Advice on what to do now. - spence_star
Hi guys,

I am a newbie and i you have been highly recommended by a work colleague. I am in a dilemma with a company that i took my car in for repairs and they have tried to give the car back to me damaged.

My car was running as normal with some clutch issues, I took my car to a well known clutch repair chain for a clutch repair or replacement, booked it in all hunky dorie on a saturday morning.

Received a call from the company saying my flywheel is a bit damaged and instead of replacing it they could grind it down for quarter of the price. i say yes go ahead.

I then get a call to say my car is ready, so i get to the garage pay them and get into my car, i start the car and a big cloud of blue smoke comes pouring out of my exhaust, i couldn't even see. i let the car run for a while and to see if it would clear. Obviously it didn't.

I refused to take the car back and they took it in and said they will have a look, i waited for 30mins and the manager came out and said i cant figure it out leave it with me and i will strip it down and have a look.

3 days on, they take no liability and say its the coil pack and that i should pay for it as its got nothing to do with their clutch work. they pointed to the coil pack because cylinder 3 does not fire up, they changed the sparks and ignition leads as well.

i called trading standards and they said they are breaching their contract as they are giving the car back to me damaged. i threatened the head office with going ahead with trading standards, and the guy i spoke to said there's no need to do that we can work around it. he said they will get it sorted.

he then came back to me and said its a wear and tear part and has nothing to do with their work. i then gave them the benefit of the doubt and purchased a coil pack.

The result;
The coil pack made no difference, the manager then said leave it to them again and they will get another mechanic to have a look. I had a call and they said its now my head gasket, and again its due to wear and tear.

My Dilemma;

If i go through trading standards i need to pay for someone £175 to go and get a full report on what's wrong with the car from Car Checkers, to tell me the real fault. If it is the head gasket where do i stand?

It was working fine when i drove it in their garage, i use the car everyday and never had a problem, and now i get my clutch done it goes? Could it be coincidence or have they damaged my car?

What route shall i take?

Please guys, as much advice as possible please.

Regards
Spencer

Some editing to avoid breaching the name and shame policy

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 30/10/2007 at 17:51

Advice on what to do now. - OldSock
Hi Spencer. As this site has a 'no naming and shaming' policy I'll refrain from stating my opinion of the well known clutch company' - and I'll leave it to others.

I strongly suspect that your car has been taken for a 'test drive' by some spotty-faced spanner monkeys, but it will always be hard to prove this. How old is the Tigra?, Mileage etc?

Name and shame in any language !

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 30/10/2007 at 17:52

Thanks for the reponse and tip on using names.

80k on the clock.
Maybe sometimes the shaming is justified :-(
So what was your advice?
Advice on what to do now. - Gromit {P}
I would think you need to begin with an independent inspection of the car to determine what's actually wrong with it, and what the likely cause is.

Without asking the obvious, can I assume "Car Checkers" are an agency who do car inspections? Not to cast doubt on the work of a company I don't even know, but might you not be better off using a trusted independent or Vauxhaul mechanic - either someone known to you, or chosen based on personal recommendation from a satisfied customer. After all, its important that you can have complete confidence in the inspection report, whatever the outcome.
Agree with Gromit - an accurate diagnosis is the first requirement. Have you actually paid snipcharged for all these items and how did you pay? (credit card etc).

Above all, try to remain cool and avoid threats, as this can rapidly escalate things. Do you need the car urgently? Is it still with the garage?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 30/10/2007 at 17:53

I purchased the coil pack, and now cannot return it as its been used, so i have lost out there. They used their own leads and sparks to test too.

The car is still on their premises as i am refusing to take it until something gets sorted, and if i was to take it to find the true problem they may say i did something to the car etc.

I use the car everyday for work.
Advice on what to do now. - bell boy
Are you sure its not a wire or pipe off the map senser for instance as this would cause it to run really rich and belch smoke
Advice on what to do now. - Mr.Tee43
Blue smoke is usually produced by the burning of oil, Piston rings broken or valves guide and seals worn.

If it was running fine when you took it in, I would tend to agree with the poster who suggested that someone has been out for a "test ride" and thrashed the backside off it.

Hard to prove though.
Advice on what to do now. - zm
If it does turn out to be headgasket problems, I don't think you will have any case against the garage - unless the work they have done would involve distubing the HG, which I don't beleave it would. It is just an unfortunate co-incidence by the sound of it. Whilst not common, this can occur in my experience. See what Car Checkers find out.
Advice on what to do now. - Pugugly {P}
Name of company removed from Postings to avoid any breaches etc.
Advice on what to do now. - injection doc
Well difficult, it is just possible that the issue is with pistons & or rings & have come across this senario before where the gearbox bolts the two highest ones have been overtightened at the factory & once released to remove a gearbox the tension is lost in the bolts & the cylinder bores distort/ or rather they go back to their original shape but have bedded in distorted. certain cars where very prone & one common model was the fiat fire engine which used to knock like a big end failing after gearbox removal & you had to adjust the tension on the bellhousing bolts with the engine running untill the knocking stopped.

Are you sure they haven't filled the engine with gearbox oil! just another thought
Doc
Thanks for all your advice guys, i think i will do a CarCheckerscheck and see what the outcome is. If it is a head gasket then i dont kno wot leg i got to stand on, i could jus leave it to the trading standards and see what they say