Have cars become far too complicated? - Westpig
I don't know whether or not it's just my age, but i'm finding things are getting overly complicated, albeit some product makers have realised it and now make them less technically challenging (e.g. T.V.s).

I've recently swapped my mobile phone back a model to the one i had before, because the new one was too much hassle.

and cars..... I've owned one (2nd hand) now for over 5 years and have no wish to change. Yes i'd like the 'new' experience and the less likelihood of things going wrong, but i'm not sure i'd want the hassle that goes with it looking at some models.

I've heard about the BMW 'i' drive thingy and similar and think to myself 'no, no, no'.

Grumpy old git getting behind the times or average consumer?

Will we get to the time where a manufacturer does what the t.v. product makers have done and dumbs everything down so that there aren't a myriad of buttons on a dashboard and if you want to turn the aircon on there's a great big button in front of you that's glaringly obvious.... or will it keep going and get so bad that most people don't have a clue of what three quarters of their car can do?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 11/11/2007 at 19:38

have cars become far too complicated? - bathtub tom
I've a neighbour who I frequently have to encourage to get his handbook out, so I can read it for him.

My SIL recently 'phoned to say she'd driven the car to the garage because "a warning light came on, and I thought it was the oil one". It turned out to be a service warning.

My current car (an Almera) appears to have a very comprehensive (thick) handbook, but I've learnt things from this site which aren't listed.

I think the majority of drivers will never know the full facilities of their cars, but the handbook would have to be thicker than a bible to suit geeks like some of us here ;>)
Have cars become far too complicated? - fordprefect
I don't know whether or not it's just my age but i'm finding things are
getting overly complicated albeit some product makers have realised it and now make them less
technically challenging (e.g. T.V.s)

Will we get to the time where a manufacturer does what the t.v. product makers
have done and dumbs everything down .... or will it keep going and get
so bad that most people don't have a clue of what three quarters of their
car can do?

There is a suggestion that the percentage of people who leave school with poor literacy is worryingly high.
Even people who can read properly seldom read all of the driver's handbook when they get a new car and at the cheaper end of the used car market the handbook may be missing anyway.

I would bet that most people already know only the basic functions of their car, backroomers excepted, of course. :-)
Have cars become far too complicated? - bell boy
i had my r reg primera for two years and only found out after it went that the heated rear window also warmed up the overtaking mirrors
the handbook for the later primera goes into so much detail for the radio that i gave up and just use radio 2 or the cd bit in the boot,i still cant turn off the dammed traffic news when it comes blasting on
Have cars become far too complicated? - Westpig
only found out after it went that the heated rear window also warmed up the overtaking mirrors

err, um...is that the same for a number of other cars??
Have cars become far too complicated? - SpamCan61 {P}
only found out after it went that the heated rear window also warmed up
the overtaking mirrors
>>
err um...is that the same for a number of other cars??

Erm..yes, my last 5 Vauxhalls have had this feature, I think my 1990 cavalier mk3 was the last one that had a seperate switch to heat the mirrors.

>>Not only cars, try and buy a phone that doesnt have a camera, MP3 player, web browser, e-mail client etc etc etc.

Nokia 11xx series?
Have cars become far too complicated? - JH
B
the section on the radio, or the separate radio manual, is usually longer than the main manual! I have no idea how to turn RDS off on mine. I casually ask the wife to do it, well I'm driving aren't I? She spends ten minutes swearing at it but does the job. On the previous car I'd had it for 2 years before I discovered that you could turn down the volume of the announcements!

Yes, too complicated. Or at least, not well designed .

JH
Have cars become far too complicated? - David Horn
You can squeeze the bulk of most manuals into about 3 lines:

IF IT'S A RED LIGHT, DON'T DRIVE IT.
If it's a yellow light, drive it but consider getting it looked at.
If it's a pretty green or blue light, ignore it.

