General - sniff test how much is the gear? - piston power
When testing if the head gasket has gone a garage sniffs the coolant what are those crystals?

Where do you get the kit from? all i have is a old pressure tester sykes pic which does not fit most modern car's.

Any idea of cost?

This is not for a ferrari i had to put some details in to get on!!!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/02/2008 at 21:49

sniff test how much is the gear? - topbloke
partco used to sell them they used to supply the aa with a kit and the fluid not seen the crystalls that you descibe but its the same principle
sniff test how much is the gear? - Bill Black
Crystals? Kit? Removing the radiator cap and just sniffing the coolant for exhaust gasses always used to be the standard test for a leaky head gasket on any motor, or have I missed something here ?
Cheers, Bill
sniff test how much is the gear? - thomp1983
the op is refering to a kit you can buy which is held over the coolant tank and the liquid in it changes color if hydrocarbons are present, unfortunately ive never seen these kits for sale and assumed they were a trade only item

chris
sniff test how much is the gear? - piston power
So it's a liquid not crystals ok thats getting me somewhere, i can ask around at my local motor factors.

Im sure they will sell it, if i find a price i'll post it back..
sniff test how much is the gear? - Screwloose

Try a Snap-on van.
sniff test how much is the gear? - thomp1983
there we go, just took a bit of thinking what to search for, tinyurl.com/2spd4v

chris
sniff test how much is the gear? - piston power
Thanks thomp 1983, thats great & im sure a little cheaper than the snap on equivilant, cheers chris..
General - sniff test how much is the gear? - MW
Any decent MOT place could just stick the exhaust analyser in the coolant bottle and get a result or not. Likely to be very acccurate as the machine costs several thousand pounds, and take 4 mins.