Breathable Cover Material - Surrey_Scientist

Does anyone have any experience of Stormforce covers from CarcoverUK ?

Seems to be abreathable 4ply polesteer based material that is apparnetly breathable.

I need it fora Celica Convertible, but their stockists don't list this as a size.

Contacting them direct their email price quote claims

"Exclusive UK designs for your particular model"

when I asked for a quote from their website.

They are asking about £140 which is cheaper than lot of other breathable covers I've seen advertised

Does this mean they are able to make to measure from some kind of pattern database or just have a range of generic designs to suit certain size/shaped vehicles ?

Does anyone know of the provenance of their "Stormforce" material ??

I have seen much cheaper generic covers advertised (about 1/4 of the price) also claiming a 4ply polyester breathable material, and the close-up photos of these look very like the sample of "Stormforce" material that CarcoverUK sent through the post.

I don't particualrly want to pay 4x the price for the same material thats just been rebadged with a fancy name.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/12/2007 at 21:27

Breathable Cover Material - Surrey_Scientist

I'm trying to buy a new breathable all-wetaher cover for my convertible for over-winter storage, and have seen

Stormforce covers

tiny.cc/4MowN

I've got sampleof the material from them, and it seems quite strong, although I have also noticed the considerbaly cheaper

Maypole Covers

tiny.cc/y7gZL

the material for which which bears more than a passing resemblance in both the pictures and its description - 4layer breathable etc Polypropylene Fabric

Does anyone know anything about these materials, and are they differnet or is the Stormforce just the same stuff as the Maypole with a bit of extra branding...

cheers !
Breathable Cover Material - Nsar
If you're paying extra because the fabric is "breathable" then you're being had. Breathable material only has any meaning when the body inside generates heat - the energy drives moisture out through some sort of permeable membrane. Your car certainly generates heat for some time after switching it off, but given that the cover is going to allow so much movement of air under and around it, the effect is two fifths of chuff all.

Breathable Cover Material - Pica
I bought an outdoor one from www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk/ which is a 4 layer breathable one with two understraps to stop it blowing away in a gale and I peeked under this weekend after about 3 days constant rain and the car was completely dry. There were puddles of water standing on parts of the cover but it still kept the car dry

The cost was £110

I too live in Surrey and as hamiltons is only in Eversley I drove over to take a look before I bought. Nice people to do business with too.
Breathable Cover Material - barchettaman
I had one for the Barchetta - ?5 from Lidl, I seem to recall. Did the job!

Unless your car sweats a lot, I can´t see the point of a ´breathable´ car cover. Get a cheap one and spend the rest on decent wine.
Breathable Cover Material - Peter D
Beware of the abravive nature of the material. When covering convertible/soft tops execess movement of the material can abraid the soft top on supporting edges and corners.