And that's that.
Have cars become far too complicated? - Ravenger
IF IT'S A RED LIGHT DON'T DRIVE IT.

I'm stuffed when the temperature gets below freezing then - my car's frost indicator light turns red at that stage!
Have cars become far too complicated? - bathtub tom
No! If you follow DH's advice, then I assume you haven't RTFB, and you shouldn't be driving if it's likely to be icy ;>)
Have cars become far too complicated? - stuartl
I have modern cars and vans but love working on my 'toy' cars as they are so easy.

Had a xflow based kit car that was a joy to work on and diagnose any faults and have two MGB's that employ similar simplistic technology.

Ahhhhhhhhh, the bliss that is NO fault codes, NO ecu, NO need for anything more than a multimeter to sort out any electrical problem.

Ok, so they have no airbags, ABS, PAS etc but how easy are they to fix? !!!

: o )
Have cars become far too complicated? - Lud
Yes.
Have cars become far too complicated? - stunorthants26
I realised this tonight blasting along the A14 past Cambridge in my mums Hyundai.

Nice as my mums Hyundai Coupe is, the controls, at night esp, just arent a patch on my Rover 420.

Because it has a climate control unit, all you have is a load of small buttons, which, depite being lit up at night, are lit the same colour. As such, if you want to change the fan speed, temp or anything else, you have to first look to locate the button, then look at the little screen down by the gearstick to see if you have executed what you wanted to do.

My Rover however, three rotary knobs - one controls direction, one fan speed and one temperature - simple, easy to find without taking your eyes off the road and simply by which way its pointing, you know without looking what the setting is.

I dont have remote c/locking on my Rover, I just stick a key in and the doors open.
I dont have to remember how close i have to be to unlock it, how many times to click it to open what doors nor to replace the batteries lest the remote fails and I cant get in at all.

I also like my wind down windows too, no electric motors to fail and I can fix it with a hammer and screwdriver should it break, rather than buying a motor that will cost hundreds.

BMW's idrive would drive me mad in about 5 seconds flat. I wouldnt buy it just on account of it. Progress to me would be bulletproof engineering and customer service.
Looking at Renaults advert for the new Laguna, maybe they have realised this too and I look forward to seeing a new one in the flesh as they seem to have alotta confidence in it judging by the warranty offer.
Have cars become far too complicated? - Robin Reliant
My dream car would be 1980's technology with to-days engineering standards. I don't want air conditioning or climate control or catalytic convertors or cruise control or ABS or airbags or ECUs or any of the other complicated and expensive garbage that takes up room under the bonnet. Just a reliable and reasonably performing motor where you can change a starter or alternator yourself without having to spend a months wages at your dealers because it takes a week to even find the bleeding things, let alone remove them.
--

Edited by Robin Reliant on 11/11/2007 at 23:56

Have cars become far too complicated? - Pugugly {P}
Buy a Skoda, the dashboard is a paragon of simplicity, puts me in mind of 1980s BMWs.
Have cars become far too complicated? - 1066
i used to love my 728i on a w plate so around 1982. i keep looking for another one as they seemed complicated when i was 21 but now must be pretty simple to fix. would love to get another
Buy a Skoda a paragon of simplicity puts me in mind of
1980s BMWs.

Managing the transition painlessly I see PU...

:0}
Have cars become far too complicated? - Pugugly {P}
See Skoda thread for further info.
Have cars become far too complicated? - gordonbennet
Yes absolutely, i was looking at another forum today and basically a warning light had come on to tell the driver to check the oil level.

The forum thread was amusing for the fact that the well respected poster was trying in vain to go through various menu's to check his oil, with help from other owners.

The most incredible thing is that the Merc in question has no dipstick for either engine or gearbox oil, unbelievable, as i dare say many of us like to see how our oil looks as well as the level, i do.

We bought a hilux this year and one of the various reasons is its comparitive simplicity, however it happens to have sat nav, and what a joke that is, the system has a complete handbook of its own and we can't get the hang of the blessed thing, just as well as i still go me own way...is this attitiude an age thing as well?

