53 reg (2003) 1.2 Petrol - Engine Cover Loose - cockneycooky
Hi,

My daughter has just bought a 1.2 petrol polo. The engine cover appears to be loose and rattles making it sound like a diesel.

I cant for the life of me find out how it is fixed to the engine.

Anybody got any ideas please.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/10/2007 at 13:29

1.2 Petrol - Engine Cover Loose - maltrap
the underside of the cover has 4 female sockets these push down (firmly}onto4male plugs use the oil filler neck to line it up.
1.2 Petrol - Engine Cover Loose - cockneycooky
Thanks for the reply..I have just had a look and i cant see them.. The cover is currently on but loose in one corner. How does the whole cover come off, brut force or is ther an easier way..

I have tried lifting the edges but dont want to break it.

Thanks
1.2 Petrol - Engine Cover Loose - Bill Payer
I've never taken it off myself, but watched AA men doing to twice to replace failed coil packs (3cyl cars don't run well on 2cyls!).

There are at least a couple of tubes connected to the cover which need to be removed and it seemed fiddly to disconnect those. Once that was done the cover just pulled straight off with a bit of a tug (mind you head on the bonnet catch!).
what year is the car? on my sons 1999 1litre polo the cover is held down by 4 screws covered by plastic caps on top of the cover.
1.2 Petrol - Engine Cover Loose - cockneycooky
Its 2003, 53 reg... {added to header - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/10/2007 at 13:29

according to my haynes manual all 1.2 engines (except engine code BDM) the air filter element is incorparated into the cover, various hoses have to be disconnected if removing the cover but the cover is a push fit onto rubber grommets, on engine code BDM the cover is held down with screws.
1.2 Petrol - Engine Cover Loose - supersaversam

Have you still got ythe Haynes manual for the Polo? If so could you contact me on at samuelsmith87@virginmedia.com if you want to sell? thanks Sam