2004 130 TDi - Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - mondy2004
HELP

Last night my wife bought my car home, Mondeo 2004 130 tdci, says shes has filled it ip and it semed cheaper than usual, she filled it up with Petrol and its a diesel car!

I could get the tank drained by a local dealer, but have been handy with cars for many years and hve equipment to stay safe and store the drained fuel.The question is how to drain it out.

I dont thnk i can syphine (not sure thats how you spell it) as from my experiance newer cars will have some form of flap or mesh stopping this, but please say if not.

The other option is to discnnect the line someshere there is a clip underneath (yes i have just beenunderneat, neigbors think i am mad!) as the pipe comes out of the fuel tank I think, does this come apart?

I could disconnect at the injector and run pump but think I will damage the pump.

Or could there simply be a drain plug (i doubt it these days but have a little hope)

Any thoughts, advice welcome about the car, the wife, well i have to use her car tomorrow! she can use the bus

Thanks all

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/01/2008 at 21:16

Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - spikeyhead {p}
You're right about the potential for pump damage, indeed some may have already been done in driving it.

I'm sure someone else will suggest the best way of draining it but you'll also need to change the fuel filter. Fill it up with diesel, don't let the pump try and prime the system or it'll be running without the fuel that it uses for lubrication.
Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - cheddar
How many miles has she done after filling with petrol and how much was in the tank before the petrol was added?

A tow to a dealer, drain the tank, change the filter and prime the pump would be safest a new pump is ££££s.
Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - mondy2004
Hi in response the tank was nearly empty held 69 litres! she has done about 5 miles, still running fine when she got back, and only realised when she checked receipt!

Edited by mondy2004 on 17/01/2008 at 20:58

Do how much diesel was in it before she added the petrol?

And how much petrol was added?

So we can understand the diesel to petrol ratio.
sorry bit behind amended post 69 litres went in, not good.... so ratio of about 69-1!
OK it is nearly all petrol.

Edited by cheddar on 17/01/2008 at 21:05

Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - gordonbennet
You can syphon mondeo, you'll need a very long pipe, something like 5 metres cos you'll have 3 metres at least in the car.

Go to a hose supplier and get some 'low pressure air line' , its clear plastic with rienforcing webbing criss crossed throughout, cut the end of the pipe at a 45 degree angle with the curve, not against it. This most important, as when the pipe is going down the filler tube this angle will help the pipe find its way.

When you put the pipe in, it will go down a very long way and then you will meet a stiffish resistance, this is where the pipe enters the tank, push the pipe about another 12" and you'll be right at the bottom.

You'll be able to get every thing apart form the last half gallon, with a bit of wiggling and lots of cursing, and for heavens sake, dont drink the stuff.

I know you can do these fairly easily, as had to help a mate drain his.

Hop all goes ok and no lasting damage.

Good luck.
Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - corblimeyguvnar
This isnt going to help much and is a tad late but this is the very reason that 'er indoors is banned from fueling any vehicle!

CBG
she did pay and it was about 1.30 in the morning! Banning could be the answer though! and I'm having to use the bus tomorrow as she needs the car
OK it is nearly all petrol, I would get it towed to the dealer, get them to drain it, fit a new filter and prime the pump, then fingers crossed, 5 miles is perhaps 1 ltr, the fuel system inc filter will hold nearly that so you should be OK. A few miles only with the high pressure pump pumping neat petrol and it could be shot.

Edited by cheddar on 17/01/2008 at 21:08

Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - scouseford
she did pay and it was about 1.30 in the morning! Banning could be the
answer though! and I'm having to use the bus tomorrow as she needs the car

>
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES MUST SHE DRIVE THE CAR TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!>
Sorry forgot to say, you want half inch internal diameter pipe, same as hose pipe.

Found that garden hose is too soft and gets kinked on the way down.
Pushing a tube down the filler, it could easily bend back on itself.

Its a newish car with the possibility of expensive damage, leave it to the pros, and DONT START IT until you know it has been drained, the filter changed and the pump vacuum primed thus sucking any residue petrol through the lines.
Pushing a tube down the filler it could easily bend back on itself.