I deliver new cars and this complication is getting beyond the pale, after turning the key (assuming its not retro with the push button start aka moggie 1000) then its a case of waiting for many seconds till the car decides it can start.
Some of them come up with 'system check' during this time...laughable, anyone would think it was programming for the leap to light speed and its only going 10 yards onto the truck.

Then of course when you stop it the automatic handbrake can do it for you till it goes wrong and you can't leave some of them in gear???

Then with all the blinking electrical stuff running (no pun) flat batteries are all too regular, but hang on there's a special sequence to jump starting and if you get it wrong something very expensive goes pop.

Even the most ordinary cars now have automatic headlamps and wipers...why.

What really amazes me is when i hear people looking to buy a used car and they want the top spec with all the toys that go wrong, especially 'climate control', i shudder when i see that, it always goes wrong and the dashboard pixels vanish.

Memory seats, for a car thats driven by one person?

Whats wrong with the good old 3 dials to direct the heat and fan speed?

There i hope your satisfied Westpig, i've spat me dummy out again and got all wound up, i could go on all night but your bored already.
Have cars become far too complicated? - Avant
Yes, I think they have - but paradoxically they are more reliable than they were, say, 50 years ago.

I presume this is because components like hoses, plugs, brake pads etc are made of more durable materials than in the past. Which makes me think that an old car, with modern replacements for wear-and-tear items, should be a good bet for reliability. Cliff Pope with his 3 million mile Volvo probably has the right idea.

Designers need to think 'is this innovation a genuine improvement on what went before?' Plus points of my Golf Mark V estate are that it has:

- the starter operated by the ignition key
- instruments in front of the driver
- the handbrake between the front seats
- a full-size spare wheel.

The alternatives are answers to problems that don't exist.
Have cars become far too complicated? - smokescreen
It comes down to poor human computer interaction design really. Forgetting that the normal car user doesnt want to hunt through menus and such just to set a radio.

Didnt BMW backpedal a bit on their I-drive system and end up placing buttons for things like the radio? Looks like engineers once in a while need reminding of their target audience!
Have cars become far too complicated? - doctorchris
.*********
Give me my Panda any day, it lets me make the decisions (except it doesn't, full 4WD only comes in when the viscous coupling to the rear wheels decides it should. Aargh!).
Have cars become far too complicated? - doctorchris
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=33415

Nuff said.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/11/2007 at 10:24

Have cars become far too complicated? - hbosken
Ah - remember the good old days of the Morris 1000? Central locking - forget it - no point in locking the car as no one would pinch it anyway. Windscreen wipers? Was that what the dirty cloth under the drivers seat was for? Heater? Calor gas (if you were well-of, paraffin if you weren't) heater perched precariously on the floor of the passenger footwell. Carpets? Off-cuts of Mum's new living room axminster. Screen wash - that'll be the lemonade bottle with water in it then. Engine Management? That'll be the dodgy contact set you bought from Jim down the road that's really supposed to fit a Jaguar Xk120.

But the good thing was, if anything went wrong, you could probaly fix it for half a crown or at least cobble up something temporary that would see you through the next couple of years.
Have cars become far too complicated? - Cliff Pope
Cliff Pope
with his 3 million mile Volvo probably has the right idea.

That's a slight exaggeration. Actually it's only 381,000 miles.

But there is a real 2.5 million mile Volvo man called Irv Gordon, in America of course. He has covered this mileage in a P1800 since new. Apparently Volvo did very exhaustive checks on the car to verify the figure, before presenting him with various awards, including 2 new cars. Not that he needs them, as he hasn't worn out his old one yet.

He reports that some interesting items do wear out at high mileage. For example, a windscreen only lasts about 500,000 miles because of abrasion by the wipers.
Have cars become far too complicated? - tyro
Being a member of the KISS brigade, I like this thread. I've never had a car with remote or central locking, air con, or electric windows. Not even alloys or a CD player.

