Windscreen chip..are repairs free? - steveo3002
got myself a 10-15mm bullseye today on the windscreen

my post office fully comp insurance just states its £60 quid for a new screen , but i seem to recall radio ads stating something like repairs are free?

is that the case...will i get a spot repair for free? do i call the insurance or just any major windscreen company?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 02/01/2008 at 22:39

windscreen chip..are repairs free? - AlastairW
Probably - check your small print.
windscreen chip..are repairs free? - Blue {P}
Just ring Autowindscreens or someone, they can check your policy to make sure that you are covered for a free repair, if you're not then they won't do it and if everything's ok they go ahead straight away and send the paperwork off for you.

windscreen chip..are repairs free? - Dynamic Dave
Just created a spoof insurance quote. Details that came back are as follows.

Windscreen cover
For a replacement windscreen/window you will have to pay the first £50 of any claim.

Repairs are free of charge with our Glass Helpline. 0800 2943234 - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

No mention of who the windscreen company is, and a google search of the number doesn't throw anything up either.
windscreen chip..are repairs free? - Ruperts Trooper
Normally, chips and other repairs are free of charge on a comprehensive policy as long as you use the insurer's nominated windscreen repairer.
windscreen chip..are repairs free? - L'escargot
....... free of charge on a comprehensive policy as long
as you use the insurer's nominated windscreen repairer.

Mine doesn't have any restrictions regarding the choice of repairer. Check your policy steveo3002.
windscreen chip..are repairs free? - L'escargot
According to Autoglass the maximum repairable size is 10 mm if it is in the zone wiped by the driver's wiper and is less than 150 mm either side of the centreline of the steering wheel. The maximum allowable repair elsewhere is 40 mm. tinyurl.com/yogd7x
windscreen chip..are repairs free? - Dipstick
There does seem to be a small excess for repairs, as opposed to replacements, creeping into some insurance policies, so you do need to check.

As always, they'll all do it in a year or three unless buyers refuse to purchase such policies now, and tell the insurance companies why.
windscreen chip..are repairs free? - Mapmaker
>>As always, they'll all do it in a year or three unless buyers refuse to purchase such policies now, and tell the insurance companies why.

Amazingly, repairing motor cars costs money. IMHO it's much fairer to charge something to the person with the damage rather than charging all of us.
windscreen chip..are repairs free? - bignick2
Have had the misfortune to require two glass replacements in the last 18 months or so - both carried out by insurance cos recommended fitter.

Fast and efficient BUT the price on the bill for replacing rear screen was over £900. I found that hard to believe so I checked,OE glass was £225. Fitting took approx 1 hr so say £100 labour. I assume the insurance co will receive a hefty discount but the starting figure seemed enormously high to me so I guess the charge was allowing for the discount.

Point is if the charges are inflated by the glass co to the insurance co and then they calculate premiums on the basis of the inflated charge who gets ripped off in the end?

All together now - the motorist!
windscreen chip..are repairs free? - bathtub tom
I've just had my renewal notice from Direct Line (it's gone up three quid), and they now charge ten quid excess for repairs.
Should I get the almost invisible chip repaired now, free, before renewal at the end of the month?
windscreen chip..are repairs free? - daveyjp
I've just had a small chip, approx 2mm across, repaired by Autoglass who had a tent in the local shopping centre car park. The repair is not invisible, but neither was the chip!

No charge to me. I carry a reduced copy of my insurance docs in my wallet so this made things easier in identifying if there was any charge on my policy.
windscreen chip..are repairs free? - Altea Ego
Its saves them money MM. A chip repair is cheap, cheaper than a new screen even with the punter paying the excess. Unless your chip is repaired quickly it has a big chance of turning into a new screen later. Therefore cheaps chips is good for us all.