Thats why he needs the pipe i suggested because it will not kink.

Apart from that the chap probably wants to use that petrol in another motor, cos where do you think the experts are going to put the drainings once they realise its about 95% petrol?

You are quite right about the filter though and draining out the fuel lines before restart.
Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - Dynamic Dave
If the tank was nearly empty, and it now holds mostly petrol, then surely the engine wouldn't run.

Are you sure it's not just a mistake on the till receipt? I've had this before, told the person behind the counter which pump I've used, they in turn press the wrong button and before you know it I've been charged for £20 for diesel where in fact I'd actually put in £30 worth of petrol. Not my fault if they've pressed the wrong button and undercharged me. If however it was the other way around I would soon be mentioning it to them.
Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - Pugugly {P}
sniff test ?
Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - Bromptonaut
Like PU says!!
If the tank was nearly empty and it now holds mostly petrol then surely the
engine wouldn't run.
Are you sure it's not just a mistake on the till receipt?

SNIPQUOTE!

interesting thought will check that out about th receipt did not even think about that.

Re the petrol, i'm guessing there was enough in the line to get her home have not started her since

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/01/2008 at 01:16

Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - Screwloose

Frankly; I don't like the idea of trying to syphon 69 ltrs of unleaded out of a car.

What are you going to put it into? Your house insurance [and the law] only covers the domestic storage of 10 ltrs in total - in approved cans.

You won't get all of it out with a syphon and these are sensitive to even a trace of petrol in the fuel - although the damage is almost certainly done already.

Take it to a garage with fuel recovery facilities; the tank has to come out on these and the fire risk isn't negligible - an exploding tank has killed many mechanics.
>>although the damage is almost certainly done already.>>

Perhaps not if it literaly has only done 5 miles, I said it would be a litre though in fact at 45mpg it would be nearer 1/2 litre (500ml), the fuel filter must hold 300ml so there is every chance the petrol has not reached the pump.

Edited by cheddar on 17/01/2008 at 21:36

Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - Aprilia
Undo cap and smell.

If it really is petrol then this has to be trailered away - drain, flush etc and then fingers crossed (or p/x it depending on your nervousness).
Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - nortones2
The risk of spilling the petrol, presence of static or other ignition sources, and vapour fires are enough to make this a job ONLY for someone with the right kit. As Screwloose says.
Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - mfarrow
Ford recommend a 12.5mm hose and 40mm length taper at the end.

The fuel lines are likely to be quick-release (read difficult to figure out slow release) but if you come across one that's got a clip over it don't touch it.
Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - paulb {P}
69 litres in a Mondeo III? Tank size on both estate and hatch (and presumably the saloon too) is 58.5 litres. I'm going with the "cashier pressed wrong button" theory.

Irrespective of that I don't see how it would have even run with that much petrol in it.

Open the fuel filler and have a good sniff, I should, before doing expensive things involving drainage.
Yes, could have been charged for someone elses petrol though why would the wife say it was cheaper than normal unless she meant cheaper per litre.

Perhaps there is a use for the syphon tube, syphon out a litre or so and see if it is petrol or diesel.

You might be lucky and it is diesel afterall!

Though if it it petrol get it done properly ideally by a Ford dealer where they clearly knoe the implications of the pump running in petrol and even them emphasise that you dont want it started until fresh diesel has ben vacuum pumped through the pump.
Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - Peter D
Yep good sniff test required as this car would not run on that rationfor more then 200 metres. But until you are sure do NOT run that engine. Regards Peter
2004 130 TDi - Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - injection doc
can't belive that would of driven home on petrol. My peuguot 406 got 500 yrds from a petrol station & stopped ! when i had filled it with petrol instead of diesel .
If its petrol take to a garage.
Doc
2004 130 TDi - Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - Alby Back
You can't get 69 litres in a Mondeo. Wrong receipt I'll bet. Get it checked though, why not phone garage and ask them if they had anyone else query their bill or the till didn't balance for example. Do they have cctv ?
2004 130 TDi - Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - drivewell
Have an '05 plate 130 bhp TDCI (hatch). Can say from experience that even with trip computer showing '0' miles until empty (and showing that for up to 10 miles), it can still only take 61, maybe 62 litres, and that is by taking for ever to fill it to the brim.