Like Doctor Chris, I like to make my own decisions. Especially regarding windscreen wiping.

The other day I was out in my Ford Ka, and it was raining, so I had the wipers on, and I needed to reverse. The rear wiper did not go on when I engaged reverse. (It does in my Citroen). It was a moment of joy, and I thought how much I love my Ka, because it is nice and simple. (It's never gone wrong either.)

That said, I do like ABS (there are times when I can't think and act fast enough to make my own decisions), and I must confess a weakness for cruise control (which lets me make my own decisions.)
Have cars become far too complicated? - DP
It depends. When everything works, modern cars are superb things. The trouble is that these electronic systems, and modern diesel fuelling systems have torn up the rule book when it comes to assessing the severity and expense of a fault.

A non-running conventional diesel could probably be fixed for a few hundred quid unless you were unlucky. A non-running common rail? From three quid to three grand - take your pick, plus the hourly rate of an expert to tell you which! Ditto wiring faults. A problem with a conventional electrical system would be no trouble to a good automotive sparky. With a multiplex setup, who knows whether it's a simple fault, a blown ECU or anything else, but you'll first need £80 an hour main dealer labour charges to find out?

As far as convenience "gadgets" go, bring them on. The Scenic is an absolute delight in this respect. If we're talking a sports car, I want lightness and simplicity. If we're talking a family hack, the more loaded and painless, the better as far as I'm concerned. Driving with kids in the back is a chore, not a pleasure.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Have cars become far too complicated? - J Bonington Jagworth
"Volvo did very exhaustive checks on the car to verify the figure"

I wonder what they were?
"Volvo did very exhaustive checks on the car to verify the figure"
I wonder what they were?

>>

They examined all the numbered components (engine, gearbox, axle, steering rack, etc) and traced their origins back through production records to establish their provenance. Obviously some had been replaced at various times, but they were able to trace these and verify the thread.
Also presumably the American equivalent of MOTs could provide date and mileage records.
Irv obviously wanted to be able to verify the claim too, so he kept all his service records and petrol sales vouchers.
I think it has a FSH. I liked the story that he bought the car on a Friday, and took it back in on Monday having completed the first mileage interval in the service book.
Have cars become far too complicated? - bintang
My new Fabia 2 HTP 70 has lock and dash display information too complicated for me to understand (and me with two degrees and numerous professional diplomas). All manufacturers cloud the issue by using the same handbook to cover different versions, with a let-out "on certain models" to accommodate all. The "cheapo" sound system on my car has many more facilities than I need.
Have cars become far too complicated? - cheddar
Not only cars, try and buy a phone that doesnt have a camera, MP3 player, web browser, e-mail client etc etc etc.

Have cars become far too complicated? - bell boy
i should mention that the best things about modern cars are that they do actually start because of their injection systems
it was minus some silly figure outside my house this morning but my transit started albeit slowly,now in the bad old days the diesel fuel would have been frozen and i would have had to throw copious amounts of easy start up its nose to get it started
if it was an old petrol the rubber diaphram would have split or it woyuld have overfuelled and i would have to take the spark plugs out and stick them under the grill on the cooker for 5 minutes

happy days?

no

technology .luvly

my phone does nowt but send and receive calls it cost £29 four years ago and still working,although im going to upgrade in the new year
Have cars become far too complicated? - mss1tw
Not only cars try and buy a phone that doesnt have a camera MP3 player
web browser e-mail client etc etc etc.

So then don't use those functions, hardly rocket science is it? Amazingly my N95 has the ability to make calls in exactly the same way as my first ever mobile - dial a number and hit the green button.
Have cars become far too complicated? - MichaelR
Can't you luddites all go and buy 405 diesels and old Nokia 5110's and leave those of us for whom new things isn't far too challenging to comprehend to enjoy the technological advancements of the last 10 years?

