2000 2.0 HDi 110 White smoke on startup when cold - homebrew
Hi, Please can someone help!
I have a lot of smoke on startup for about 30 seconds if the engine is cold and it is cold outside, otherwise the warmer it is the less smoke I get.
I have checked the glow plugs and they measure about 0.6 ohms there is about 9 volts on them before starting.
But the glowplugs only stay on for about 1s. According to the manual I have, this should be more like 16 seconds. Is there a problem with the glowplug controller or is there a temperature sensor associated with the controller?
Any ideas please.
2000 2.0 HDi 110 White smoke on startup when cold - Screwloose

HDi glowplugs aren't used for starting; so one second is about right in current temps. They should stay on for over a minute post-start though - do they.

Does it use water? Have you had a compression test done?
Screwloose

That's interesting I didn't know that.
I measured the voltage this morning and post-start the glowplugs were on for 3 minutes, so it looks like they are working.
The engine doesn't use any water. I have not had a compression test done, however I still get the same engine performance and mpg.
2000 2.0 HDi 110 White smoke on startup when cold - Screwloose
That 3 minutes is it's max post-start period. I wonder if the coolant temp sensor is temperamental?

A compression check, stone cold, would be my next test.

Edited by Screwloose on 30/04/2008 at 14:42

Actually there wasn't much smoke this morning, so maybe it is the coolant temp sensor, but wouldn't this show on the internal temp gauge?
I will leave the compression check for now because I have spent more on repairs in the last year than the car is worth!
2000 2.0 HDi 110 White smoke on startup when cold - SpamCan61 {P}
Actually there wasn't much smoke this morning so maybe it is the coolant temp sensor
but wouldn't this show on the internal temp gauge?

>>

Depends on the car, on my bangernomics Omegas the gauge in the dash was driven from a different sensor to the one the ECU used. You can probably check the resistance of the sensor with a multimeter, maybe Screwloose or someone will know the correct resistance values for a Pug.