69 litres really sounds like the wrong receipt / pump.
2004 130 TDi - Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - rtj70
drivewell

You are overfilling your Mondeo if you can get upto 62 litres in a 58.5 litre tank. Motorcyclists might be in danger from your tank spilling the excess. And spilling it from the filler neck is wasting you money - but could kill someone.

2004 130 TDi - Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - drivewell
drivewell

>>You are overfilling your Mondeo if you can get upto 62 litres in a 58.5 litre tank. Motorcyclists might be in danger from your tank spilling the excess. And spilling it from the filler neck is wasting you money - but could kill someone. >>

Hi, RTJ. Understand your concerns. I ride bicycles (fast), and also have a full bike licence, and would not do something that would risk lives of other bike riders, whether motorised or pedal-powered. Agree with you that the tank has a notional capacity of 58.5 litres. Fact is the vent system will not allow fuel to escape, provided the cap is firmly on. If I thought there was any danger of me leaking diesel onto the road, then I simply would not fill it to the brim.
The tank has a capacity of 58.5 litres so you are also filling (avoiding the pump cutting out) the pipe from the filler cap to tank. I personally don't understand why someone would do that. The diesel Mondeo goes quite far before the fuel light comes on ;-) And you'd have to have the pump going slow to not have it cut out and risk having diesel down the side of your car and over your shoes.

But I accept you know it will not leak so fair enough. You still couldn't get 69 litres in though. You'd have shoes smelling of diesel/petrol ;-)
The Mondeo definately has a 58.5 litre tank. If the receipt says 69 litres then it's not in this car! In fact few cars have tanks that big. I know quattro Audi's have about 80 litre tanks because it "balances" out over the 4x4 system. A FWD Audi A6 has a smaller tank than a 4x4 Audi A6.

So this could be a mistake at the garage. It happened to me once. Someone paid for my petrol and then I kicked up a fuss about paying for theirs as it was for more. Sorted out in the end.

Or it could be petrol (but not 69 litres) and as cheddar says you COULD be lucky there was fuel in the filter/pump/etc to get 5 miles. But with petrol being thinner and lighter and diesel I kind of doubt that.

Lets all hope you're unlucky in paying for 69 litres of someone elses petrol ;-)
2004 130 TDi - Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - oilrag
SWMBO came home after refuelling her diesel with a receipt that showed Petrol and Diesel from pumps 2 and 6 . (despite only fuelling with diesel on pump 6)
although she was only charged for the diesel.

Just shows though, that a receipt can show the wrong fuel.
Does the receipt match the pump she filled up at?

regards
2004 130 TDi - Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - madf
I'm sorry BUT if it was petrol, whether the lines were full of diesel or not is irrelevant.
The fuel system circulates unused fuel back tto the fuel tank so after 30 seconds of running the car would be on a diesel/petrol mix. If it was 69 litres or 49 or 39 ny now the engine would have died.

So 99% certain it's a wrong bill. (or a very very tough pump and engine!)
I'm sorry BUT if it was petrol whether the lines were full of diesel or
not is irrelevant.
The fuel system circulates unused fuel back tto the fuel tank so after 30 seconds
of running the car would be on a diesel/petrol mix. If it was 69 litres
or 49 or 39 ny now the engine would have died.
So 99% certain it's a wrong bill. (or a very very tough pump and engine!)

Got back from work, bus was hell!

Sniff test - this is def petrol, i even put a long piece of thick string down removed, and well away from everythng i have done a flamable test and it exploded, so it is petrol.

I have looked at the receipt again my mistake it was 59 litres not 69 apologies, I know it was very empty as it had done more than 600 miles since saturday.

If it should have conked out after a few hundred yards, then somthing is odd as it got home and it is at least 5 miles, (drive it most days). I suggest the fuel filter or lines hold enough petrol to run it at 45 mpg, then to do 4/5 miles you would need 10% of a gallon which would be (maths not my strong point) about half a litre.