I mean come on, iDrive is hardly rocket science.
Its not rocket science, but it answers a question that wasnt asked and over complicates the car.
I am well capable of handling new technology, but it doesnt mean that I appreciate so called advances that actually dont advance anything.
The 5-series BMW I clean with idrive still has a dashboard full of buttons, so it certainly hasnt simplified anything.

Cruise control, yes I get that and the safety features, in the main, I get them too, but why all the rest? Why not give us the choice of not having all the junk?
The usual procedure when confronted with over-complicated technology is to find a 13-year old child, as I do to set the video. They ought to lower the driving age accordingly.
Have cars become far too complicated? - Chris S
Renault are going to build a RHD-version of their (Dacia) Logan in India. It's a really simple model that a home mechanic should be capable of maintaining.

I'm sure it would be a big seller over here, particularly with people over 40 who used to do all their own servicing.
Have cars become far too complicated? - tyro
" Can't you luddites all go and buy 405 diesels and old Nokia 5110's and leave those of us for whom new things isn't far too challenging to comprehend to enjoy the technological advancements of the last 10 years?"

Ahhh, there speaks the voice of youth. Yes Michael, perhaps it is my age. Perhaps if I were your age, I would feel as you do.

" why all the rest? Why not give us the choice of not
having all the junk?"

Ahhh, there speaks the voice of wisdom and common sense.
SNIPQUOTE!!
Ahhh there speaks the voice of wisdom and common sense.

Funny thing is, im only 27, so im hardly old, just I grew up in the 80's when cars were fairly reliable but not over complex compared with todays machines.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/11/2007 at 13:51

Have cars become far too complicated? - L'escargot
They don't make cars like they used to ~ thank goodness!

I'm all for innovation and having the latest technology. The only thing in my car which doesn't get used to it's full potential is the wireless. (!) And it's not because of my lack of comprehension ~ it's just that it's got more than I need. Incidentally, the other day I invented a new use for the "shuffle" mode of my car's CD player ~ I used it to help me choose my lottery numbers!
--
L\'escargot.
Have cars become far too complicated? - milkyjoe

"..which doesn't get used to it's full potential is the wireless. (!)"

sq
wireless...would that be the 8 or 16 valve set?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 12/11/2007 at 18:25

Have cars become far too complicated? - L'escargot
wireless...would that be the 8 or 16 valve set?

Just a joke ~ but barely just apparently!
--
L\'escargot.
Have cars become far too complicated? - Aprilia
I think cars are gradually turning into computer networks, with an engine and wheels attached. The problem we have is that the priorities of the new car buyer, who will probably sell by the time the warranty expires, are different to those of the used car buyer who is on a lower budget and will have to shell out hard cash for any repairs.
Some advances are to be welcomed (e.g. ABS) but other feautres are of more doubtful benefit (auto headlights, wipers, electronic handbrake - whoever asked for them?).
Many of the menu-driven interfaces are ergonomically poor and although I can find my way around them they are not suited to use in car - when driving at speed you want to operate equipment more or less by 'feel' rather than by having to read a menu item and making several button pushes/twiddles.
May I interpret a little here?

I think what Aprilia is saying is that some things like ABS are obviously good (I must say I agree with bb too: today's injected, electronic cars start more easily and keep their tune much better than they used to) but many others are redundant and indeed a nuisance, especially when cars are out of warranty.

Everyone has their likes and dislikes. I don't mind electric windows myself although they add weight. But I don't often feel I need air conditioning although a majority of people here regard it as essential. My impression is also that air bags achieve very little that properly fastened seat belts don't, as well as having the potential to cause injury themselves. Come to that I don't much like ABS personally. Always (or nearly always!) managed OK without it.
Have cars become far too complicated? - Screwloose

Maybe the question needs to be: "Have cars become far too complicated to be fixable?"

