05 1.4HDi - lights have gone way out of adjustment - cipollina
For no obvious reason, the headlight adjustment on my 2005 Peugeot 206 1.4HDI is way out, on main beam the lights give less visibility than a normal car on dip! Adjusting the the control inside the car does not improve the situation. I don't see how this can be a mechanical problem as nothing has been changed, can anyone point me in the right direction with this please? the car is still under warranty, but the main dealer is 20 miles away so I'd rather use that as a last resort.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/12/2007 at 09:48

Pug 206 lights have gone way out of adjustment - Armitage Shanks {p}
Don't quite understand the question! Is this one headlight or both? Are you saying the beam is out of adjustment with regard to where it is pointing or that it has gone very dim? One is a mechanical problem, perhaps related to the height adjustment, the other is possibley an electrical problem causing the light to be dimmer than it should be.
Pug 206 lights have gone way out of adjustment - cipollina
Both headlights are pointing down on to the road rather than out along the road. I drove for 40 miles last night with the lights on main beam, but I clearly wasn't dazzling anyone as no-one flashed me! I changed one of the headlight bulbs a few weeks ago but don't see what I could have done to cause this problem
Assuming that you have the rotary switch on the dash, just above your right knee, which rotates to raise and lower both headlights at the same time, check that it works ie actually does raaie and lower the beams. If it doesn't there is the problem, if it does than I guess you have affected the mechanism in some way when you changed the headlight bulb.
The rotary switch does work OK, so I guess I need to look at the actual headlights then, although I don't see how changing one bulb affects both headlights!
Pug 206 lights have gone way out of adjustment - L'escargot
Perhaps one of the headlights was pointing low before you changed the bulb in the other one, but because you'd got two headlights working you didn't notice the maladjustment.
--
L\'escargot.
Is it a simple manual adjustment to realign the headlights correctly? or should I get this done professionally?
Reading thru all of the above it seems that the range of movement of the headlights, using the adjuster, is wrong. Instead of moveing from normal level to down a bit, they are moving from down a bit to much too low. Yes? I wouldn't care to guess at the fix - Haynes Manual or visit to a garage, maybe an independent leccie?
Pug 206 lights have gone way out of adjustment - Red Baron
Agree with AS.

I had a similar problem once. Turned out to be water ingress into the motor control that adjusts the headlights. I fixed it myself, but could no longer use the little dial inside the car to adjust. The alternative would have been a new headlight, presumably, at about £100+.
Thanks for the responses, it sounds from what you are saying that it is a malfunction and will therefore be covered under warranty, so I guees I need to book it in at the Peugeot dealer.
Pug 206 lights have gone way out of adjustment - Ruperts Trooper
Sounds like a fault to me - after considerable use my '00 Astra headlamp adjustment worked downwards, but not upwards - by then it was out of warranty so I manually adjusted the lights and didn't use the electric adjustment after that.
05 1.4HDi - lights have gone way out of adjustment - Screwloose

What happened just before you noticed this problem? Did you hit a speed bump and pop the reflectors off their adjusters?
Diffcult to say, my wife and my daughter normally drive the car, they kept telling me they couldn't see where they were going when it was dark - took me a while to work out what they meant! That could well be the case, is that a simple fix?

If that's what's happened; then they "just" need popping back into place.

Accessing the reflectors to do it is the tricky bit...
OK can you please give me some idea how it's done or would it be simpler to take it to a garage?
05 1.4HDi - lights have gone way out of adjustment - Armitage Shanks {p}
If it is under warranty why not go and ask? If they will fix it you are sorted; maybe the warranty won't cover it, particularly if you tell them you have been under the bonnet changing bulbs! It is worth trying though!

Never needed to do it on one of them; a garage would be your best bet.
05 1.4HDi - lights have gone way out of adjustment - oilrag
Some new bulbs can be very poor on light pattern even if they have been fitted properly.

If you dont feel comfortable about working it out yourself in the dark against a wall, i would take it to a garage and have it put on a beam tester.

If it were mine, I would try two new quality bulbs such as bosch, making sure they`re fitted into their mountings properly.

Regards
05 1.4HDi - lights have gone way out of adjustment - geriatric
Can it be that your reflectors have melted from the bulb heat.This happened to me after I fitted extra power bulbs,the beam went lower and lower as the plastic softened in the heat.
Geriatric