03 1.9DcI worrying warning light - french derek
Living in France, I bought my Grand Scenic in Nov 03. Now nearing 90000km (about 55000 m). After relatively few problems before, I'm now having a curious problem.

This happens when the engine is at normal running temperature, and I've been cruising for a while (eg on a longish dual carriageway). When I come to, say, a roundabout, slow down, then accelerate hard out of the junction, I get a warning beep. The STOP light shows on the dash then goes off as quickly as it came on.

First couple of times this happened I stopped, looked and listened for telltale signs and, when found nothing, drove on again. The local Renault garage is very helpful normally but not on this. It may be linked (or not) but I had new injectors about 5000 km ago.

Has anyone else had this - if so, solutions, please. If not, any ideas for me to offer on to the garage (my technical French is getting better than my conversational with things like this!)?

Edited by Pugugly on 05/09/2008 at 19:20

2003 1.9DcI Grand Scenic worrying warning - Screwloose

Checked the brake fluid level?
2003 1.9DcI Grand Scenic worrying warning - Collos25
Or washer fluid level.
2003 1.9DcI Grand Scenic worrying warning - french derek
Again, a great idea, Andy. When I checked this morning the water level was pretty low, so topped it up with washer fluid & water.

Didn't really go anywhere where I could really put it to the test this afternoon, tho my wife says there were a couple of occasions when she expected it to bleep. Silent journey, there and back!

Could be it? Let you know.

And thanks again both.
Disappointment and frustration!

For three whole days no bleeps, then today it happened agian. I slowed right down for a tricky speed-hump, then put my foot down (in second), as I left the village: straight away "bleep". No time to glance at the dashboard, cos it was such a short bleep.

So, back to square one. Any further ideas anyone, please?
Update Weds 19/08. Yesterday, for the first time, I had a message on the dashboard display - Braking system failure. So, straight to the garage today. Note, though, that the warning only trips when I accelerate hard from a slow-down (and especially when I am turning to the left). But then it doesn't happen every time I do this!

Full visual check underneath revealed absolutely nothing. Fluid level OK. Car now booked in for next week, for in-depth scrutiny. My bet is on an intermittent contact fault.

The garage folks are now as frustrated as me and want to find the cause of the problem. Maybe they feel that they (as a smallish Renault agency) can make a mark for themselves by finding a reportable fault?
2003 1.9DcI Grand Scenic worrying warning - erobin
Hi Derek,

I too had a problem recently with my 2004 Grand Scenic - it would beep usually within a few seconds of me starting the engine and the whole dahsboard would black out and come back on with a weird warning - Tyre Pressure Sensor warning - and the clock and
tripometer would have reset itself. This continued for a few weeks until Tuesday it beeped and did not come back on again so it is undriveable. Renault say it is the instrument cluster which costs £340 plus an hours labour plus vat so about £500. They say this is a common problem and i have contacted Renault direct to see if they will contribute as mine is only a few months out of warranty so fingers crossed, but as everything i am finding with Renault, the car is cheap to buy but spends a lot of time at the garage!
2003 1.9DcI Grand Scenic worrying warning - DP
>>. Renault say it is
the instrument cluster which costs £340 plus an hours labour plus vat so about £500.

Or fifty quid from a breaker and an hour of your time if Renault won't play ball. The Haynes manual tells you how to remove and refit the panel.

Not excusing the fault of course, but £500 to replace an instrument panel is just obscene unless someone else is picking up the tab.

Renault customer services were great with us over our just out of warranty window fault. Hopefully you'll get the same treatment.

Cheers
DP

2003 1.9DcI Grand Scenic worrying warning - erobin
Thanks DP - i'm trying to locate one if they wont play ball - is it easy to change?

Like you say, it is obscene especially as i bought this car as a cheaper option which it is not if it spends any more time in the garage!

I've never done it, but it doesn't look too bad from the manual. It's certainly not a dash out job or anything like that.

I would just check before you do it that it's not programmed to the car or anything daft like that. It shouldn't be, but you never know with modern cars, and not just Renaults either. Volvo are terrible for it.

In fairness, the Haynes manual mentions reprogramming is needed when telling you how to remove and refit a lot of items, but not when describing removing the dash panel, so you should be OK. I would still try and find out from someone who knows for sure first.

There's one on Ebay at the moment - item no 230235431927. Untested, but with a 100% feedback seller.

Cheers
DP
Sorry for the delay in replying; but thanks for the tip, Screwloose. A good idea!

I went to the garage yesterday for a headlamp bulb change (I'm no contortionist!). While I was there I asked them to check all fluid levels - nothing amiss. They hooked it up to the computer while I was in - nothing.

One fluid level I didn't think (nor did the garage) to check though - windscreen washer! See next post & reply ......
2003 1.9DcI Grand Scenic worrying warning - Galad
>The garage folks are now as frustrated as me and want to find the cause of the problem. Maybe they feel that they (as a smallish Renault agency) can make a mark for themselves by finding a reportable fault?>

Yes, French electronics will be the fault - a terminal fault according to my BiL and FiL, both of whom will never, ever buy Renault again.
2003 1.9DcI Grand Scenic worrying warning - Whisky
Sounds like it may be the ABS sensor, my mate's did a very similar thing when he went round lefthand corners, turned out to be the sensor after it was back and forth to the garage for weeks.
2003 1.9DcI Grand Scenic worrying warning - Galaxian
A Scenic that my mother has would not start after being trouble free for a few years.