With ref to NC's answer to a Vectra-C problem on the tech forum; "From talking to an ex-colleague at the Vauxhall garage where I used to work, these CAN systems are beyond the skills of over 90% of Vauxhall mechanics, and most of these faults from a wide area are now brought to him to sort out, because there's no-one in the other (larger!) garages who has a clue."

That tallies exactly with what I'm repeatedly finding on diagnostic visits to dealerships - that most electronic systems are now far beyond the abilities of those tasked with fixing them. The few diag-techs that used to understand them have got fed up with earning less that the filter-spinning kids on bonus and have left the trade for easier pickings.

This leaves many main dealers with nobody in the workshop who will touch a diagnostic job. Instead, they just make a wild guess; "do something" - effective or not - and charge the customer hoping that they won't come back. A more financially-efficient strategy, at least in the short term, than spending the many hours needed to trace a fault - most of which the customer doesn't see as necessary and won't pay for.

I think the real answer is no, they arent too complicated BUT there is no real alternative for those who do want a less complicated car, thus it creates the situation where what is available isnt what many people want, but have little choice but to buy into technology they dont want.
Have cars become far too complicated? - movilogo
The manufacturers need to make some profit. A highly reliable car means less money for them.

So, they now design the car in such a way that you need to shell out more money to fix or service it.

Consumers also have a choice. You don't need to buy a car with lots of gadgets. There are still many cars with bare minimum components and still does a decent motoring.
Have cars become far too complicated? - rtj70
Short answer for me is YES.

Liked the new Mondeo but had reservations over

- the steering mounted controls for functions that you could and hit a button for. Yes they are "shortcuts" to other vehicle controls but when driving you do not want to be scrolling through menus! Before long it will be illegal to drive modern cars as it is to use a mobile phone.

- size - it is big

Went for the old/current Mazda6 and love it. Change temperature for heating is as easy as rotating a knob and steering button for cruise/stereo better than on the old Mundano.

When I had the car kit refitted, the installer chatted a bit. We did a light check on the car before install (and he took the carkit out of the last car and did the same) and he commented on a recent car whereby the Fog/Reverse on a Golf MkV were the wrong way around! The wrong light units fitted and the owner did not know. I guess it's down to CANBUS wiring?
Have cars become far too complicated? - Screwloose
I guess it's down to CANBUS wiring?

Exactly; they can't leave anything alone without adding an ECU function to it. The unnecessary complication of simple rear light wiring is reaching astounding levels.

For example; in a rear light unit, you have two red lenses and two bulbholders - one for a single filament and the other an offset [stop/tail] twin-contact type. You require it to function as two tail-lights and a stoplight.

So that's a 5 watt bulb in the single and a 5/21w one in the twin. The classic solution - been used for years.

Not any more... The incredible solution that BMW came up with?

Even though it's wired, ignore the 21w side of the stop-tail completely; use only it's 5w filament as a tail-light - then use the body-module to pulse-feed a single-filament 21w bulb in the other holder so that it only glows [at 5w] as a tail-light, brightening to full brilliance for the stop!

KISS clearly hasn't reached Germany yet!
Have cars become far too complicated? - henry k
Aprilia.
A very concise summing up. Spot on as usual.

>>Some advances are to be welcomed ... but other feautres are of more doubtful benefit ..... electronic handbrake - whoever asked for them?).
One surprising benefit. I was watching a police prog the other night that covered car theft.
The scroats had stolen the keys to a Merc but could not move it cos they were unable to sus the electronic handbrake.

>>when driving at speed you want to operate equipment more or less by 'feel'
Reminds me of the Rover 2000 innovative controls with all the switches operated by different shaped knobs. Too many controls for that aproach today :-(

I have just had my old Mondeo serviced by a main dealer ( who I think does a good job).
I know there is a very minor fault which they did not find /fix. I had to smile cos it was the bulb for "service required" :-)) I can live without it.

