Minimum part-ex deals - just a con? - OldSock
Another recent thread linked to a site offering new base model Mitsubishi Colts at £5999. Looking a little harder showed this to be 'after minimum part exchange of £1500'.

I've noticed many similar 'deals' in the past and have usually dismissed them as a gimmick, assuming that the price includes a healthy profit margin - even if the punter's old banger is sold for £100 scrap......

Has anyone actually bought a car under a similar promotion? Did it feel 'genuine' (for want of a better word)?

If it's just a 'con', could you extract the same price from the dealer - even without the p/x?
Minimum part-ex deals - just a con? - ForumNeedsModerating
Yes, the p/ex amount must be incidental to the deal. They must assume a 'clever' punter will turn up with a shed with minimum MOT (the probable p/ex qualifying condition)

If I were tempted by any cars they had, the 'deal' offer would be of no interest. Look at CTG, pure & simple.

Edited by woodbines on 10/12/2007 at 13:27

Minimum part-ex deals - just a con? - DP
The only important figure for both parties in the deal is the cost to change. In other words how much you have to put in to the deal, and how much profit they make out of you. You want to minimise this and the dealer wants to maximise it.

How they work it out in terms of the new car price, and their valuation for your px is completely irrelevant. All you need to care about is the difference.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Minimum part-ex deals - just a con? - OldSock
Well, SWMBO has been making noises about another car, but I'd like to sell hers privately and have cash in hand to wave under a dealer's nose (we have a 'spare' car to use as a stop-gap).

So would that same 'after part-ex' price be negotiable even without a car to trade in?

Or how about buying an MoT'd 'shed' off Ebay for that specific purpose!!
Minimum part-ex deals - just a con? - paulb {P}
My father-in-law benefited from a very similar deal, in which we presented ourselves at friendly neighbourhood Fiat dealer with his shed of an Astra LS (96N, 1.4 60ps on its third HG, 77k urban miles and with bodywork and interior to match) which I think then had a px value of £500 at Parker's most optimistic estimate.

For this he received £1k credit against an 04-reg Punto (then 9 months old) with the rest of the cost to change being picked up by some surprisingly reasonable HP. FiL was (and remains) very pleased with it, this being the only time in his life he has ever owned a car new enough still to have some manufacturer warranty left at the time of purchase.
Minimum part-ex deals - just a con? - Falkirk Bairn
Another recent thread linked to a site offering new base model Mitsubishi Colts at £5999.
Looking a little harder showed this to be 'after minimum part exchange of £1500'.

You might find another dealer advertising / selling at £5999 - you could knockk something off then put your "scrap car" for sale in the small ads / breakers and pocket that amount.

I am sure that at the weekend there were adverts for the car at below £7,000 - the convertible was £9,999 before haggling.
Minimum part-ex deals - just a con? - tintin01
Still £6k at Grenson Mitsubishi in Cheshire. I have no connection with them, but remember a poster on the BR, I think, mentioning them before.

I had a new Colt as a courtesy car once, nice to drive but very small - I don't think these base models have air con, so a used higher spec one might be better value still.

I have just swapped my old Carisma for a 52 reg Primera - I wanted something more exciting but a possible house move means a sensible car is the order of the day. I was pretty bored with the Carisma and I suspect the Primera will seem pretty dull, pretty quickly - but at the moment I am thrilled with the nice steering, smooth ride, spacious cabin and shiny paintwork. I am just hoping it is as reliable as the Mitsubishi.
Minimum part-ex deals - just a con? - Paul I
I know of someone who had they car written off and wanted a car in a similar offer. The Dealer wasn't interested when no PX was offered. So they left it two weeks later they had a phone call "are you still looking for a car" yes they said as public transport was starting to be a pain and they got their pay out quickly.

Dealers ears prick up "oh so you have deposit" well yes and no ...."yes we have a deposit but your offer said you old car as a deposit so we we hoping to use that"(they got what I feel was a low price for a very nice Golf)

Well the dealer said ok we'll take your payout as a deposit, slightly stunned they said you haven't once asked what are old car was, how much we got for it or how you expect us to pay for it.

So the guy says look i'm interested but can I talk to the sales manager please ?
"i am ..do you want a car or not?" and at that point no sale was made and another dealer benefited.

I'm not sure if there a con or not but are a good marketing ploy.