Replacement needed after write off - ph
Hi

After 7 trouble free years my Corolla has been written off. The other party has admitted full liability so no claims etc. will not be affected. I have several problems though. 1. The settlement figure does not seem high enough to buy a similar car, this is after I have looked at local adverts (none found), local garage (older version found in similar condition, smaller engine, non metallic but £600 more than settlement figure) and autotrader (none found within 50 miles with full service history). What can I do about this? 2. I have read HJ's review of the 2000 - 2002 Corolla with some alarm about the oil consumption of the 1.6 VVTi. I would love a replacement Toyota but not if it is not as reliable as my previous model. Does the 1.4VVTi suffer in the same way? 3. I have found ex local authority fleet 2002 Ford Focuses on Autotrader, based in the West Midlands for £2000. They've done 100k but have new tyres and are promised to have a superior maintenance schedule and 12 months MOT. Should I be interested in these or can they be a problem?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Paul Hanson
Replacement needed after write off - Rhubarb
Hi Paul

Is your Corolla badly damaged or does it just have minor damage that is "beyond economical repair". If it has only minor damage it might be worth looking at buying the car back from the insurers and using money from the settlement to have the car repaired. That way you would have a car you know and seem to be quite happy with.

Andy

Edited by Rhubarb on 17/02/2008 at 13:25

Replacement needed after write off - nick
Gather evidence of what it would cost to buy a similar car to yours from adverts etc. and present this to the assessor/insurance company. Argue you case. They're likely to offer more. Treat it like any bargaining situation.
Replacement needed after write off - GroovyMucker
Could you be persuaded to an Avensis? You should get one of the new shape (shortly to be replaced) for under 5,000 iron men.
I might have a look at the Avensis. Thanks for the tip.
Thanks for the idea. The garage said that if I sourced some second hand doors it would cost around £2000+ so I'm not too sure about this approach.
Replacement needed after write off - Pendlebury
I have been critical of our 1.4vvti Corolla - mainly around rattles and a couple of recalls etc (I was expecting complete trouble free motoring so I felt let down after the recalls), but I have to say that it seems to have settled into being a very good car. The rattles have disappeared (I have been monitoring them for a couple of months now). The paint work is very good still (5 years old so not that old I know), it's turned into one of those cars that just carries on doing what it should do without fuss. It has never actually failed anything mechanical or electrical in the 5 years (and this is not one of those posts that state it has been completely reliable except for about.... 10 issues) - the worst that has happened is a split rear wiper. The dealers have always tried to be helpful and it has maintained it's value better than I thought it would.
When I look at how SWMBO and the kids totally abuse it (she uses the clutch and brakes like they are an on/off switch) then I realise what a strong car these are.
I am told as well that the oil problem does not affect 1.4 engines.
I am actually now thinking of an Auris based on this experience.
(I am eating humble pie here - based on my previous posts about this car but I have to be honest and say that it has proved me wrong).
Replacement needed after write off - debonairzummerzetmillionaire
My Corolla 1.4 VVTi (2000) is relatively reliable but uses a lot of oil. It started about 18 months ago. Given the opportunity again, I'd probably invest my money in one of two ways: Mazda 323 or Honda Civic. My Father-in-law's Avensis has also had a new engine owing to oil consumption, as has one of our neighbours. He now drives a new Civic.
Replacement needed after write off - pne
wish i had seen this earlier look at automart my corrolla 1.4 has 6 pictures to view fantastic clean car with only 25432 miles on it.
Replacement needed after write off - rtj70
You have just replied to a thread for someone wanting a replacement car from February 2008. I think they may have found something by now.

Your other thread should also be in the for Classified part of the forum. Consider it moved.

Rob, Moderator>