AA tell me they will no longer drain fuel, local garage quoted hour labour and about £250 for disposal (£4 a litre) Ford garage said they would want to replace injectors, and lots of other fun things at a total cost min of £500!!

Yes the car is fairly new but has also done close of 150,000 so far so goes up by about 800 - 1000 miles a week so i will know very quickly if there is a problem with pump, injectors etc. PX not an option too many miles

Local garage said they would come back to me tomrrow and see if we can come up with a deal ie flush through from injection system back through to tank, new filter for total of £200 as they know fuel could be reused.

On price my wife though 1.03 per litre was cheap not the total, that aways frightens her ! Shame she is not so sensitive to clothes prices !!!!!!!!!

2004 130 TDi - Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - normd2
my Pug 505 diesel got 10 miles before it cut out having filled it from nearly empty with petrol. Syphoning without a pump is a very tedious business - also quite nerve-wracking and the constant exposure to the fumes isn't pleasant.
2004 130 TDi - Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - Shaz {p}
When I was a student - I mistakenly filled my Citroen AX diesel with a full tank of unleaded.
Didn't know what to do back then as it was a Sunday, so no garages open.
Used to commute for a work placement job - round trip of 90 miles, so was pretty frustrated. Tried a syphon kit but that was useless.

Took the next day off work, bought a valeting (carpet wash) vacuum cleaner hoover (£30 from argos) and 'carefully' removed the fuel, by disconnecting the fuel feed to the hand primer.

Not brightest thing to do in hindsight - but worked very well!! Still got the vacuum cleaner.

--------------------------------------------------------
04 Alfa Romeo 156 SW JTD 20v - Loving it.

Edited by Shaz {p} on 18/01/2008 at 16:58

2004 130 TDi - Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - jc2
Two items-even if it has a tank capacity of 58l.,I doubt you would get more than 54/55l. in.and it would not just run on the filter capacity of diesel,it recirculates.
2004 130 TDi - Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - injection doc
using a hoover is probably the most dangerous thing you could ever do! You were lucky it was diesel & not petrol. The fumes from fuel would of been drawn through the electric motor & sparks from brushes could of lit the fumes & you would of gone into orbit!. Draining fuel is incredibly dangerous & I wouldn't recomend anyone doing it to save a few quid.. Garages that have draining facilites have sealed tanks with anti spark systems & earths etc to prevent any risk even from static.

On you tube there is a women who filled her car up with fuel & the static from her clothes caused a spark & lit the vapours coming out the filler neck ! Caught on CCTV

DO NOT USE A HOOVER TO EMPTY FUEL TANKS PLEASE!
2004 130 TDi - Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - cheddar
J Clarkson did that in a studio in controlled circumstances, made quite bang!

Re diesel recirculating, irrespective of that the amount it would draw through the filter in 5 miles would *probably* mean that raw petrol had not got to the pump.

The injectors have clip on recirc tubes, uncliping one of these would be an easy way to see if petrol had got through.
Got back from work, bus was hell!

Sniff test - this is def petrol, i even put a long piece of thick string down removed, and well away from everythng i have done a flamable test and it exploded, so it is petrol.

I have looked at the receipt again my mistake it was 59 litres not 69 apologies, I know it was very empty as it had done more than 600 miles since saturday.

If it should have conked out after a few hundred yards, then somthing is odd as it got home and it is at least 5 miles, (drive it most days). I suggest the fuel filter or lines hold enough petrol to run it at 45 mpg, then to do 4/5 miles you would need 10% of a gallon which would be (maths not my strong point) about half a litre.

AA tell me they will no longer drain fuel, local garage quoted hour labour and about £250 for disposal (£4 a litre) Ford garage said they would want to replace injectors, and lots of other fun things at a total cost min of £500!!

Yes the car is fairly new but has also done close of 150,000 so far so goes up by about 800 - 1000 miles a week so i will know very quickly if there is a problem with pump, injectors etc. PX not an option too many miles

Local garage said they would come back to me tomrrow and see if we can come up with a deal ie flush through from injection system back through to tank, new filter for total of £200 as they know fuel could be reused.

