2001 1.8 Zetec - scatty thermometer - Boggy
Is the thermometer sensor mounted anywhere near the radiator by any chance? On returning to the car after parking up on a cold day, the digital thermometer under the rev counter says it's in the high teens outside when I'm scraping ice off the windows! Upon driving off it soon drops again but it's very strange. I can only assume that wind blowing through the front of the car is blowing warmth from the radiator water onto the sensor. Picked the in-laws up from a bitterly cold railway station in December and it was "apparently" 26 degrees outside! Anyone else experienced this? And no, it's definitely set to celcius not farenheit.....
2001 1.8 Zetec - scatty thermometer - bathtub tom
Yeah, my Almera does this. I've identified what I think is the sensor, high up, in front of the radiators, where it's in the airflow, but will suffer from convection from the radiators when the car's stationary.

Don't let anyone tell you it's affected by wind-chill!
2001 1.8 Zetec - scatty thermometer - elekie&a/c doctor
The outside temp sensor is clipped into the front chassis member behind the front bumper below the r/h headlight.It is possiible that at some point it has become detached and been pushed up into the engine bay and not secured properly.The temp sensor on my Mondeo appears to be fairly accurate.hth
2001 1.8 Zetec - scatty thermometer - Galad
The readout on my 1996 Astra regularly hit 65c......in winter. Now that what's I call global warming.