Climate Control - EoinM
all,

just a quick question thats driving me mad. Bought a 2 year old Leon at the start of the year. All was flying with it but with the weather a bit warmer i was setting the climate contol to the "LO" setting to cool the car. However the air was not air con cold. it was more cold ish really. i use the air con regulary even when heating up the car and window demisting and to be honest i never really noticed much of a difference between it being on or off. i dont really use the auto function at all, just the manual cool for air into my face.

any ideas as to the cause? is it just a regass job (or possible a leak of the gas) do ye think or is it just because its climate control that it wont do the really cold air cool?

any help would be great because i'm confused and dont want to go spending a packet on regassing etc when it may just be a characteristic of a climate control system...
Climate Control - maz64
IIRC the 'LO' stands for low power ie. it doesn't actually cool the air (which takes power).

John (ex-Leon 2 FR )
Climate Control - maz64
...in other words, it turns off the air con so you've only got the option of heating the incoming air, not cooling it, as per a normal ventilation system.
Climate Control - daveyjp
On the Audi 'LO' means max cooling - no target temperature - it supplies cold air (very cold air in my car's case) continually at max fan speed until such time as either the fan speed is reduced manually or a temperature is set.
Climate Control - maz64
On the Audi 'LO' means max cooling

I'm pretty sure it was the opposite on our Leon, but OP should check drivers handbook if he's got one - it does explain it in there.
Climate Control - maz64
Seatcupra.net has a forum just for Leon 2s - useful for questions like this. See:

www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=169922

Edited by Focus {P} on 12/05/2008 at 13:55

Climate Control - BobbyG
Would agree with davey - my Altea climate control goes down to 16 and then to LO. At 16 it will control the temp at that level however I believe at LO it will just blast its coldest air until you change controls.

Sounds to me you need a regas - Budget are doing one just now for about £30 I think.
Climate Control - maz64
Might be getting 'lo' mixed up with 'econ' - apologies if so, but best to check manual anyway.
Climate Control - EoinM
no the econ button is for turning the air con on and off. the low is the temperature selecter. it goes down as far as 16 degrees then press it down again and the temperature figure goes to "lo". i reckon its probablt the same set-up as the audi unit (VAG part sharing). i have a warranty from where i bought it but i know if i bring it to them they'll just say its fine (they do great deals when buying the car, do good service work but warranty work throw your hat at it!). I was thinking it was a regas job alright!

Thanks so much for the quick replies! this is the best car forum by a long shot! i am joined the seatcupra.net forum also but i got confused with people going on about cabin sensors and ambient air temp and all that! i could understand the use of sensors for the auto setting but the "lo" one to cool the car i would have thought is just like flicking on the sir con on a manual unit!

Eoin
Climate Control - Dave N
Isn't it under VAG warranty?

Get it checked out properly. I don't know why at the first sign of an a/c issue everyone says 'stick more gas in it!' If it is a gas issue, then you have a leak, so that is just a sympton of another problem.

If the engine won't start, does everyone stick more gas in the tank? The PS goes, must need more fluid somewhere, and if it does, who knows where the old stuff went. Engine overheating, stick some water in it and not worry about where all the existing water went? Flat tyre? Just pump it up.
Climate Control - EoinM
unfortunately out of warranty...Seat just give 2 year warrantys here in Ireland unlike 3 in the UK. its 2 years 3 months old. The dealer i bought it from 3 months ago are useless on warranty issues anyway. i know they'll fob me off...like i said great to buy from, goos servicing but lowsy aftersales when you're not actually giving them money. they make you feel a complete pink fluffy dice tbh...

Obviously i wont just be getting it regassed by some idiot. I'd never skimp on mantainence. A regas seems the obvious first port of call though. I rang the only local guy i could find. he'll check the gas levels, regas if required and put a dye into the system in case it goes pear shaped again to find any leaks. seemed to know what he was on about. also does system diagnostics before any of this to make sure everything is working as it should. at ?180+VAT its steep but if the job is thorough its fine by me...

{next time I will delete the whole post instead of editing out the naughty word as it's quicker}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/05/2008 at 19:56