On price my wife though 1.03 per litre was cheap not the total, that aways frightens her ! Shame she is not so sensitive to clothes prices !!!!!!!!!
2004 130 TDi - Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - Screwloose

Common-rails will not usually re-start on petrol. As this one doesn't have a tank pump, it would have started on pure DERV and only sucked petrol through once it was well off the forecourt.

Once running, even on near-pure petrol, they tend to keep running until you idle them or the pump gives up. The more knackered the HP pump, the better.

I've never seen the absolute need to fit a new filter; a flush-out and refill is usually all that's needed.
2004 130 TDi - Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - PhilW
"Local garage said they would come back to me tomorrow and see if we can come up with a deal ie flush through from injection system back through to tank, new filter for total of £200 as they know fuel could be reused."

Take their offer - the thought of you syphoning 59 litres of petrol, storing and disposing of it frightens me - we all learn from (and have to pay for) experience - your wife won't make the same mistake again! - but don't take liberties with that amount of petrol!
Good luck!

2004 130 TDi - Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - cheddar
Just make sure it is not started, even turned over on the starter until it has been flushed and the pump has diesel in it.
Got there in the end, when i removed the fuel pump it had some diesel in the outflow pipe but petrol in the inflow, lucky I would say

What you need:

Donor vehicle (my case old ford galaxy)
12 or 14mm sturdy tubing, stronger than hose
3 mm tubing
Funnel to fit 3mm tubing
Deep Breath
A liking for petrol would be good

What we did

You can get to the tank by syphoning using the 12/14mm pipe, as someone had already mentioned it does take a good 2 meters to reach properly, be careful not to damage the filler valve.

Syphone most petrol out and directly put into donor vehicle (we got out all out the tank until the miles left on the gauge had dropped to nil and stopped moving down.

Stage two, remove valves from fuel filter and blow using the 3mm tubing back through to the tank you will have to hold your fingers over the other outlets this will be hard but after a few puffs you will hear bubbling in the tank.

Top up fuel filter using funnel and keep blowing though this will clean filter and lines.

Re syphon tank into fuel container as will be well mixed.

Replace all fittings

Fill up with fresh diesel, bleed system, fingers crossed all seems to work ok, we will see if any damage to the fuel pump in due course.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 19/01/2008 at 13:52

2004 130 TDi - Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - gordonbennet
Now you've done it mondy, the doom and gloom brigade won't ever speak to you again.

Well done though, saved a good wedge and no doubt reuse the mostly petrol in due course.
2004 130 TDi - Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - DP
Glad you got it sorted. SWMBO did this in our Scenic a few months ago, but thankfully realised what she'd done before she started it, and before she'd added more than 7 litres.

Local garage drained, flushed and fitted a new filter for £125 "cash". I just don't have time to do this stuff in the week any more.

Cheers
DP
there was a comment the AA stopped draining fuel. Sure I read somewhere they were going to have vans that provide a mobile draining service. Checking... It's on their website as AA Fuel Assist. £150/170 + vat depending on membership status. Advantage is they come to you.

Edited by rtj70 on 19/01/2008 at 16:18

2004 130 TDi - Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - Pugugly {P}
There was some press coverage a couple of weeks before Christmas. The photo was of a AA pumping van "assisting" a misfuelled RAC van.
www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/news/aa-fuel-assist....l

In fact they still do and provide a competitive service even for non-members.
I thought competitive but for op probably thinking he would also lose £60 of petrol.
Agreed he was lucky enough to have a solution to the storage of £60.00 worth of petrol (and a taste for petrol !).
2004 130 TDi - Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - J1mbo
So you now have a Galaxy with a mixture of Derv and Petrol in it??
A little diesel only maybe tops 2/3 % runs fine so far
2004 130 TDi - Petrol in Diesel Car HELP - kithmo
Is that Piesel or Detrol ?
about 1 litre is diesel and 59 litres is petrol