Insurance - Max No Claims Discount - cottontop
Hi all,

Received my renewal quote for my insurance yesterday. Last year I had 5 years and on the email it says that I still have 5 years. I queried this with them and they gave the following responce;

"Dear xxxxxxxxx

With xxxxxxxx.xxx your no claims discount entitlement will be equivalent to our maximum discount of 60%. As with most insurance companies, 5 years is the maximum amount of years no claims discount we will accept to give you a reduction in your premium. If you provide your proof to any other insurance companies they should accept this as being the most NCD you could have earned and will discount your premium accordingly."

Now does this mean that If I go to another insurer they will only accept 5 years NCD even though I have 6 years or does everyone stop at 5 years ?

Thanks

Richard
Insurance - Max No Claims Discount - Falkirk Bairn
Most Ins Co only allow 5 Yrs NCB Discount (say 60-70%) although they may take your overall claims record into calculating the premium for you & your car.

Esure will take you on at 70% for 5 yrs NCB and if you stick with them it can rise to 75%.

The benefit of a few % is not much unless you have a claim - the you can fall down the discount ladder from 75 to say 73% rather than 70 to 60%/50% as with some companies.

I have been on a maxm NCB since 1971 as I ahve never claimed on my policy (claimed a few time against 3rd party). If I scratch my car or damage the bumper I have paid out the couple of hundred rather than claim - excess and lose my NCB meant it was not worth it.

Interestingly I found a receipt for new car bought in 1995 + Insurance - £425 Comp with full NCB - I now pay £350 to insure 2 x cars Comp with full NCB - who says insurance has risen - mine has not and in fact has decreased since 1995 by some 60%
Insurance - Max No Claims Discount - L'escargot
If I scratch my car or
damage the bumper I have paid out the couple of hundred rather than claim -

You don't get much for a couple of hundred these days. In any case I go for the minimum excess ~ no voluntary. Mine is £50 for a windscreen, £100 for anything else.

cottontop,

By now you should be able to protect your NCD ~ well worth it in my experience.
--
L\'escargot.
Insurance - Max No Claims Discount - cottontop
I will be having it protected, but don't know if to go comprehensive or TPFF.

I have a N plate Mk3 Golf Estate TD.

I do about 30,000 miles a year

Edited by cottontop on 08/11/2007 at 21:06