Have cars become far too complicated? - pendulum
>> Not only cars try and buy a phone that doesnt have a camera MP3
player
>> web browser e-mail client etc etc etc.
So then don't use those functions hardly rocket science is it?

What if the unnecessary functions interfere with the essential, basic ones?

The phone I have (borrowed) at the moment, a Sony Ericcson, has a camera, colour screen, WAP and all that jazz. Sending a text is a nightmare. Because it's loaded with unnecessary junk, it is so slow to use. When you type letters there's a delay before they show up on screen. When you press buttons there is a delay. Sometimes, you can press the button to choose a recipient, and after a couple of seconds you press it again because nothing's happened. Then all of a sudden it springs in to life, both presses register and it sends your text to the first person in the contacts list.

I must say it is absolutely awful in every way. I've had it two weeks and I hate the damn thing. The menu system is bad, probably due to the difficulty in designing a concise menu system for all the functions the phone has. All I want to do is make calls and send texts and this phone is just inadequate even for that...

And because of the colour screen and all the functions, the battery life's a bit rubbish. Progress? I think not.
Have cars become far too complicated? - bathtub tom
>>air bags achieve very little that properly fastened seat belts don't, as well as having the potential to cause injury themselves. Come to that I don't much like ABS personally

I used to think that, until I saw the results of a belted driver head-butting his steering wheel. I also believe the efficacy of side and curtain air-bags is without question in a side impact.
I doubt if I would have missed that lorry coming around the bend on the wrong side without ABS, once I got my nearside wheels onto the gravel I don't think I could have reacted fast enough to still steer out of his way.
I'm still happier putting a key in a keyhole, and manual windows give me the only little bit of exercise I get ;>)
Have cars become far too complicated? - SteVee
my first response is YES - they are too complicated.
But that answer is flawed.
We've only had these advances in vehicles by developing them - initially in premium markets and then in mass markets. Along the way the manufacturers have also developed some very reliable mechanical units - all those sweet revving multivalve petrol units and 5(+) speed gearboxes were not available in the mass market not so long back.

Modern cars are very easy to drive for a large percentage of the population - and can be adapted for those who need it. Try adapting a car without power steering/brakes etc.

I've always rejected cars that are over complicated - but recently bought a primera se+.
I thought my wife would spend every journey attempting to override the climate control - but it's just the opposite, she's left it well alone - the first car ever !
She's also happy to drive the car - and she hates complex cars much more than I do.
Yes, the radio is complex, but it does what I want it to - I've no idea what some of its features really do.

So well done Nissan. It still works after several years and owners. Anyone can use it without being overwhelmed and it looks just ... well, perhaps that's not the point !
Have cars become far too complicated? - Aprilia
So well done Nissan. It still works after several years and owners. Anyone can use
it without being overwhelmed and it looks just ... well perhaps that's not the point
!

I think you are referring to Nissan N-Form, which is actually one of the better menu driven systems out there. When I go to Germany I frequently get a BMW rental car with iDrive - I CAN use the system, but its not user friendly. Its even more awkward to use in UK RHD cars if you are right-handed!
I also find GM's system a bit awkward and over complex, just changing the set temperature is awkward, again especially if you're right handed in a RHD car.
Have cars become far too complicated? - SpamCan61 {P}
The phone I have (borrowed) at the moment a Sony Ericcson has a camera colour
screen WAP and all that jazz. Sending a text is a nightmare.

Sounds like you need something from here:-

www.retrobrick.com/

Or something basic like a Nokia 1600 for 18 quid on PAYG.
Have cars become far too complicated? - pendulum
I don't know what phone I normally use (lost charger for it, hence borrowed friend's spare) but it cost me £10 two years ago and it's fair to say it is simple enough.

