03 2.0 Towing/ClutchBurn/Clutch Prices - Chrissklav
I have a 53 plate Estate 2L D 130. had it off my dada at 67000 miles - now on 74000 3000 of which has been towing my caravan - just bought a new house and burned out the clutch reversing it on the drive - typical!

Booked the car into Ford for next week - if it needs flywheel and cylinder too Im looking at about £1100 mark all in. Is this reasonable?

Any advice on these clutches and towing welcome - all I can come up with is don't reverse. Guy at Ford reckons cos no asbestos is used they dont take the strain anymore. Also rekoned his dad did exactly thesame thing although his mondeo only had 20000 on clock.

Help.

Cheers
03 2.0 Towing/ClutchBurn/Clutch Prices - piston power
Why not try a local indiependent garage for a quote?

Im sure there prices are going to be less than ford & you can still have a genuine clutch fitted.
03 2.0 Towing/ClutchBurn/Clutch Prices - injection doc
Diesel clutches are prone to burning very quickly when towing. I have towed thousands of miles in europe with TDC'is and always treat the clutch with extreme caution. I use a electric mover to move the van. When pulling away I try to avoid any revs untill the car is moving. Due to the shear tourque of modern diesels & asbestos free clutches they can't cope with the heat generated. My worst fear has always been to get stuck in stop start traffic on an incline on a motorway but have always escaped that & have now changed to Auto for towing. The penalty is having to have a much bigger engine & auto box to that its strong enough to put up with towing.
I would try an independant garage but insist they have the experience & use a "new" & well branded make of clutchsuch as valeo or LUK. They should be able to purchase a DMF should it need one. Should be about 8-900 with DMF & Hydraulics.
Doc
03 2.0 Towing/ClutchBurn/Clutch Prices - Nige 101
I have read a similar story in CSMA magazine. A chap who had several Mondeos and had towed earlier Mk 1 and 2 models with no probs had premature failure on his Mk 3 DMF clutch. I am no mechanic but these do seem more fragile than earlier designs. I have also read that problems have also occurred on Transits and people have been fitting the earlier types of clutch but whether his is possible on a Mondeo I dont know.
03 2.0 Towing/ClutchBurn/Clutch Prices - jedmar

I know it will probably be too late for Chrissklav, but I had the clutch, flywheel, starter motor (and possibly slave cylinder if it has one) replaced on my 2004 TDCI at a non franchised garage for £800inc. The garage I used was my regular one which has a nice professional look without the main dealer prices. It lasted for another 2 years / 15k still fine when I sold it.