idling problems - tonylds
Hi
Can anyone help with my problem please:

My 306 was stalling when I pulled up at junctions ect and I found that my idle valve was completely closed. After browsing on the net I found that this was a common problem. I could get the car working ok by physically slowly pushing the plunger slightly into the valves body (if I went to far the engine revved too high at idle. It seemed to me like the valve was not being told to move by the ECU (or it was sticking) so I bought another one. The one I bought had the same main number as mine (B32/00) but a different "A" number underneath. I was told that the B32/00 is the important one, and the other number was not as important. When I measured the resistance of the two coils, in the new one they were about 48 ohms, whereas the old one was about 52 ohms. When I changed the motor the same problem occurred, i.e if it was set to idle low, the ECU didnt correct it. It did however show some small changes in rev speed but then after about 20 seconds it just stalled. I'm now not sure if the new valve is not quite the right one, or if the problme is not the valve, but the ECU that is not driving it properly. A few more clues - Before this idling problem developed I had an intermittant jerking (and ECU light flashing on briefly) when cruising on a motorway. On a particularly long motorway journey this happened quite a lot and when we came off the Mway the stalling problem started.

From the little I know about these systems I assume that when I put the new valve in, its actual position at that point should not have mattered because the engine would initially idle at the speed determined by the position of the valve, and then the ECU would detect that the idle RPM doesn't match the programmed value and and, after a short period, it should send drive signals to the valve to correct it (which doesn't appear to be happening)

Could a Peugot expert please tell me if, from all of the above, its likely I have a sensor problem (if so which ??) , an ECU problem or if it is still likley to be the stepper motor (and the new one is actually the wrong one). I also read that disconnecting the battery to rest the ECU may help and I will try this shortly - I'm just not confidant it will help - if it does I'll report back within the hour (its now 10.15am 27/12)

Thanks for any help with this

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/12/2007 at 21:05

PEUGOT 306 idling problems - ChicksFan
Wouldn't this be better in Technical Matters?

Ron
PEUGOT 306 idling problems - Screwloose

It would help to know the engine size and year?