2004 130TDI - Service Due - bhoy wonder
My car is a 54 plate Passat 130 tdi and is now due for its 30000 miles service. This is only its second service as it is on the long life service. I have had contacted various garages for quotes. The quotes are for a major service (all filters etc)

I have narrowed it down to two garages the first quote is from a main dealer that I have used in the past and is quoting £270 to do all work needed.
The second is from a reputable VW/Audi independent and he is quoting £258 for the same work and this includes an engine flush with forte motor flush treatment www.forteuk.co.uk/Advanced_formula.htm . Which the main dealer does not do. If I do not take the engine flush then the cost goes down to £220.

As there is not much difference in costs should I stay with the dealer or give the independent a try?

All the dealers and independents all had similar prices which I was surprised at. As I always thought independents would be a good bit cheaper.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/01/2008 at 00:19

Passat Service Due - rtj70
personally and I think you're thinking the same... For £50 differnce I would play safe for warranty etc and go to VW
Passat Service Due - bhoy wonder
Although the car is now out of warranty I am thinking along the lines of getting the car done by VW. So that if anything does go wrong they might give a good will gesture if I keep the car serviced by VW. But then again with VW at present I doubt it.
Passat Service Due - SuperBuyer
I don't really do main dealers (especially not at £50+ per hour) - my Golf goes to an independent (non-marque specific, £30+VAT per hour corporate rate) and for a basic longlife service its £120, and a main long life service I think was about £170, if that helps (its a 150bhp Golf Diesel)

I don't think you can say main dealer or independent as simply as that - you have to look at the garage and think who would you want to work on your car???

Mine is in having cambelt, water pump and also brakes done at the minute, and my mechanic has found that the boost pipe has failed, and asked if I want it replacing. Thats the sort of service I expect, and he even gave me a courtesty car at no cost!!
Passat Service Due - Brit_in_Germany
Does VW offer the mobility guarantee in the UK?
Passat Service Due - BobbyG
My Seat went in for its first service yesterday. On collection they advised me that a few errors had shown up on the ECU log which they had rectified and also they had done an ECU upgrade for a problem which is showing on some cars (revs dropping I think).

I had also advised that my CD player kept sticking but not immediately, usually after it had been going for 20 mins or so. They advised that they had identified this problem and ordered me a new CD player. Now whether they did let a CD play to check I don't know, but I was fully expecting a "we can't find a problem sir" but was pleasantly surprised by the lack of hassle.

Now they could be feeding me bull you know what, but with modern cars, if I was going to an independent it would be this sort of knowledge and correct diagnostic eqpt that I would be looking for them to have.

Service cost £90 which, although is dear for in effect an oil change and a hook up to a computer, the peace of mind is worth it.

Re the diagnostics, for how long will a Manufacturer realistically do "ECU upgrades" ie would you reckon by the end of its warranty period all possible errors and issues would have been diagnosed and remedied, or would there still be "fixes" being issued long after that that you might miss by going to an indie?
Passat Service Due - SuperBuyer
I think a lot of the issues surrounding ECU upgrades are dependent on the age of the model of car. Now I'm thinking of my Golf here - its the last of the Mk4, so it had been around 6 years when my car was new, so most of the upgrades/faults should have been fixed by then. However, if you have a new-to-the-market car, then the manufacturers may still be 'road-testing' them!

At least I know my indie has the diagnostic tools required - they came in useful with my Shogun as well as the Golf to diagnose the ABS fault.

Its personal preference at the end of the day!
Passat Service Due - mark
Don't know where you are based OP but this may be of use to you.

3 weeks ago I had my 2001 Passat PD100 serviced by the independant Midland VW in Cannock.

I had a full service all with filters including the pollen filter changed, the correct PD oil and a brake fluid change for £185 all in (VAT Included).

No connection to Midland but they really do seem to know their stuff with VAG products.

As always

Mark

Edited by mark on 08/01/2008 at 09:26

Just been to visit the independent garage. He walked me about the garage explained in detail exactly what the car would be getting done to it and has all the VW diagnostic equipment. He even offered, if I had the time that when my car was serviced that I could stay and watch the car serviced. He has just moved into the premises due to the volume of work that he now gets. If I book my car in today they will not be able to service the car for two weeks. Which can only be a good thing if he is that is busy. He admits that he is not the cheapest but has paid a lot of money to get all the correct equipment and good mechanics. They only use genuine VW parts.

In short felt like he wanted my business and was only to happy to explain everything in detail. Something I have never really had from the dealers even though I have tried on numerous occasions.
Passat Service Due - Sprice
So its £38 extra for some Forté engine flush? Rip off!
Having spoke to them this morning it is forte engine flush and forte diesel treatment as well. Is that still a rip off? How much does it cost to buy these products?
Passat Service Due - nortones2
Engine flush has been dealt with here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=32017

Passat Service Due - ajsdoc
My experience of VW main dealers is that it's not the price of the service that is the problem, just the £1000s of unnecessary work they recommend after it! May be I was just unlucky - my car now looked after by a good independant, wouldn't use VW main dealers again. (1st service after warranty ran out recommended over a £1000 of work (never any work recommended whilst under warranty), taken to well respected local independant - some things not needed, others done cheaper - total cost around £300)

Edited by ajsdoc on 08/01/2008 at 12:04

Passat Service Due - quizman
Now you have seen the independent you have done the right thing going there. They will do a better job than some youth at the dealer.
I am lucky to have found a very good independent in Derby. He is a German chap, his workshop is spotless and he uses all proper VW parts and oils. I have recommended him to several friends and all have been satisfied with his service.
And much cheaper than the dealers.