Selling to a breaker - daveyK_UK
One are the things to do/watch out for?

car is a write off and 25 miles from home. Towed by AA to residential kurb side. Still 4 months tax so no problem about leaving it on the side of the road.

Thanks.
Selling to a breaker - normd2
if you're making an insurance claim it'll be up to the insurers what happens to it. If you're not here's what I've done previously:
Call breakers yard and ask for a collection, their guy will come out and make an offer. If you accept he'll take it away with the V5 and about a week to 10 days later you'll receive the notification of scrapping from the breaker. - all very painless.
nb if there's jagged metal or glass sticking out remember your public liability if it's lying in the street. Also the local residents may take a dim view of a strange smashed car in their street.

Edited by normd2 on 06/12/2007 at 11:23

Selling to a breaker - FotheringtonThomas
The advice seems to be:

To make most money, e-bay it or bits from it, scrap the residual part(s).

I was offered less by a breaker than a scrap merchant. Perhaps just scrapping the thing would be better than taking it to a breaker (who will strip useful bits, then scrap the rest!).
Selling to a breaker - daveyK_UK
is it worth going through the insurance for a £300 pound car.

cam belt has gone.

excess is £800 - so wont recieve a thing in return.

does the scrap metal merchant need to be licensed?
Selling to a breaker - normd2
never used a scrap metal merchant for disposing of a car but a car breaker/dismantler certainly has to be. I did my research and know of three good ones in Fife (there are probably more) who'll give you £100 for it but I suspect you're a wee bit too far away for one of them.
Selling to a breaker - pendulum
I do not think you could go through insurance even if you wanted to for a snapped cambelt. That would more likely be covered by a warranty etc.
Selling to a breaker - local yokel
Can't see how you are insured for a mechanical failure such as the cambelt? Might be worth checking if there's a good engine nearby you could drop in, but sound like you've just got to have it towed away, and buy another.