible to have the course for working all the equipment and databases in the control room... so you got a degree of experience as well.

nowadays all those posts have been civilianised, because it saves money. The staff that receive the calls are often the most junior. They mean well, but can, at times, be clueless.

the same problem arises, in reverse, when the experienced police officer receives the call to deal with, as half the information can be missing and the correct questions haven't been asked

ho, hum, that's the world we now live in. The thread header should have read 'How pleasant was the police control room to you' There may well have been no police officer in there at all, anywhere, as the supervisor posts have been civilianised as well. Causes problems with 'pursuit policies' when a civilian manager who has never experienced any policing simply follows guidelines without knowing 'the score'.

How pleasant was PLOD to you? - jbif
... simply follows guidelines ..

and 99.99% of the time they do not know that "guidelines" does not mean "tablets of stone".

I agree with both the posts above [by Westpig and oilrag]. It is nothing to do with PLOD, it is everything to with the politicians and the bureaucrats. Falkirk Bairn should direct his complaint at his Local Authority who control the PLOD in his area, and copy it to his Scottish Parliament MP and to Alex Salmond.

Edited by jbif on 28/05/2008 at 20:35

How pleasant was PLOD to you? - Lud
Quite, it's only partly to do with plod.

Another thing: how pleasant do people expect plod to be, especially when some faffing citizen telephones when he is trying to do something else or longing for a pee? These are gruff keepers of order (or wimpish jobsworths if phone answering has been civilianised) and one doesn't expect courtly treatment from them. A gauche display of minimal civility is the best you can expect, and actual politeness is a bonus.

I regard plod as pleasant except when he is being deliberately unpleasant, although it's hard to tell the difference in a small number of cases.
How pleasant was PLOD to you? - Old Navy
Probably down to priorities, when a five year old knocked on my door crying and lost, a call to the police local number resulted in a panda car, a traffic BMW, and a Transit van at my house within 5 minutes. He had yet to be reported missing, but problem quickly resolved. The police were very courtious, but I wasnt in the wrong or deliberatly winding them up.
How pleasant was PLOD to you? - Driller52
Hi Lud.

This is a difficult one!

Everyone has a bad day, everyone gets in a mood and the Police, simply by definition of their job, tend to get affected more than most. At the end of the day, 90% of their working day is dealing with problems and nasty people!

I am Plod and I try to be polite and courteous to everyone, whether they be a little old lady crossing the road, or a drunk reveller acting the fool. If being nice doesn't work, we can step it up a gear and be a little more firmer.

As I say, Police, by definition of their job, can be perceived to be grumpy/gruff - but please spare a thought for what that Officer may have had to deal with before coming to deal with the next person...

Let me give you an example of something that happened a week ago to a colleague of mine...

He had just worked 7 nights on the trot, finishing at 7am, getting into bed at 8am, sleeping through most of the day and not seeing his Family, before getting up, trying to do some things before being back on the beat at 11pm til 7am. He got three days off so the first day is gone by catching up on sleep. Two days off, then he started a run of 7 days - up at 5.30am to start at 7am til 5pm - quite difficult to do when your body has just got used to working nights!

Went into work, spent 3 hours on a constant observation of a drunk person with mental health issues. This involves sitting in front of an open cell door, listening to him calling him every name under the sun, abusing his kids, telling him how he was going to fornicate with my colleague's wife etc etc etc. Eventually, this person started spitting at him so the cell door was closed but the hatch had to remain open so the person could be watched... cell hatch open meant still trying to avoid the spit - a nice 3 hours - NOT!

Another colleague then took over, so my colleague went and started on the mountain of paperwork he had to do, most of which is useless Government red tape stuff.

He was then called out to an RTC where a young boy had been knocked over by a speeding motorist. We are not allowed to pronounce death, only medical people can (paramedics, Doctors etc.) but it was clear this young lad was dead and it was not a pretty sight. Once this little lad, who was five years old, was pronounced dead, my friend helped move him into the Coroner's ambulance then washed the blood away from the road. There was the obvious investigation of the road etc etc, all taking a few hours.

