3 weeks of ownership - bimmer-driver
All of you on this board will have seen the posts relating to peoples problems getting a Colt CZC delivered- I was one of these people until I'd had enough and cancelled my order (BTW, it took over 3 weeks of threatening them with trading standards, consumer direct etc before the Mitsubishi dealer refunded my £1000 deposit. Mitsubishi HQ were no help whatsoever and in the end my bank managed to get me my money back as the dealer wrote March delivery on the order form and was then didn't deliver). Anyway, Colt cancelled I went down the road to my local MINI garage and bought a 56 plate Mini Cooper Convertible in Chili Red from the MINI Cherished scheme. This is how I've got on with it over the last 3 weeks.
First things first, the MINI garage were excellent- extremely courteous, a good deal offered, they couldn't have done more for me and the car itself, well its pretty much perfect. It was registered by MINI themselves on Dec 24 th 2006 and in those 16 months it only did 2800 miles so its pretty much as it left the factory condition wise. Its got all the standard Cooper bits plus the Pepper pack and the TLC package aswell and looks really snazzy in Chili Red with black hood and all the chrome trim bits.
It drives brilliantly aswell, handles like a go kart when the hoods down and is plenty nippy enough for my needs. I'm just having to get used to driving it with more revs after a year driving an Ibiza 1.4tdi which pulled from low revs really well. Theres no wind noise with the hood up, no leaks and from the drivers seat it feels like your in a Mondeo sized car. Even the rides not too bad even though its on runflats because its got the standard 175/65 r15 wheel /tyre combo. Its averaged 38 mpg in the 600 miles I've used it.
Downside? Well, the boots really tiny, theres not any rear legroom to speak of and it does get really bad scuttle shake when taken over rough roads. But I knew these things when I bought it so thats that.
In my opinion though, NO other car on the market can really put a smile on your face like this car can. Give me a sunny day on a twisty road in this car over a Ferrari any day.
3 weeks of ownership - Pugugly
Hope you enjoy it - despite what people say on here and in other forums, they are genuinely good cars - and different.
3 weeks of ownership - mrmender
Hope you enjoy it - despite what people say on here and in other forums
they are genuinely good cars - and different.

You need to get out more PU
3 weeks of ownership - boxsterboy
from the
drivers seat it feels like your in a Mondeo sized car. >>

I guess that's because it's not that much smaller than a Mondeo sized car ...
3 weeks of ownership - Lud
I've only been in one - not a convertible - and I wasn't all that impressed. However it was being driven by a friend who is a fairly brisk but rough driver, a bit sudden and clumsy with all the controls, so he probably made it feel more uncomfortable than it really was.

I gather from his post above that mm isn't too keen either...

Edited by Lud on 29/04/2008 at 20:23

3 weeks of ownership - john farrar
I sometimes drive the wife's Cooper convertible which we've had since new. It's great with the roof down but I think it's a very average car with the roof up.
As you'd expect it's noisy on the motorway and the rear vision is awful. Thank goodness it's got standard wheels and tyres as thiese make the ride is just about acceptable . I've been in one with the optional bigger wheels and it was a real teeth shaker with lots more road noise.
Problems over our 30 months of ownership have been minor : slow clock, faulty rear parking sensors, bad chrome on rear trim. All were replaced under warranty with no quibbling.

Edited by Webmaster on 30/04/2008 at 02:10

3 weeks of ownership - mrmender
mmmm a hard one lud just don't like new mini's. Has nothing to do with old mini's. why not call it a BMW?
Pointless motor imo
I am however pleased it is made in the UK
3 weeks of ownership - L'escargot
.......... in those 16
months it only did 2800 miles ............

In that case you should check the brake discs for corrosion.