I am not against new technology but I am against badly designed, overcomplicated products which it seems many (most?) new products are. Most mobiles tend to be jacks of all trades rather than mastering the basics.
Have cars become far too complicated? - MagDrop

I spent 10 years as the engineering line manager of a flight of fairly simple piston engined helicopters. I often had to send my mechanics out to attend to pilot ?finger trouble?. Eg. Starter doesn?t. Technician walks out to the aircraft, applies digit to starter circuit breaker on the console and says resignedly ?Try it now.?
Now this was in the days when people left school having done English and Maths properly, even doing counting, advanced guzinter and spelling. The ?drivers airframe? were a carefully selected bunch.
Having seen the myriad of buttons on Chinook and Apache helicopters and relating them to cars and the drivers who can?t find indicator or dipswitches I can only wonder at the modern aircraft?s ability to fly itself, albeit mostly with two pilots these days. Perhaps the more complicated cars need two drivers, one to RTFM whilst going along.

Have cars become far too complicated? - JamesH
I'm quite a techy sort and like to have a good set of gadgets in a car.
Aprilia:>> I think cars are gradually turning into computer networks, with an engine and wheels attached.
Ah, an in-car LAN, that's an interesting idea.

Seriously though, I have nothing against complex things going on behind the scenes, providing they work properly and are intuitive to use.

I have climate control on both cars and it's great. They both have quite effective systems so I never have to touch the settings. Perhaps a degree down if I have a coat on, or the windscreen button to quickly demist, but otherwise I just leave it on Auto and save continually fiddling with the air mix, temperature, fan speed etc.

I know people who don't seem to be able to work the basic manual controls, e.g. leaving the temp on full heat and windscreen but then turning the fan off when it gets too warm (then it gets stuffy in there without actually cutting the heat).

My Skoda has a multifunction display. Less simple than a basic set of warning lights, but you really can't argue with messages such as 'refuel now', 'service in 800 miles', 'low washer fluid', 'boot open', etc for the average person compared to deciphering some glowing symbol.

The best layout for anything in a car (or mobile phone, TV, etc) for people in general is something so intuitive it doesn't need the manual for day to day use.
Have cars become far too complicated? - henry k
>>but you really can't argue with messages such as ... 'low washer fluid'
Oh yes I can. The logic to me is I want the equivalent of an electric dip stick so I know how much fluid is left rather than a warning saying you should have checked it at the last M25 service centre. Not a lot of use stating the B obvious that you are out of washer fluid and stuck in truck spray and road surface gunge.

On the otherhand, a Renault Scenic I hired DID have an electric dip stick for oil.
The problem was, as I eventually sussed, if you parked on a slope with a half full oil level, on switching on, a service light and warning light came on and stayed on until the I stopped on the level and restarted the engine.

I want a MORE complicated warning for loss of oil pressure. i.e. a high pressure switch with a warning light when the pressure starts to drop not , as is the norm - oh you only have 5 PSI left.

I still think the Citroen SM idea of a BIG red display that lights up STOP when anything critical occurs. Simple and unambiguous.

So give us complications provided they are thought out.
Have cars become far too complicated? - Tornadorot
I want a MORE complicated warning for loss of oil pressure. i.e. a high pressure
switch with a warning light when the pressure starts to drop not as is the
norm - oh you only have 5 PSI left.

Sounds like what you want is an oil pressure gauge :-)

Shame there's not many cars these days that come with such a thing. Some don't even have a coolant temperature gauge!
Have cars become far too complicated? - mjm
If something goes wrong with the lubrication system on a car then the pressure drop is quite rapid. A higher setting of the warning light pressure switch would only give a slightly longer reaction time in the event of catastrophic failure. It would probably have to be set so high that nuisance triggering would be caused at idle speed with a hot engine.

A pressure gauge is better, but how often and for how long would you have to observe it? The fall of the needle would be quite quick.

A gauge will tell if the level is low by "dipping" during cornering, depending upon the car/layout, obviously. (My Lotus Elan 1965 was good at this!)

The first Citroen BX I had (and all the Cits since) light up a big red STOP light when the oil pressure falls. This did save the engine on one occaision when my wife was driving it.