After that, he was called to a young lad driving fast up and down a residential road before he got a chance to grab some grub. The lad was spoken to and said to my friend all the usual things we hear - "Haven't you got something else better to do? Why don't you go catch some real criminals!" etc etc.

At this point, my colleague leant forward and rather firmly told him about the fatal RTC he had just dealt with and for the young lad to grow up.

I am NOT defending grumpy/gruff Police Officers - there are some out there who do need some lessons on being nice and courteous - but please spare a thought for what that Officer may have just had to deal with before arriving with you (and I don't mean you personally Lud :-)!)...
How pleasant was PLOD to you? - Lud
Hi Driller. Your post agrees with mine I feel.

Just a point: I don't mean grumpy or rude when I use the word gruff. To me it means busily serious and no-nonsense, but not hostile or unfriendly as such. It's a neutral word.

You can't live to my age driving about on the cusps of legality without chatting to a few coppers, and I have chatted to plenty. I remember them being quite abrasive to me in my youth and more correct as I got older. Otherwise some of the individuals concerned have been pleasant and friendly, almost good company as it were (the more intelligent sort of Met copper is a witty soul even when there is 'something of the night' about him or her), and others have been hostile and unfriendly.

This is purely a matter of individual personality, good-cop/bad-cop clowning apart. Police officers are like other human beings, some excellent, some ghastly and most more or less OK if you get them in a good mood and they don't make any bizarre unwarranted assumptions about you.
How pleasant was PLOD to you? - Driller52
Hi Lud!

Sorry - get what you mean by 'gruff' now!

A lot of plod will be quite abrasive to the youths... some say it's to let them know who is boss and learn respect for their elders (whether they be Police, teachers, Parents etc.), whereas talking to older people, Plod can be nicer because older people are generally much more nicer anyway!

Nowadays, youths are so cocky/mouthy/lippy and they know what they can get away with and will keep pushing the boundaries - then moan if they get a mouthful from an Officer!

I hear so many people say they wish we could have the 'old' days of Policing back where you'd get a clip round the ear from the Officer, then one from your Dad when you got taken home and that was the end of it... I can't comment on that as I was not around in those days, but nowadays, because of Government guidelines (and them taking away our discretion!), CPS decisions, Human Rights, my colleagues and I find it so frustrating that we cannot just 'get on with the job'! I joined to help people, to safeguard my community, bring REAL criminals to justice, to make a difference - but all I seem to do is fill in forms and chase petty crimes just to help this Government say they are cracking down on crime :-(

Even so, I will be polite and courteous to everyone I meet - no matter how bad I am feeling at that time... if that person decides to not to be polite and courteous back, then I can be just as awkward back :-) !!

Take care and all the best!
How pleasant was PLOD to you? - Niallster
The key to it all is knowing where you are on the PC crime scale.

For example I am renting a flat overlooking a school for disabled children whilst I have my house refurbished.

The local yobs were causing a nuisance skateboarding in our private car park. Plod couldn't care less. So one female flat dweller fed up with her car being damaged for the nth time reported to plod that the yobs (circa 16 years old) were taking an unhealthy interest in the young girls at the school and making suggestive comments and gestures. They were cleaned out within a day and warned never to return.

Unethical but you have to play the system these days.
How pleasant was PLOD to you? - Pugugly
Before this thread continuous down the usual well trodden path of Police bashing can we bring it back on topic ? The OP asked a question about the quality of service that he perceives that he had he didn't have - it was linked to motoring by the fact that it was linked to abandoned cars - I was tempted to lock it now. Unless something can be added to the OP's observation that may well be its fate.

Edited by Pugugly on 28/05/2008 at 21:26

How pleasant was PLOD to you? - Avant

There are bad eggs in every profession, but the majority of police officers are doing a difficult job well. I lectured on financial awareness to the Fraud Squad a few years ago and there were a whole lot of interesting and intelligent people there - more than can be said for the civilians who slashed the training budget.

