2004 2.0 Fsi Sport Automatic head gasket blown - Ken6
My Altea is a 2.0 (FSI) Sport automatic, I have had it from new, there is 52000 miles on the clock, and it is 3.5 years old. {so approx 2004 then? I'll add it to the subject header, as per the requests mentioned here and there}

In February this year, 2008, I had a major fault with the coils to the engine (sorry I have the error code somewhere but could not find it this evening), which when checked at my SEAT dealer was identified as a problem only applicable to the 2.0 petrol automatic engines used in the first three months of the model being launched (my engine fell into this category) that required the engine coils to be replaced free of charge. The coils were replaced at the beginning of March 2008.

I had reported this problem to my dealer at least 3 times in the previous years but they always said, no trace of fault on computer printout. After the major problem occurred I developed a water loss, on average .25 ltr/500 miles. My dealer pressure tested the engine at the beginning March when the coils were replaced, but advised me that there was no trace of a leak. The problem of water loss continued, and today the car was left at the dealer and they have phoned me to say that the head gasket has blown and gave me an estimate of the likely repair cost.

I have told them that I am not happy with this.

I told them that I suspected that the coils failure, which caused very erratic misfire on three cylinders, was the cause of the head gasket blowing.

Am I correct? Any guidance would be appreciated.

I have asked my dealer to contact SEAT and ask that they accept an out of warranty repair.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/04/2008 at 01:34

2004 2.0 Fsi Sport Automatic head gasket blown - gbroberti
Just a word of warning about the dealer diagnosis, we have a 2004 2.0 FSi Altea that loses water, it has been to three dealers who claim they cannot find the water leak however I found it my self coming from the coolant port on the right of the engine and running down the back of the engine block, it usually evaporates before it gets to the floor. The rate of loss is similar to yours.

Is the engine showing any other signs of head gasket failure?
Thanks for your warning gbroberti. I had read your postings on your problem, and that prompted me to post my situation on this forum.

Unfortunately the car is already in the workshop being attended too so I cannot stop it now and check if my situation is the same as yours. I can just hope that after the work has been done the problem has been cured, if not I'm going to have fun, I don't think.

I will post any developments as they occur.

Just an afterthought, before you had your problem had you had any missfire warnings on the dashboard?

Edited by Ken6 on 11/04/2008 at 10:47

We haven't had any coil problems or misfires.

Seat contributed 50% to our leaking water pump when the car was 4 months out of warranty, I hope they manage similar or better with your head gasket.
An update this morning.

Guess what, groberti, you were dead right. Surprise surprise its not a head gasket blown, its the side coolant flange, same as your problem. Now waiting for parts to arrive.

My wonderful dealer says that it is a 'pig of a job to replace. Me thinks he's bumping up the price. If possible I would appreciate it if you could give me some indication of the cost you were involved in when yours was replaced.

Many thanks

Edited by Ken6 on 12/04/2008 at 11:12

I haven't had the coolant flange replaced yet as no dealer has been able to confirm my diagnosis. At the moment now I know where its coming from I'm just topping up until it becomes more obvious.

I'm glad the dealer was honest enough to save you from a head gasket change.
Thanks.

I will post up the cost when I have it. In the meantime I did find the following link on replacing the flange if you want to diy, www.audiworld.com/tech/eng76.shtml. Although in my youth I have stripped down engines and re-assembled, unfortunately I am now past diy due to illnesses.
Coolant sealant now replaced. If it is of help gbroberti the cost was £162.00 including VAT and parts/coolant at just over £25 inc VAT. They are putting in a claim to SEAT for me and I have written to SEAT as well.

In order for the garage to actually confirm that it was the coolant gasket leaking they had to do a pressure test on the engine for 1.5 hours before they could see the leak. Might be worth you asking your local garage to do a long term pressure test, as obviously the previous short term pressure test carried out on my car did not show the leak.
Thanks Ken6, thats really useful info. The car is leaving large puddles on the drive now so it might be time to take it back to the dealer.