The problem was finally diagnosed as loose wiring that had eventually worn away the insulation causing a short. That was a sudden failure, so probably doesn't sound like the kind of thing that would cause your problem.

I'm also one of those never a Renault again people I'm afraid!

I did have a Citroen BX with a leak in its 'green-blood' hydraulics system and when the level was getting close to the sensor limit, the STOP light would flicker occasionally.

Hope you get the problem fixed - I know these things can be very annoying ... and relax :-)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/03/2008 at 12:09

Sorry for the delay in responding, whisky. This sounds a helpful tip. The garage have the car right now - so I'll give them a ring (if I can rmeber what ABS is in French!).

Will let you know.
Finally (they say) it's fixed! I've given it a short trial (all OK) - a longer one will follow soon.

I suspect that Whisky's advice, which I passed on, provided the clue - even tho this wasn't the cause. It turned out to be an electrical connection to one of the brake discs sensors (?) that, when I put it under tension (ie my style of driving, obviously!) then electrical contact was broken. Immediately the tension was released, the connection was re-established and all was well. That's what I understood him to be saying (everyone wrongly assumes I'm fluent in French, even in technical terms).

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their suggestions and advice.

Can I just add, that my 90,000 km, in France, Spain and the UK, has incuded moutain tracks, country roads and autoroutes. We've been 7-up with luggage, and several times 6-up on skiing trips. It seems I tend to "push" my cars a bit .. :-0 ... but I've only needed normal services, tyre changes etc up to now. I just hope it's not the start of a problem cycle.

Off to Spain tomorrow!
Mine's just done this coming home tonight. Slung it into a mini roundabout at a reasonable lick, and heard a loud BEEP BEEP, and caught something red out of the corner of my eye (I presume the STOP light). By the time I'd looked down, it had gone out and was fine for the remainder of the journey.

Has yours been fine since these sensor connections were checked? It's due a service next month, so I might entrust this one to my (usually excellent) dealer, but it would be good to have a pointer.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 18/07/2008 at 20:11

2003 1.9DcI Grand Scenic worrying warning - wicksy
My 2006 2.0 tvvti (165bhp) model is doing the same.

It seems to be a common fault on the Grand Scenic. I was told at my last service that the brake discs and pads at the front would be due for a change in a few thousand miles, so I was wondering if that would cause the fault.

Does anyone know how easy it is to change the front discs, as in, are there any special tools needed to remove the caliper, as I presume the caliper has to be removed to fit the disc. On my punto the front of the caliper is all you have to remove and you get access to the disc.
According to the Haynes manual, these are prone to flipping the master cylinder seals if you force the brake fluid back the wrong way. They recommend opening the bleed nipple as you push the piston back in.

Other than that, it looks like the standard single piston slide caliper fitted to the vast majority of other cars on the road today. Two bolts to remove the caliper, and another two to remove the mounting bracket, if you so choose.

My pads are due at the next service as well.

Cheers
DP

03 1.9DcI Grand Scenic worrying warning light - scenicmadness
hi we have a 1.6VVT 2005 petrol model. we have just noticed a similar problem to you. ours would make a beep the red stop sign would come on and then dissapear. its only recently that we noticed a message saying braking fault!!!! ours also seems to do it on left hand turns sudden acceleration from slowing at roundabouts etc. car has been in to garage twice and didnt make the beep how irritating. may contact them and get them to check abs as stated from one of your comments. seems to me we drive the same lol.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/09/2008 at 14:48

03 1.9DcI Grand Scenic worrying warning light - Screwloose
madness

I hope that your garage checked the brake fluid level really carefully?
i hope they did too. they told me that there is a modification for our rear brakes too because ours makes some rather loud groans when doing slow reverse manouvers. our car has just slipped out of its 3 yr warranty but we have an extended warranty that they say doesnt cover it been in touch with renault uk today to see if they will pay fingers crossed.
03 1.9DcI Grand Scenic worrying warning light - DP
I'm assuming ours was brake fluid level related. Very worn pads and discs meant the level was at (but not below) minimum in the reservoir. The level was topped up when the new brakes were fitted, and the problem has not reoccurred. User error (in my case), I'm hoping.
03 1.9DcI Grand Scenic worrying warning light - Screwloose
madness

99 times out of a hundred; those warning light symptoms are low brake fluid.

Your handbook should tell you how to check/top it up.
thanks screwloose will get hubby 2 check later :-p
03 1.9DcI Grand Scenic worrying warning light - DP
The reservoir is well buried - you need to take the battery cover off or have a darn good torch to see the level! Daft bit of design!
he will find it im sure. car had service last year its just ticked over 26,000 miles we have had no end of probs with this car this is the latest thing to happen
03 1.9DcI Grand Scenic worrying warning light - Mr Em

Hi

I have had the same issue with the instrument panel. First noticed it beeping and resetting when going over speed bumps. This went on and off for a few days, not other warning lights or messages. Then the panel went dead.

Just to be clear... the threads here indicate that the issue is likely to be with the brake pads / discs / fluid.... For those that had problems with the braking system, did fixes to it also fix the instrument panel or was a new panel also required? It is not clear from the posts.
03 1.9DcI Grand Scenic worrying warning light - Altea Ego
Your dead instrument panel is NOT due to pads/disk/fluid. That brings on a brake warning light and beep.

your dead panel may require a new one.