1998 1.9TD - After market exhaust - matt_conway
Hi, I have just got myself a really nice 1998 1.9Turbo Diesel Sport [3door]. I am thinking about installing an after-market exhaust system, but I'm not 100% sure if it is road legal and what bits I need to buy if I were to go for it! ...Also, what performance gains are there, currently my car is fully standard, but with 17" Alloys [with some ultra low profile tyres - about 1" of sidewall!!!], I am also looking to lower the car [not stupidly low, maybe about 30-40mm; would this mean an aftermarket exhaust would not fit because the end boxes look a lot fatter than the standard ones!

Any advice would be very much appriciated! ...Also any good links to fitting the exhaust?

Thanks.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/11/2007 at 18:45

After market exhaust - bell boy
tinyurl.com/ynuxd2

try this young man, we have problems getting in cars never mind getting under slammed ones ;-)
After market exhaust - jc2
Most aftermarket exhausts will make more noise and reduce performance.
After market exhaust - bathtub tom
The only decent sounding exhausts on a diesel that I've heard are the dust-carts around here.
Remember the resonant PAAAARRRP from Moggie Minors?
After market exhaust - thomp1983
plenty of bolt on aftermarket exhausts available for the 306, having been through quite a few 306's ill tell you there a waste of time on the diesel models, you won't change the tractor type sound the engine produces and there's no performance benefits to gain. as for lowering, you'll need new springs for the front end and the rear is an adjustable torsion bar which can be a sod to work on after all the years of muck and rust have gathered.

id recommend lowering as long as it's done properly and no more than 40mm as it does improve the handling which is already good as standard, but it will increase tyre wear. the other thing id recommend you research is whats known as a stage 1 tune for the engine which will push power from stock 90bhp to around 115bhp, if your diy minded you can do it yourself for free if not the going is rate is around the £100 mark for a garage to do it

chris
After market exhaust - matt_conway
RE: Chris,

Thanks for the info! ...So I won't waste my cash on an exhaust then!!!! ...I'm not fussed about the noise it makes, I'm not a big fan of the noisy exhausts, was just looking to see if anyone knew whether there's any performance gains, but as it sounds, there is not for putting on a diesel!!!!

...I'm interested about this stage 1 tuning thing; is it easy to do yourself? [I don't really know much about engines, but am very practical and enjoy tinkering with things] ...Where can I find a guide to do this sort of thing?

Thanks!
After market exhaust - jc2
Not worth putting on a petrol either-on their own.
After market exhaust - thomp1983
go and sign up on www.pug306.net and look through their forums, very good site for all things peugeot related and there used to be a guide for the tune there

chris
After market exhaust - John Blackmore
I'm always late on posts like this but, but here is my 2p's worth.

The 306 turbo diesel engine is a very good starter for what you have described. Contrary to what has been posted previously an exhaust will provide you with extra power and does not need to sound like a tractor. A stock exhaust system contains baffles in the silencer boxes which can restrict the flow of gasses escaping from the engine, but replacing the entire system with a free flowing one can free up a few extra bhp.

When combined with a stage 1 tune which can be done yourself in under an hour you can realistically expect to see an increase in power to as much as 110bhp while keeping all of your fuel economy and sometimes you can even reduce emissions too as the engine will be burning fuel more efficiently.

My advise is to take a good look round for information. There are a number of free guides at www.club-306.com including a step by step guide to the stage 1 tuning procedure. The forum area on this website is very helpful too however you will need a membership which does cost a few quid but then how much would you be willing to spend for good quality advice. Club-306 also offer a number of discounts including an exhaust supplier and a few insurance companies.

I have had over 7 years experience with 306's and I once owned a 1998 1.9TD myself and had a lot of fun with it. If you want to see my diesel tuning guide pop over to www.johns306.com or drop me a line.

All the best,
John.