1998? R Reg 1.25 16v, timing belt? - piston power
I have the pleasure of servicing this at the weekend my question is does this have a timing belt?

Is the belt interval 40,000mls if fitted, it's done 49,700mls?

Any probs with this engine?

{guessing year is 1998. could well be 1997?}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/03/2008 at 12:44

fiesta 1.25 16v r reg, timing belt? - DP
Yes it does, and believe it or not, the interval is 100,000 miles, or 10 years, so this is due on the time criteria rather than mileage.

You'll need a set of timing pins for this engine as the pulleys are not marked (and the cam pulleys are not keyed to the shafts). One pin screws into the crankcase and contacts a web on the crank when no1 is at TDC. The other is a plate which fits into notches in the tail of the cams (cover has to come off)

There are three different belt tensioner types used and they are not interchangeable, so you might need the engine number when you buy the new belt kit (we did) to make sure you get the right one. The good news is no water pump to worry about, as it's driven off the auxiliary belt.

I entrusted ours to a mechanic friend, but he did it in well under an hour and reckoned it was easy.

Nice little engine to work on really. Make sure you use a good quality 5W/30 oil though.

Cheers
DP
fiesta 1.25 16v r reg, timing belt? - piston power
100,000mls crikey there hopeing!

Yes will have a look at it it's been serviced by ford from been new but this is the second owner just got it this week.
Thanks Dp.......
fiesta 1.25 16v r reg, timing belt? - Dynamic Dave
100 000mls

or 10 years. So overdue if it's a 1997, or due now if it's a 1998.
fiesta 1.25 16v r reg, timing belt? - piston power
Just spoke to him dave been told it's a 98 and belt has not been done but he want's to leave the belt another 6 months!!

Folk should not own car's best get a donkey!!
1998? R Reg 1.25 16v, timing belt? - Roland T
I had the timing belt and tensioner done on my late '96 1.25 Fiesta at the 10 year interval when mileage was about 94K.
The belt was in great condition and looked like it would have soldiered on for a good while afterwards but it's not the sort of thing you want to take a chance on...............
1998? R Reg 1.25 16v, timing belt? - piston power
Yes i agree but it's not up to me!

Too many posts on here of timing belt failures and very costly to some engines, timing gears much better to own but then again garages would be out of pocket if they lasted forever!
1998? R Reg 1.25 16v, timing belt? - Galaxy
I've never heard of a Ford Zetec engine timing belt going, it's the tensioner and/or pulley wheels that fail first.

1998? R Reg 1.25 16v, timing belt? - fiesta1000
Hi there bigtee,

My timing belt literally went yesterday on my fiesta. Its in the garage today getting fixed. The car has just hit 80,000 miles (S Reg 1998) and i was lucky enough to shut the engine down and soon as i realized that something was wrong.

They stated that it would take 3hours to fix and that the water pump might need replacing.

regards
fiesta1000
1998? R Reg 1.25 16v, timing belt? - jc2
TEN years!
1998? R Reg 1.25 16v, timing belt? - DP
They stated that it would take 3hours to fix and that the water pump might need replacing.

The water pump is driven off the auxiliary belt on these engines, not the timing belt so unless there is a separate issue with the water pump, it doesn't need to be touched. If it goes at a later date, it can be changed without disturbing the timing belt.

Has the garage established there's been no damage caused by the belt failing, or are they just going to fit a new one and see what happens?

Cheers
DP

{this reply moved from an exact post elsewhere by the same author, but since deleted to avoid too much repetitiveness}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/03/2008 at 10:22

1998? R Reg 1.25 16v, timing belt? - kvh
"I entrusted ours to a mechanic friend, but he did it in well under an hour and reckoned it was easy."

I wish I knew the tricks he obviously knows :(

I've got a 1998 (R) 1.4Si with the zetec engine, I'm doing my timing belt this easter weekend and so far, after about 4 hours today, I'm stuck because:

a) I can't get the crank pulley off even using my breaker bar and locking the engine in place in gear with someone pressing the brakes. The vibration damper just flexes as I try and loosen the pulley bolt!

b) My upper timing cover seems to be stuck to the engine in the bottom front corner despite me having removed MORE bolts from the cover than the Haynes manual tells me there should be in it.. I've already cracked the timing cover trying to prize it off.. another part to go and buy tomorrow!

Question is... I dont have a pulley holder tool, Do I absolutely need one or is there some other trick to getting the pulley bolt on and off ??

Also, it looks like I'm going to need a Puller to get the pulley off once the bolt is loose and then some kind of studding/washer/nut contraption to force the pulley back on once i'm finished.. Am I to beleive the Haynes manual or can some of this be.. 'bodged' :)

Thanks in advance if anybody can help me out... - Kev

(sorry if this is a duplicate!) {not any more. I deleted your other post in this thread - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/03/2008 at 19:44

1998? R Reg 1.25 16v, timing belt? - thomp1983
if the engine is still more or less complete and the timing hasn't been touched, wedge the breaker bar between the floor and the pulley bolt and turn the engine over, the force of the starter will undo the bolt, be careful it's not the safest method but has been used countless times by many

chris
Ah ok, cheers Chris I might give that a go tomorrow..

But what would the equivalent process be for putting a new pulley bolt back on? Just torque it by hand even tho the vibration damper is flexing?

Thanks - Kev
once the jobs done, you should be able to torque it correctly by hand using the in 5th apply brakes method, it'll be the loctite on the bolt thats making it difficult to undo

chris
Ahh you know what tho.. just remembered reading that when you loosen the crank pulley bolt you effectively loose your valve timing, so I get the impression that the crank timing sprocket is somehow held in position by compression from the pulley bolt.

So if I use the starter motor method there's a risk of smashing pistons into valves is there not?? Quite shocked that the crank sprocket would be held on like that but it certainly sounds like it from the Haynes manual....

Kev
hmmm in that case not sure on the answer then

chris
1998? R Reg 1.25 16v, timing belt? - pmh
My timing belt literally went yesterday on my fiesta. ......hit 80,000 miles (S Reg 1998)

Which engine???? If it is the 1.25 Zetec there is no way it is a £300 job!

the proper tool for the job looks like this,

tinyurl.com/3346wv

and reading autodata then yes you won't be able to use the starter motor method. best bet would be to pop down a garage in the morning and see if you can borrow their tool for an hour or so.

does the haynes not recommend a substitute? or was the in gear hold brakes it?

chris
Haynes make use of one of their fantastic DIY tools.

I had spotted the above tool on that exact website earlier and can NOT beleive the price of it, how can that be justified?? I could go and buy some scrap metal, and a power drill, and the bolts etc etc and make my own for MUCH less than that. Shocking

I was going to see if I could pick up one of these at my local Camberley autos:

www.toolsinstock.com/index.php?act=viewProd&produc...6

says it's for the cams but can't see why you wouldnt be able to use on the crank pulley also.

Anyway, heading out, cheers for the help guys. Glad I didnt try that starter motor method :) hehe

Kev