Edited by Avant on 28/05/2008 at 21:32

How pleasant was PLOD to you? - FotheringtonThomas
The thread header should have read
'How pleasant was the police control room to you'

I agree to an extent with this. I called the police, directed to somewhere in Oxford, *miles* away, after witnessing an oik thrashing a brand new BMW up a "quiet" residential road near where I was visiting. I mentioned that 60+ in a 30 zone in 2nd. gear was not good, and that a garage in the vicinity (with a local reputation for "road testing" new cars) could do with a friendly visit, and that the car had obviously non-legal numberplates.

The "civilian" operative (actually the police are civilians too, you know) was sullenly ratty and rude. "How did I know?", etc. Well, sweetie, "BMW Z4M ROADSTER" is obviously illegal as a numberplate. "How do you know?", etc. I should have asked for a name, just to formally complain, but, incandescent with fury, I rang off. When I calmed down and rang again, to re-issue my complaint, and to cold-bloodedly complain about the operative, there was "no record" of my previous call, and "a community officer" would be advised of the speeding issue.

Hell's bells.
How pleasant was PLOD to you? - grumpyscot
Not very - I called to report a vehicle being vandalised - they asked me what my occupation was, where I'd been that evening, where was I now, why have I not intervened. Went on for over 5 minutes until I asked them - "Don't you want a description of the vehicle being vandalised?" Relunctantly, they said "Yes". So I told them - it's parked in a car park of an unattended police station. The car, by the way, is a Vauxhall Astra panda car reg no xxxx xxx".

Total silence on the other end of the line.

I hung up!

How pleasant was PLOD to you? - PW
Seems I am in the minority. All the dealings with the Police have left me impressed with them. First time was mid 90's, when I was pulled over for speeding. I was totally in the wrong, but was a supermarket manager at the time (biggest mistake I have ever made) and was answering an early hours alarm call (3rd day running, all triggered by delivery drivers). Police officer gave me the the third degree, but was polite throughout and let me on my way with a flea in my ear.

in recent years have called the Police 3 times. Twice for motoring issues, someone walking along the M5, the second a large object laying in lane one of the M5. Was using a number the local motorway service station had given me for the walker. Operator at the end of the phone was initially annoyed as I was using a direct police number, and he wanted to know why I had it and was using it, but once realised what I was calling about was very friendly and polite, and told me to use 999 if I ever saw something similar again.

Final time was for a burglary in recently vacated house next door to ours. Got all the details of what I had heard and seen, and if I had been obvious about seeing what was happening. 5 minutes later had a Police car and 2 PCs round. Within 15 minutes 2 more units and a dog handler, but burglars must have spotted me and were long gone. Officers were all very keen to capture them though.
How pleasant was PLOD to you? - bintang
My only contact with the Boys & Girls in Blue for years was at night about a year ago, in Bournemouth. The town centre lights were as bright as day, which is probably why I drive off without mine on. I was quickly pulled over and a young constable checked my breath, licence and car details and sent me off with a courtous and friendly warning.
How pleasant was plod to you? - mfarrow
The problem is mobile phones. Years ago, one would have seen an incident and half the time ignored the situation, i.e. late night pub scruffle. Now, with every man and his dog having a phone in their pocket, even the smallest and most insignificant offense could get reported. I admit to being a culprit of this, having called someone in for carrying a half-drunk crate of booze home early on a Saturday morning along a 60mph country road whilst zig-zagging into the carriageway; he wasn't doing any damage, but he could have got him and someone else killed.

In the above incident I was treated to the upmost respect until mentioned that the incident, which I said was 'just outside Rugby', was on the road coming into Kilsby. I was promptly informed that it was actually a Northamptonshire Police problem, with a tone akin to insisting that I should have known that.
How pleasant was plod to you? - FotheringtonThomas
having called someone in
for carrying a half-drunk crate of booze home early on a Saturday morning along a
60mph country road whilst zig-zagging into the carriageway

Should've given him a lift, that would have been a heavy load to carry any distance. I bet you'dve got some beer out of it, too!
How pleasant was plod to you? - oilrag
I had Plod in the house a while back as someone smashed a car (Drunk) into our front garden.

