02 2.0TDi fuel injector pump / control unit faulty - anotherjohn
2002 Zafira 2.0 dti - vauxhall have diagnosed main fuel injector pump / control unit needs replacing. Is there any alternative to using vauxhall main dealer for this? can find supplier of replacement unit but local garage advises could fit but would need vauxhall official dealer to programme the unit and probably the immobiliser also. Is this the case? if so then it would appear that Vauxhall have an unfair monopoly and can pretty well charge what they want for replacement unit and labour. As refurbished units are available to purchase then is there any benefit in having the existing unit removed & refurbished as this would suggest to me no need to programme. If this is a viable option then any suggestions who might undertake this task would be welcome. Many thanks, cheers John.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/02/2008 at 19:17

02 2.0TDi fuel injector pump / control unit faulty - Screwloose
John

What's the story/codes etc.? Why pump and ECU - and which ECU? The main one or the high-voltage unit bolted to the pump - that cracks solder-joints?

On many of these; the pump isn't immobilizer coded; just the main ECU. [TB will know for certain on that.]
my original posting was - Have a 2002 Zafira 2.0dti manual gearbox with a warning light, symptoms being loss of acceleration in all gears and maximum speed in 5th being just under 70mph - the symptoms are constant. Had independent diagnostic check with following fault codes reported (PO606-PCM processor fault) and (PO704-clutch switch input circuit fault). Had a second independent diagnostic check but they could not pin down the fault and referred me to Vauxhall who did not give me the codes just their diagnosis that I needed a main fuel injector pump / control unit which is combined. Sought help from an independent garage as Vauxhall have quoted me £1680+vat for the part & £375+vat for labour which equates to about half the value of the car. Cheers, another-feeling rather sick-john

It's always better to continue an existing thread.

What has P0606 got to do with a pump? That's for the main ECU, not the pump-mounted one? P1631/51 is the code you don't want to see when the pump goes.

Send your main ECU for testing.
hi Screwloose, many thanks for your time & trouble in replying. I did not get any responses to my original query when reporting the PO606 code hence the "new" posting about the replacement pump/control unit. I am a little confused now as the independent diagnostic check showed code PO606 and, as you rightly state, the guy told me it was the ECU. Unfortunately this was all the info both he and a subsequent independent could give me as I was told it needed Vauxhall kit to narrow it down further. Hence I have gone from suspecting it was a fault with the ECU to Vauxhall telling me it is the fuel injector pump/control unit needs replacing and charging me £60 for the good news. I am now at a loss as to where, or to whom, I should go from here as I am completely out of my depth here. regards John

You actually got much the same advice on your original thread. Getting the ECU tested to confirm that P0606 code is the first step.
hello again Screwloose, here is the official Vauxhall version having told them the findings of the independent diagnostic check. quote Vehicle requires dealer attention if EML light is on constantly. PO606 has three different variants and fault descriptions. PO704 can sometimes be set if foot is rested on clutch pedal or a faulty switch depending if code is present, if foot is rested on pedal and switch changes to active status on acceleration then power will be reduced, book vehicle in for diagnosis unquote. Subsequent to Vauxhall diagnostic check then no mention of testing the ECU just straight into replace fuel injector pump/control unit. Should I challenge the Vauxhall diagnosis or should I assume from this that the ECU has been eliminated by them as a possible source of the fault?
Thanks for your continued interest and advice, regards John
John

Yes; Vauxhall, in their wisdom, use sub-codes to add extra info to the standard EOBD code. [Thus negating the whole point of standard codes.....] and yes; "clutch pressed" will limit the revs.

Dealers never think of testing or ECU repairs - just fit a new one and see if that works. [You'll be paying for it even if it doesn't....]

Once again - get that ECU tested.
good evening Screwloose. You are obviously very knowledgeable and I appreciate the time that you have graciously spent on my problem and will try not to hog much more of it. I certainly understand where you are coming from on this one and, if it is the ECU, then that would certainly be the cheapest option. You have got me thinking that if I had gone along with Vauxhall's suggested "fix" at an estimated cost of 2500 quid incl labour & vat and it did not resolve the issue whether they would admit to it or just try to conjure up a second fault, i.e the ECU, and charge me for that as well. The ECU doctor (found online) cannot help me with this particular ECU so have you any suggestions of where to go with this please, do I just need to supply the history of the fault or is there any additional info that may help. Also, are we talking about a single ECU on this machine or is there more than one? As I am not competent enough myself to remove the ECU then any guidance would be welcome to pass on to my local independent who is keen to help.
Am I working on the basis that I send the existing ECU away, have it tested, repaired if necessary and returned or purchasing a replacement? If purchasing a replacement then are we not back to the old chestnut of the Vauxhall dealer needing to programme it?
(I am in the northwest of England, Lancashire, by the way).

I'm a bit surprised that the ECU doctor can't help...?

I've been working on the assumption that this was a PSG5 set-up; but that new fact may suggest it's a later [Vectra-C type] PSG16 coded CAN unit? I wouldn't have expected one of those on an '02 plate Zafira; but, without the car in front of me, I can't rule it out.

If that is a PSG16 pump; then the dealers have got you, as new pump/ECU assemblies are only supplied blank and uncoded to stop anyone but the dealers fitting them. They have to have the operating software downloaded online and then be coded-in to the CAN network - and that is very much dealer-only.

Looks like you'll be needing that mortgage.
okay my friend, will investigate further & try to establish just what pump I have in there. I really appreciate your help and am very grateful for all your input, will post any developments, all the jolly for now, regards John.
02 2.0TDi fuel injector pump / control unit faulty - stee hall

did you get the issue fixed if so what was the outcome, i have a similar problem on an 04 plate zafira

02 2.0TDi fuel injector pump / control unit faulty - cjnothy

hi mate ive got same problem but i got the p1631/51 codes !!!!

is this a bad thing ? can i get a second had pump and just fit or will i have to go vauxhall ?

any help would b great

02 2.0TDi fuel injector pump / control unit faulty - injection doc

these pumps , when the ECU is mounted on the pump suffers with the vibration casuing soldered joints to fall apart. I have in the past removed these ECU's of the pump and touched the joints with a very small soldering iron with 99% success

02 2.0TDi fuel injector pump / control unit faulty - cjnothy

thanks 4 that mate , what if that done work ? am i able 2 replace the pump/pump ecu with a second hand unit ?

02 2.0TDi fuel injector pump / control unit faulty - lauraemullen
Hi there i hope u get this. Ive noticed its been a long time since u been on here. Can i ask what u did with the car as i have bought 1 that has the EXACT same problems. Did u get it fixed or did u sell it for scrap. Im in lancashire and bought it from some1 in wigan. I hope u get this
Thanks
Laura