Door mirrors and the law? - milkyjoe
are door mirrors an option on cars or are they part of the MOT? i seem to remember years ago that we were advised to remove them from our motorcycles prior to the riding test , ive just looked in the haynes pre MOT check list and all it says is you are required to have a rear view mirror and it must be adjustable....do door mirrors if obligatory need to be adjustable? thanks.......mj

{Header changed as someone around here has a pet hate for them being called wing mirrors - no names mentioned}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/12/2007 at 19:23

wing mirrors and the law? - movilogo
AFAIK, driver's side mirror is checked on MOT.
wing mirrors and the law? - jc2
Only if fitted;cars were still being made in the mid 60's with no external mirrors.
wing mirrors and the law? - Ruperts Trooper
Currently cars are obliged to have two mirrors, one on the offside ie wing/door mirror and the other can be an internal mirror or a nearside wing/door mirror.

That wasn't always the case but even basic Fiestas got a drivers door mirror in 1980 presumably as required by law.

I think there is something in EC law that requires the external mirror to be adjustable from the driver's seat.

I was told not to use mirrors on my bike test because they vibrate and can't be relied upon.

Sorry that's all a bit vague, just bits I've picked up over the years.
wing mirrors and the law? - yorkiebar
For mot purposes

Car needs to have a mirror on drivers side and either on left or an interior mirror.

Both have to be able to provide a clear view behind.

passenger side mirror is optional and is not (in theory) subject to test. However, any mirror fitted has to comply with above.
wing mirrors and the law? - normd2
everything you ever wanted to know about mirrors and the MOT:

www.ukmot.com/6-6.asp
wing mirrors and the law? - grumpyscot
>> I think there is something in EC law that requires the external mirror to be
adjustable from the driver's seat.

Not sure this is true, since most van and HGV mirrors are too big and cumbersome to have interior adjustability.

Certainly, mates VW Transporter (no bigger than a tranny) cannot be adjusted from inside and h'es never failed an MOT.