One was polite and easy to talk with. The other seemed to behave sullenly, almost with scarcely cloaked menace, as though out of an eastern block film.

Even though I`m getting on a bit and look even worse than average regarding remaining strength, the latter would not sit down in the lounge until I did. I know they are supposed not to etc. But he was 50% heavier than me, in his prime, bristling with `punishment` kit and with a colleague in a good area.

I was tempted to half rise again to get him to genuflect to me, but thought better of it.

Very heavy to talk with, coming out with "We can`t protect victims" sounding like I was actually the criminal.
A good reminder to keep your head down and not be a witness,

The other officer was a credit to the Police Service.. and I remain, pro Police.

Edited by oilrag on 29/05/2008 at 22:18

How pleasant was plod to you? - midlifecrisis
I have the misfortune of very occasionally having to cover as the control room supervisor for the midlands motorway network.

I had a guy ring me last week wanting to complain that the Police did nothing to keep the motorway flowing. This was apparently a serious failing and I should dispatch someone promptly to magic the traffic away. This was 5.30pm at the M5/M6 interchange. He promptly informed me that he was very high up in the 'Ministry' and had the ear of the Prime Minister. (I think his surname was Mitty)

I asked him to ask Gordon to build a few more roads then. I hope he went away feeling like he was an irritant.......because he was!!

Edited by midlifecrisis on 29/05/2008 at 21:49

How pleasant was plod to you? - rogue-trooper
only called the OB once. There was a (preumably) drunk girl lying in the middle of a road near Clapham Common. (I felt bad that I didn't stop but at 2.30am I was keen to get home). I got through, told them what had happened and then was put on hold for 5 minutes. They were more interested in my details than the girl in the road.
How pleasant was plod to you? - jbif
Today's news goes some way to support the OP's views.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2052629/Police-pun...l

" ..... Officers are ..... becoming increasingly alienated from ordinary people as a result.
Members of the public find officers to be "rude" and accuse them of neglecting their duties and failing to respond to reports of crime. .... "

How pleasant was plod to you? - mfarrow
A few of you have mentioned that 'personal details seem more important than dealing with the crime'. This is too how I felt, but have since been re-assured that as soon as the crime information is put into the system, it is fed to Police control for dispatch. The personal details are recorded in case you are required to be called back later in case of a serious incident, or if the 'real Police' require more information about what you saw (in other words witness statements.
How pleasant was plod to you? - Niallster
Cop on the Jeremy Vine show stated that if its getting towards the end of the month and he's short on arrests he will 'arrest you for stepping on the cracks on the pavement'.
How pleasant was plod to you? - Dwight Van Driver
...sticks head around door to ask.......

Conversely how pleasant were YOU to Plod?

...departs in hail of cabbages, tomatoes and eggs.

dvd
Happy to answer DVD. Absolutely completely unfailingly polite and ultra respectful. You never know it might just get you off.

What I say when they have gone is another matter...
How pleasant was plod to you? - Cliff Pope
...sticks head around door to ask.......
Conversely how pleasant were YOU to Plod?
...departs in hail of cabbages tomatoes and eggs.
dvd

Very good point DVD. It is a generally true observation of life that people respond in the manner with which they are treated. If you show respect, you will be respectfully treated.
How pleasant was plod to you? - Lud
Up to a point CP. But relations between police officers and members of the public tend in the nature of things often to be conducted in slightly or very fraught situations; and both parties will often have a conscious or unconscious expectation that their dialogue will be an adversarial one on some level.

Police officers are undoubtedly trained to defuse this sort of thing, but some are much better at it than others and they may not want to defuse the situation for some reason. An added complication will arise with differences of class or culture or ethnic origin between the parties, all things that regularly produce misunderstandings and foolish assumptions.

