1998 1.3 - Engine trouble - nicklfc8
1242cc 16v
1998/R reg

Hi,

My engine had seized up so I bought another one (exactly the same even down to the year of manufacture) and fitted it.

Upon attempting to start the car it is cranking but not firing.

This cant be an ECU problem because the engine is exactly the same as the old one even down to the year.

We have identified the most probable cause being no fuel getting to the engine, the reason being that upon disconnecting the injector pipes only minimal fuel drips out where it should be considerably greater, somewhat squirting out.

I have checked for a spark and there is one, the spark plugs aren't even getting wet when the fuel pump activates. It appears that there is minimal fuel pressure building up but the fuel pump is operational!

Can anyone help me out please?

Cheers

(someone else who hasn't managed to grasp that they should put the year & engine details in the subject header)

Edited by Webmaster on 22/02/2008 at 17:06

Engine trouble - Screwloose
nick

Something's not making sense here. Can you hear the fuel pump running? What happened to the old unit and could there have been a fuel issue involved? There have been cases of split components inside the tank, but I can't see that happening while parked.

Have you got the fuel feed and return pipes mixed up?
Engine trouble - nicklfc8
The old unit was siezed. The fuel pump can be heard running upon turning on the ignition and I dont think that the fuel pipes are mixed up because they're colour coded, red and white.

Is there anything else that could be preventing it from firing?

Cheers
Engine trouble - DP
Really really stupid question: There is fuel in the tank, right?

I'm not being facetious - I've done far worse.

Cheers
DP
Engine trouble - nicklfc8
Yea theres plenty of fuel in the tank.
3 quarters full it is.