People are not as polite as they used to be, or so it seems to me, and many have been politicised in a vulgar way by our increasingly cynical and tabloid mass media, leading them to jump to silly conclusions and try to play the system cynically in their turn in what they imagine to be a shrewd way.

So the intelligence and goodwill of the copper and the citizen are really at a premium in these dialogues. It is hardly surprising that they quite often fall short of what is needed.
How pleasant was plod to you? - Pugugly
There is a simple answer to all the detractors - go and try and do it yourselves. All Forces have opportunities for Special Constables. Come back and report your experiences with the great unwashed - and I don't mean the cops !
By sheer chance I surfed into David Copperfield's "Policeman's Blog" after posting the above. I have unashamedly cut and pasted an e-mail sent to the current Blogger there - he took the words out of my mouth.

Johnny's training to be a Special.
He writes:
We have an image problem. No, I'm not talking about the kind of "image" supposedly projected by PR budgets. I am very concerned that the people who tend to set the policy agenda, 'swing voters' and opinion forming journalists have absolutely no idea what the police actually do day-to-day. I recently did a day of Emergency Life Support. The bit which hit home was not the actual training but the comments and side-stories told by the trainers. They told us to expect to be attacked and interfered with by onlookers and the friends and family of the patient. We were told to keep an eye out for people likely to stab us in the back or steal from us while we are trying to save lives. This will all be old hat to the seasoned readers of this blog, but to a naive member of the public, albeit a trainee Special, it came as a strong reality check.
Ordinary citizens (and most importantly the people who are in charge at the top) see coppers when they are on patrol or flying past, sirens blaring. They generally don't see the darker side. If people don't see the reality, then how can they possibly make sensible judgements?
Popular opinion has policing down as a bit of a cushy career: the good starting salary, the pension, the early retirement age; the media are full of stories about how the cops failed or didn't turn up or made a tragic mistake.
I bet if more people could somehow see the kind of thing that officers actually get up to day in, day out they would be less dismissive.

How pleasant was plod to you? - jbif
There is a simple answer to all the detractors - go and try and do it yourselves

No need to do even that. Just tune in to the Cop shows on BBC, ITV, Sky, and the latest addition on Fridays at 9pm on Five TV.

It is amazing that Plod keeps his/her motivation in the face of obstacles from all corners, including the laughable sentences imposed in the few cases that seem to get to court.

How pleasant was plod to you? - Westpig
It is amazing that Plod keeps his/her motivation in the face of obstacles from all
corners >>

it is difficult sometimes..but generally speaking you work with like minded people who do their best to collar the oik... you ignore the set backs after a while

but... the 'armchair warriors' who think they know the score or those with an unpleasant political agenda still irritate, sometimes greatly...ho hum, the price of a decent democracy
...still like to tease them in Court though !
How pleasant was plod to you? - Waino
Come back and report your experiences with the great unwashed>>

Anybody who works with the public at large will tell you that 50% of 'em are stupid - and a further 10% of them, dangerously so. In fact, about the same proportion that applies to drivers.
If you read the news you will see that moves are in place to bring the police under political control.

A decade ago the police could have called upon the support of the public to resist such changes.

But having squandered all support from the only sections of society that would have supported them against a government seeking to centralise power they now stand alone.

They will now reap what they have sown.
But having squandered all support from the only sections of society that would have supported them against a government seeking to centralise power they now stand alone.
They will now reap what they have sown.

>>
Don't really understand yuor point Niallster..are you saying it is the fault of the Police that they've lost public support and it is now too bad that the public won't support them to prevent political control?

More often than not, to the public it is the 'police' fault when quite often it isn't e.g. CPS charging decision, court sentencing decision. Some of the areas that really irritate the public e.g. contentrating on minor crime for figures... have been imposed by govt in reality because if you become totally figures orientated, it is hardly surprising that those being leant on in management positions (for their performance related pay) will lean heavily on those they supervise, who in turn will seek the easy option, that's human nature and life. Those at the working end of this fiasco would prefer not to but are not going to accept weariness from their management either. At the end of the day politicisation of the police would be an enormously retrograde step.

I sincerely hope a new govt will back off from the figures culture and allow the Old Bill to do what they're good at, which is police what they think they should be policing, not what some Home Office bureacrat thinks they should be, for often knee jerk political reasons. For the public to wash their hands of it shoots themselves in the feet, badly...it will affect us all. Maybe then you might see some traffic police and ordinary officers concentrating on traffic matters. Hope so.

How pleasant was plod to you? - oilrag
Or maybe even criminals....... ;)
Or maybe even criminals....... ;)

more than fair point...my excuse was i was trying to inject a hint of motoring relevance
How pleasant was plod to you? - ForumNeedsModerating
..allow the Old Bill to do what they're good at, which is police what they think they should be policing, not what some Home Office bureacrat thinks they should be, for often knee jerk political reasons.

Yes, totally agree - even from my civvy perspective. Apart from some exceptional & special issues - maybe terrorism or emerging acute social issues - Chief Constables and/or regional policing control bodies, should be given the brief:

'Make your community one in which people feel safe & protected going about their lawful purpose; prioritise those issues & areas you feel would acheive this, taking into account local concerns. Deter & detect crime in correct proportion so as to make criminals (or would-be criminals) fully aware & recipient of the consequences'.
How pleasant was plod to you? - L'escargot
How pleasant? I've only spoken to one in my entire life and he was positively gleeful as he handed me my first and only Fixed Penalty Notice!
Nothing stopping them being happy in their work. I remember handling a complaint back in the 80s. Speeder radared and issued with a ticket. The (female) driver was happy with the process apart from the Officer singing under is breath "who's smiling now".

He was very productive (and happy) Traffic Officer, I did a lot of work with him over the years, he had the knack of being unnervingly jolly even at 3.00am which tended to grind a little.

Edited by Pugugly on 31/05/2008 at 12:53

How pleasant was plod to you? - guss
I have a few family members in the police and they all mention the same frustrations in their job. Politicians have for a good few years placed loads of red tape in the way of the police statistics ,forms, daft initiatives, more forms , more statistics then they tell the public the police are more accountable. They meddle and interfere and in blazes of their own self publicity they tell us of new government plans to make britain safer. Anything to avoid locking up bad guys because jail cells are too expensive and a drain on their numerous budgets. Most Police just want to do a good job and put people who deserve it behind bars where they belong, cut out the unesscessary paperwork and give the public the service they deserve. But most politicians are unqualified in the areas they seem to control and will never admit their mistakes. Someone mentioned the police will reap what they sow. The police dont make the rules politicians do, but do they have to cope when things go wrong? no . Most police ive spoken to are hard working and care about their work but they must be swimming in a sea of endless paperwork. there rant over
How pleasant was plod to you? - Bilboman
For the record, I have had very few encounters with the BIBs over the years, but all of them perfectly professional and correct.
If I may throw a political hot potato into the arena here... Is it time to have fully accountable, directly elected police chiefs?
Not the British way at all, but if the public were free to vote for a police chief who was for/against speed cameras, wanted more/fewer patrol cars, etc., with the chance to vote him/her out after 3/4/5 years if dissatisfied, then maybe public's perception of the police would change and for the better.
Just a thought...
How pleasant was plod to you? - gordonbennet
Please no, we don't want to go any further down the road of the American dream.

Remember somebody voted for every single current and former politician, the public at large cannot be trusted with such a responsibility as voting with common sense.

I shudder at the prospect of voice over adverts from celebrities who haven't got enough millions to see their dotage out/pay for next weeks annual facelift.

Prospective chief constables kissing babies, telling old folks in homes what they want to hear, being filmed cycling to the supermarket in jeans and a tank top....i can't go on...
How pleasant was plod to you? - NARU
Just realised that I haven't been stopped by the police for over 20 years - since I first got a company car in fact!

Even a policeman has to enjoy his work. A dentist friend admits he especially likes doing extractions - bet his patients don't agree!

Edited by Marlot on 01/06/2008 at 23:15